Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 mv keeps filling with water >

mv keeps filling with water

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

mv keeps filling with water

Old 08-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mv keeps filling with water

Is it normal for my mv to be filling up with water? It will run for a couple of minutes then stop when I bring her in she's filled with water. Is this normal for the hydros to fill up with water and then stop? I've read some people drill holes in the back on the transom to drain water is this a good idea? Also I noticed theres alot of fuel floating in the hull and seems to be coming from the header. I checked the bolts to make sure there tight could I have a bad gasket?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Default RE: mv keeps filling with water

ORIGINAL: pcg33k

Is it normal for my mv to be filling up with water? It will run for a couple of minutes then stop when I bring her in she's filled with water. Is this normal for the hydros to fill up with water and then stop? I've read some people drill holes in the back on the transom to drain water is this a good idea? Also I noticed theres alot of fuel floating in the hull and seems to be coming from the header. I checked the bolts to make sure there tight could I have a bad gasket?
I would check your cooling lines...make sure nothing is cracked or disconnected.

It is normal for the boat to fill up with water AFTER it stops...but not normal for it to fill up that bad while it is running.

I have not drilled extra transom holes in any of our three MVs...but we do run them with the drain plug out.

Header gaskets probably need to be changed every time you fool around with the header. They get brittle and break.

Sean
Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 PM

I guess the first thing to do is figure out where the water is coming from
With my boat, water was leaking through the propshaft area

As for drilling a hole, it's a bit more than just drilling a hole, but it is a good idea I would say
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from years of experience, putting a hole in the transom is typical for a mono hull. In a rigger or hydro, the radio box typically isolates the engine compartment from the transom area. If that's the case with your boat putting a hole through the left rear bottom of the engine compartment is normally done. I like to put a hood over the hole so the water can drain out but not blow in in rough water. If the engine compartment water can get to the transom area the drill a hole through the transom. Water will pump up through the shaft housing but it shouldn't be so much as to fill the boat. As Sean suggested, check the integrity of the cooling lines and make sure the discharge water goes overboard.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I don't know but I feel very disappointed in the MV it seems more problematic then my blackjack. One good thing is the Aquacraft engine seems to start easier than the stock .15 dynamite engine in my blackjack. I did check the water lines and there doesn't seem to be a leak that I can tell. The boat seems to cavitate when slowing down or coming out of a turn. I think if I change the prop to a quality prop like Octura y535 it should help with this problem. I guess I was expecting a little more out of this boat. It seems very popular and from the postings it seems to really haul ass. Maybe I'm just having a bad day. Thanks everyone for helping me out.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 AM

If you have pulled that mv out of the box and put batteries and fuel in it and went out to the pond without reading about props ,strut height and angle, improvements to rudder just to name a few would be the problem for any newbe running a new vegas, All of the fellas I know around here that own vegas"s wont ever go back to any other rtr boats once they get em dialed in[ disappointment in the mv has been very rare once you get her up on plane and handeling the turns, if 40mph is'nt enough you will need to spend a lot more money, Ill get off the old soap box now he he.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 PM

This is actually my second boat so I had an idea that I needed to check all the bolts to make sure they were tight. I have played with the strut height a little bit dropping it down in small increments. I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off buying a hull and building it up from scratch. I haven't completely given up on my mv but I am a little frustrated. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Do you still have the stock prop on it? If you do that is the first thing you need to do is round file that plastic junk prop, put the grim 3 blade on , set strut to 9/16" from bottom of hull to center of the prop shaft with a very slight down angle this should get you very close, and about 2 3/4 turns out on the hs needle if the engine is new, okie dokie.