Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Brand New K&B 40 Sport engine

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Brand New K&B 40 Sport engine

Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Woodmandan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New K&B 40 Sport engine

Hey
I just got this engine from my neighbor who just moved in and found them in his basement from 30 years ago exactly and he gave it to me because he doesn't have his boat anymore as it got lost. He said it is brand new and I looked inside it and it is. I have quite a few questions about this engine that some of you people who know more about K&B's help me with. Alright, first would this engine be too big for a 34 inch Delta Force hull? Also what type of fuel should I use, 10% plane or 25% car? This engine doesen't have an actual screw-on manifold like you see today, instead I see a metal wire going around the crankcase attached to a long rectangular tube going out of the side with a spring in it, I am guessing this is the muffler and could I adapt a tuned pipe to this engine? The exuast port has got a little valve attached to the fuel needle that opens and closes the exuast, If I put a tuned pipe on should I remove this? The engine has an Irvine 40 Series carb on it. I hope I get good power outta this thing, I would be really happy for at least mid 30's. Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for all of the help. Oh yea one more thing what size prop would you guys think?
Thanks Very much!!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80711.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1001559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29366.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1001560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27445.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1001561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22547.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1001562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76102.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1001563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj86790.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1001564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk34132.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1001565  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Woodmandan2

Default RE: Brand New K&B 40 Sport engine

anybody?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I was at work!
I don't know where you got the idea that it's a K&B as it clearly says OS Max on the side of the block. You can go to the OS website and you might find some info on it as they have a discontinued engine archive in there.
These were considered sport engines in their time so it's not really for racing. K&B did make a simliar one though called the Torpedo.
The exhaust was just that, nothing fancy to get the spent gases out of the way. This was before tuned pipe technology hit the R/C sector. Of course it was way before noise limits as that thing would be an understated LOUD! You might be able ot find a vintage mffler to go on it, I'm thinking that maybe Tatone could have one.
Please don't run truck or plane fuel in it as it's still a boat engine. You might find that the engine is more of a collectable and possibly worth quite a few dollars ot the right person.
This might nhelp you out a little with the history of the engine plus OS may be interested in taking it off your hands as I think that they have a trade-im program. http://www.osengines.com/history/engines-wanted.html
Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Woodmandan2

Ohh crap I put up the wrong freaking pick i also got an OS max air engine, if you dont believe me look at the flywheel differneces, im just too tired its like 1 am hehehe

sozz im an idiot ignore that pic
Old 08-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Ron Olson

I see that you edited out the OS engine!
K&B built a lot of engines back in the old days. What was also messing me up is that it appeared that you took the shots in a mirror as I could see that the OS and FP were backwards.
Are the K&B pix also mirror shots? I would expect the exhaust port to be on the right side instead of the left.
The exhaust pipe could have been from about anyone back then but I'm guessing an Octura piece.
Regardless you've got some very nice collectable engines there. K&B also might be interested in it for their showcase. It still looks to be what was their newer version of the Torpedo. The even older ones had a goofy butterfly over the exhaust port that worked with the carb.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:06 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

If you do decide to run it, use 30% heli fuel, same with all other nitro boat engines.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Woodmandan2

thanks a bunch ron and koolaid man, I have a question, what prop would you suggest and would this be too much for a 33" hull? I know that this isn't an insane powerplant, wat u guys think?
Thanks
Dan
Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Ron Olson

It shouldn't be too much for today's hulls. That was made to push older, heavier boats in its day.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

ORIGINAL: Woodmandan2

thanks a bunch ron and koolaid man, I have a question, what prop would you suggest and would this be too much for a 33" hull? I know that this isn't an insane powerplant, wat u guys think?
Thanks
Dan
I got your PM

In the video I was running a 40" long boat with a K&B .45, the prop is an Octura X447 2-blade.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Woodmandan2

thanks, what kind of speed would you guys be thinking? Also I don't want to cut into the side of my hull for the muffler, so I was wondering if I could modify a header for today's pipes and use that bracket and a tuned pipe. Also If I did this should i remove the exhaust valve? Also it has a U-Joint coupler on it, should I remove that and put on a flex shaft coupler or get the other side (which I have) and attach it to the flex shaft? Sorry for all of the questions and thanks a lot for all the help.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Woodmandan2

Where do I put the pressure Inlet on this pipe? One of the guys from the RC MECOA fourm said that I should start off with a Prather 225, so thats what I think I will start with and work from there.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about that straight pipe in the photos, there will be no pressure any where on that pipe , that is an old school megaphone and about all they did was change the sound a little.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Woodmandan2

Alrite, where do i put the pressure tube goin to the tank then? Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT PIPE OR MUFFLER THAT HAS A PRESSURE FITTING.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Woodmandan2

Umm, well I can't find a pipe for this engine right now, really there pretty much non existent. The only thing would be a pitts muffler and I called meccoa asking if they had any but they don't have them anymore. I saw somthing where somebody drilled a hole into their backplate and used it as a pressure fitting I think, or am I wrong?
Dan
Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Dan S

some engine use crank case pressure for the fuel tank, I believe some guy's have been and are still doing it on some engines but because I am unsure of the process and I don't know if it would work with your engine, I'm not going to tell you to start drilling.

Dan.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 AM
matt420

On my dads 3.5 K&B out board the CC pressure is in the motor/steering arm mount, maybe a 1/16 hole goin through the mount into the case !!!