Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 props for miss elam 1/12 nitro >

props for miss elam 1/12 nitro

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

props for miss elam 1/12 nitro

Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default props for miss elam 1/12 nitro

John Here: The props that come with the boat break. They are 1.34x2.06. Where do you get metal preferably stainless steel ones or better still who has made others work? Any other suggestions on what works with this boat better than from the box. Regards All.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Default RE: props for miss elam 1/12 nitro

Hey John... This may not be an exact answer, but I thought it could point you in the right direction. I have a few .12 size boats I built many years ago. I used the 4mm running gear... Not sure the size of yours. I have some Octura props in my box and checked the size for you... A Y432 I'm running on a mono... I have a Y435 in the box as a spare and I have a Y535 on a cat type hull. I'm not sure which prop will match your current set up, but Octura props may be a place to start. I'm sure someone else will have more exact input...

Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 AM

I have a probaot 1/12 Miss Bud. Your prop shaft is 1/8" or 0.125 and the closest to the factory plastic prop is the x435 from Octura which is 35 . Get yourself a prop chart like this:

www.rcboataholic.com/hardware/prop_chart.htm

Then you can see what props are similar to this and make your choices accordingly. Pitch BTW is the theoretical distance a prop will travel in 1 revolution. So the pitch of the x435 is 1.929 - where as a 1735 has 2.362 pitch - so the boat should go farther per rev which would seem to equate to more speed but it not always that easy. A prop guy named Mark Sholund (props4u) told me that the key to SPEED is getting these small engines to turn MORE RPM's - and stpping up pitch and cup for thrust actually prevents the engine from attaining higher RPM's. His theory is that people should use less cup/pitch to allow the engine to spin FASTER to get more speed. I'm not sharp enough to question him. You should also know that a prop's diameter can be reduced which also allows an engine to turn faster.... however, realize VERY SMALL changes have BIG effects. Read PiperChuck's sticky thread on props at the top of this forum - it is FULL of valuable info.

todd
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM

I have a probaot 1/12 Miss Bud. Your prop shaft is 1/8" or 0.125 and the closest to the factory plastic prop is the x435 from Octura which is 35mm in diameter. Get yourself a prop chart like this:

www.rcboataholic.com/hardware/prop_chart.htm

Then you can see what props are similar to this and make your choices accordingly. Pitch BTW is the theoretical distance a prop will travel in 1 revolution. So the pitch of the x435 is 1.929 - where as a 1735 has 2.362 pitch - so the boat should go farther per rev - which would seem to equate to more speed but it not always that easy. A prop guy named Mark Sholund (props4u) told me that the key to SPEED is getting these small engines to turn MORE RPM's - and stepping up pitch and cup for thrust actually prevents the engine from attaining higher RPM's. His theory is that people should use less cup/pitch to allow the engine to spin FASTER to get more speed. I'm not sharp enough to question him. You should also know that a prop's diameter can be reduced which also allows an engine to turn faster.... however, realize VERY SMALL changes have BIG effects. Read PiperChuck's sticky thread on props at the top of this forum - it is FULL of valuable info.

todd
Old 09-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Octura M435/3blade prop will work best for your boat.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Sidcraft... Got your PM... I've been out of the hobby a while and just starting to tinker again... Not sure where the best place to get Octura props... Can someone else suggest???
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: jac32224

Sidcraft... Got your PM... I've been out of the hobby a while and just starting to tinker again... Not sure where the best place to get Octura props... Can someone else suggest???
this guy always treats me right, superfast shipping too.........
http://www.finedesignrc.com/

davey