Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Flipped my shockwave, need new servos, which ones are BEST?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Flipped my shockwave, need new servos, which ones are BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flipped my shockwave, need new servos, which ones are BEST?

So I brought my shockwave 36 with me camping this week to Lake Champlain in VT. I had it rippin across some choppy waters when it suddenly does a barrel role and flips. I let it dry out and the motor is fine, but my radio box is all messed up. I can hardly control the servos with the receiver. They basically twitch back and forward on their own, so I'm assuming that I need an entire new radio box. Well, since I need new ones I might as well upgrade them to something a bit better than the stock ones. Does anyone know which are the best servos/gyro that will fit in the shockwave 36 and work with the stock pro-boat receiver?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Flipped my shockwave, need new servos, which ones are BEST?

Take your servos and Rx apart, dry them out, spray some corrosion X on them and put them back together.

They could/should be fine.

it doesn't matter how expensive the servos and the Rx are, if you don't open them to wipe them down, dry them and water proof them they will go bad.

Dan.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock servos aren't that bad but I'm a fan of the Hi-tec 645-MG servo for sterring.
While you're in there I'd replace the stock rudder linkage with some 4-40 threaded rod.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 AM
pissedoffpete

Hmm I have thought about the shockwave but see a lot of chine walking on you tube and also a barrel roll. Hmm this boat seems to have a slight issue on handling. Now another barrel roll. Is this common?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
[email protected]

The boat handles extremely well. Anytime it flips it seems to be because of driver error. That's what happened with me. I was showing off to a bunch of people and had the boat going 30mph+ in some pretty choppy waters. It was going so fast that it was flying out of the water through the air when it suddenly did a double barrel role through the air diving upside down into the water. I had to swim pretty far out to get it... Good thing it was a nice lake and not a disgusting pond!!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
[email protected]

Is this the exact servo? It does not look like a steering servo. It states it for planes and trucks, but does it matter? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=HRC32645S
Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Ron Olson

Boaters run that servo in everything from .21's on up to gas boats. When somebody mentions a good steering servo, that one is very likely to be on the list.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
t00fatt

Can you run a servo like this on the stock RX? Does it draw more power putting a strain on the RX? I'm new to r/c boating and have been reading around for a few weeks and haven't seen that mentioned. Much Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

The boat handles extremely well. Anytime it flips it seems to be because of driver error. That's what happened with me. I was showing off to a bunch of people and had the boat going 30mph+ in some pretty choppy waters. It was going so fast that it was flying out of the water through the air when it suddenly did a double barrel role through the air diving upside down into the water. I had to swim pretty far out to get it... Good thing it was a nice lake and not a disgusting pond!!
Please,
don't swim for your boat.

Dan.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
[email protected]

If I didn't swim for it, then how am I suppose to retrieve it?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Dan S

Please don't take this the wrong way.

every year someone drowns from swimming after their boat, good and bad swimmers.

This summer someone we knew from this site drowned while swimming to retrieve his boat.

check the stores around you and I think you can get an inflatable dingy for super cheap ($30 or $40 bucks).

I don't want you to stop swimming, specially on a beautiful day, you could maybe wear a life vest while retrieving your boat until you can put your hands on a retrieval boat.

Take care.

Dan.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Ron Olson

Seeing how you're on AOL, you've probably seen those pop-up ads that show a 2-man inflatable boat. I picked up one of those very boats for $20.00 and it included oars and a pump.
We've been losing R/C boaters to drownings, ike was said above, one this year and it seems like at least one or more every year. We don't want your relatives to come in here and tell us that you were the next one.
OK, now back to our regular programming.................
Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 AM
brodjack

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

If I didn't swim for it, then how am I suppose to retrieve it?

Can the wife not swim?

Brod.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CB9050, bring that boat down to Mansfield Hollow State Park in Connecticut on August 24th (AM)and the Greater Hartford Model Boat Club will show you how to prevent water from getting into the radio box and how to run safely. We also have a NAMBA District Race there on September 6th you might enjoy watching.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:39 PM
t00fatt

I don't mean to double post but do high torque servos draw more power than the stock SW36 servos? If they do, is it too much power putting a strain on the stock TX. Greatly appreciate any response!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Dan S

you meant stock Rx.

no, it won't bother the stock Rx, most Rx can handle up to 8.6 volts and some a little over 9.

it would be best to run a 5 cell 6volt pack however. even with regular servo's, using 5cells will make sure that the servo's is giving you their maximum torque.

Dan.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
t00fatt

My mistake yes the RX. I haven't gotten my boat yet as I had severe shoulder reconstruction surgery and I'm waiting to recover before I go boating. I do plan on using a 5 cell pack and mount it under the tank. So does what voltage you are running depict what servo you can use or is that irrelevant, I only ask b/c you mention most RXs can handle 8.6v. So do bigger servos need a higher voltage or more current? Or neither? Much thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Dan S

Most people run 5cell pack and although we call them 6 Volts pack if you where to take a reading of a good 5cell pack you would get approx 7 to 7.3 volts.

Some also use 6 cells and that would give a reading of a little over 8 volts.
Every servo's cheap or expensive will give you 2 different torque readings and companies rate them at 4.8 and 6 volts.

For example a JRZ590 will give 70oz @ 4.8 and 85oz @ 6 volts, it also affects the speed, at 4.8 volts the same servo will travel 60 degrees in .18sec and 60 degrees in .15sec at 6 volts. It is obvious that a 5cell pack is much more advantageous than a 4 cell and if using a 1/4 scale servo a 5cell pack is also recommended.

The size of the batteries in your pack will also dictate how much Amps you can get, for example a "AAA" cell pack are at approx 1000 to 1200mAh and a sub-C cell pack are up to I believe 4500mAh. go with what you can fit in your radio box and/or take in consideration weight if that is a factor.

the current will also affect your run time or how long will your pack last taking into consideration the current drain/how much current the servos draw.

Just like a car battery the current or Amps dictates the reserve time at a certain constant current drain (talking about a regular car battery, and not comparing deepcycle or Gel cel, or spiral grid).

Dan.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
t00fatt

Thanks for that very informative post I really appreciate it! Never had someone really explain it to me, once again thank you!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
jeff211

I've gone through all this stuff with my shockwave 36. Here's the best solution......PREVENTION. What I mean is when you put your radio box back together put the rx in a small balloon and zip tie it as well as the servos up to the horn should be in a small balloon. I have not had a single problem since i've done this (2 years). and no matter how you seal the box (tape or caulking etc..) it will still get some water in there, the balloons seem to work best.