Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Need a Good Fast Boat >

Need a Good Fast Boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Need a Good Fast Boat

Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Good Fast Boat

I got a K&B 3.5 outboard and looking for a good boat that I can put it in, but I do got 2 requirements tho.
1. Boat hull needs to be light and strong "to withstand my punishment"
2. I like to go fast.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Need a Good Fast Boat

i just put one in a dumas tunnel hull i got for 20 bucks at a race this weekend, lol. dumas tunnel hulls look to be pretty decent durability wise. i havent seen an outboard on much of anything besides tunnels. never on a mono, once or twice on a hydro, and only once on a rigger.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Just curious, what advantages does a outboard have over an in-board. Is it b/c tunnels like weight at the stern or is it just an appearance thing? Also can you remove the flex shaft or does it need to be lubed while installed in the outboard? I have no interest in running an outboard as I run in saltwater, just trying to learn a bit more. Much Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, you can remove the flex cable by spliting the case.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 PM
My Feedback: (3)

i ran my 3.5 tunnel setup today, im pretty sure it's a dumas hot shot. was only running 20% as its brand new and im gonna be breaking it in for a while. the thing seemed pretty stable on the water, and will probably never sink, even if it flipped over. these things will go fast, i saw them racing this weekend. it also seems very stable considering the CG seems so high. i love the tunnel outboard setup, it seems to do very well, just know that it's not really designed to be a "sport" boat, but rather as more of a racing boat. outriggers are the absolute fastest boats out there, but are not as durable as other hull types as they tend to be made out of hobby plywood vs. fiberglass (although a lot of tunnels are still wood as well, they seem a lot more durable). again, the only thing i regularly see with an outboard is a tunnel hull, so you might be running one unless you can get hold of an inboard.

sorry for the long msg, just wanted to cover some bases i guess...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 PM

NITRO66612:

Seems no one is answering your question. The most talked about tunnel hull is the VS-1 but it is not in production yet, though a well-known PRO named GRIMRACER has one and has been testing it. Sounds like it wont come out til fall/winter and there is a awaiting list of people who preordered it; if you are willing to wait, that would put you into what is being touted as a race-winning-ready hull right out of the box. Sometimes it is best to be patient and spend your money wisely.

There are very few "NEW" tunnel hulls to choose from.... and if you buy used, if you dont know your mfrs makes/models, it likely you'll by one that is a 20 yr old design that wont be very competitive - so ask before you buy a used one. Just some advice....
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

How about a Spitfire 1, that should fit both of you're requirements,,you can find them on EBAY used,or a new one here, http://hyperformanceproducts.com/