Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Top Flite balncer help !!! >

Top Flite balncer help !!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Top Flite balncer help !!!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite balncer help !!!

I have been working on my first prop using the Top Flite balancer and am having trouble . The same spot comes up heavy, it seems to be the hub or thta the hub is the centerlinr of the heavy point maybe the corner of the ear also. I have filed on the hub for a number of times spin it then mark it and it always comes to the same point. What am i doing wrong ? also got any tips or links with pics to help me out ?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite balncer help !!!

Make sure that the hub is centered between the 2 cones.
If you're working on a large prop you may find that you're going ot have to remove a LOT of material.
Don't file on the hub to balance it! Just remove enough of the mold flash and that's it there. You should be working on the blades themselves.
Also, if you haven't done so, take a look at the thread pinned to the top of the general boating forum for lots of tips.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Taking for granted that your prop is centered on the shaft...it is not uncommon to have the same blade of the prop drop heavy over and over again. At least that is my experience. They don't come anywhere close to balanced from the factory.

Start by removing all flashing from the blades and hub. Make sure you check the drive dog slot to make sure it is clear too. Flatten the back of the blades too.

Then get some clay, and make sure both blades are the same shape after removing flashing from the edge of them. Press one blade and part of the hub into the clay, then line up the hub and lay the other blade into the mark made by the first blade...this is to make sure the prop is dynamically balanced.

Next is to sharpen the blades (taking for granted you are not shaping them since this is your first prop). I put an edge on the blades, then go back and blend the bevel into the rest of the blades.

AFTER all that...is when I start balancing. Check the trailing edge of the blades, some times you can see that one is physically thicker than the other. If the thicker one is the heavy one, work it down until it is the same thickness of the other, or until it is balanced...whichever comes first.

If the back of the blades are the same, then start thinning the heavy blade. In short, once you know everything else is the same about the blades, if one is still heavy, it has to be thicker than the other blade....so thin out the heavy blade. I do whichever part of the blade falls heavy. That is, if the tongue falls heavy, I thin the tongue, if the center falls heavy, thin the center, etc, etc.

Once it is sharpened and balanced...then I polish it a little. After polishing, I put it back on the balancer, and polish whichever blade falls heavy until it is balanced again.

Ask 10 different folks how to do it, and you will probably get 10 different answers.

Make sure you follow any safety precautions for the type of prop you are working...

Sean
Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Roll the balance pin on a known flat surface to make sure it's not bent.
Even the slightest bend will create a false "heavy spot".
Rotate the blade on the shaft & see if the heavy spot moves.
If it does you have something else influencing the balance.
If all checks out. Keep working on it. Sometimes it takes a lot of work.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 PM

ok thanks alot guys, I havent had a chance to touch it yet. I have been put the door at five am and home at 5 pm, then try to do family stuff and ride the harley and p;ay with boats.