Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

fuel?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel?

is it ok to run car fuel through a boat engine(cvr-m) or am i risking serious damage to the engine. i'm curious because my local hobby shop is closed for vacation and the nearest on is 60 miles round trip. should i risk it or make the trip.[&:]
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Default RE: fuel?

yes i run 20% bayrns with 16% oil
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Fuel, in general, varies from manufacturer with how much oil it has in it. I have been told that boats require more oil than cars or aircraft. That said, I have seen or heard about boat fuel with anything from 15 to 20 percent oil (and some rumors about 12% synth oil). Most folks look for 18% oil in their boat fuel.

Car fuel...I have seen with as little as 12 percent oil in it. I am sure folks run this fuel in boats...but in my opinion, it would not be good to do this, especially on a prolonged basis. What some folks have done, is buy the lower oil content fuel and add oil to it. But if you are trying to save yourself a trip to the hobby shop...then this would not be an answer, since you would wind up going there to buy the oil anyway...

Also, some boat fuel has a preservative (anti-rust) additive that car and aircraft fuel does not have.

Sean
Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 PM

from what i have read on this forum most run heli fuel for the higher nitro and oil .
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 PM

I'm stuck in running Traxxas car fuels.. I run the 33% nitro. You need to add 2-3oz of castor oil in one quart of fuel to boost the oil%up. This is what I was told to do. Havent had any proublems yet. Been running it like that for three years. sean when I was first running and adding castor oil. I was buying the oil at a pharmacie,was told,was ok to run that castor oil.,like CVS wrightaides walgreans and so on have. When you get to a hobbyshop. Get the SEM blending castor oil. Payed 7.37 for a 32oz of it..... But if that shop near you sells heli fuels,then get it. The three hobbyshops around me only sells car fuels.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: misshydro

I'm stuck in running Traxxas car fuels.. I run the 33% nitro. You need to add 2-3oz of castor oil in one quart of fuel to boost the oil%up. This is what I was told to do. Havent had any proublems yet. Been running it like that for three years. sean when I was first running and adding castor oil. I was buying the oil at a pharmacie,was told,was ok to run that castor oil.,like CVS wrightaides walgreans and so on have. When you get to a hobbyshop. Get the SEM blending castor oil. Payed 7.37 for a 32oz of it..... But if that shop near you sells heli fuels,then get it. The three hobbyshops around me only sells car fuels.
I was caught in a similar situation with my supervee. my local shops stocked multiple brands of 10,20, and 30%, but all car. What I ended up doing was buying a bottle of Sig klotz techniplate nitro oil. I added two OZ. to 1 gallon of O'Donnel 30% fuel, and I haven't had any trouble yet!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 AM

My friend and I both run Heli fuel 30%Nitro/20%oil. Never had any problems,and the motors come in at 140 dregrees,after 4 minutes running at WOT.Some guy's will tell you that's too much oil (?) and is bad for the engine,but I haven't found that to be the case. My motor upon tear down was clean as a whistle,no carbon at all,plus no scuffing in the sleve or pistion. My friend just picked up some more fuel that has 23%oil,and after running it,he didn't even have to change the needle settings. You do see a nice blue smoke trail ( a good indication your getting good lubrication). Ron
Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM

I dont know why someone would say that more oil would be bad for the engine... I think the main point is that oil does not create power...it it used as a lubricant and coolant for the engine. So, if an engine will run well on 16% oil (I just picked a number at random), and a person is burning 23%...well...he is getting more lubricant and cooling than the engine needs, but should also develop less power...due to the lower methanol content of the fuel.

I think if I had to pick between 12% oil car fuel, or 20% oil heli fuel... I would run the heli fuel. Of course if you are adding oil (heard good things about klotz) then I would get the 12% oil car fuel and mix to my desired oil content.

Sean