Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How to make an adjustable strut setup to your proboat hydro's.

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

How to make an adjustable strut setup to your proboat hydro's.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make an adjustable strut setup to your proboat hydro's.

Ok here we go!! Here's what you will need to do this cheap and easy set up! For one you need one 3/16 brass tube one 7/32 brass tube and one 1/4 brass tube......Next you need Miss Vegas flex cable,,, adjustable strut,,,If you want Rudder too,brass shaft bushing,one rudder rod....... Strut brackets Theres two versions.......One is welded the other is the poor man bolt togther bracket......Step one pull out the tefflon liner out.......Step two cut off the tube like I did pic#1. STEP 3 cut 4 1/2 of 3/16 brass tube step4 cut 1/4 of 7/32 tube.......STEP 5 solder the 7/32 on the 3/16 brass tube like in pic#2......STEP 6 cut off 1 3/4 of 1/4 brass tube then slip over the 7/32 tube and solder that on like pic #3......The tube complete lenght should be 5 3/4 long after done.......Ok the strut bracket! poor man bolt on bracket you need a 1"x1'L angle,drill the holes for the bottom bolt.......THEN notch out the rear for the rudder seal and drill two holes for the vegas strut bracket,drawings on pic #4 will show you demetions on two brackets......If you can get it welded then do bracket #1,cost of tig welding should be under 10.00.....Got mine done for 5.00. If you cant get any welding done,then do bracket #2.......Pic #5 will show bracket # 1...... Pic #6 will show bracket #2.......I'm waiting on my L angel thats on order. I'd used two vegas Strut brackets to show you what it would look like. Ok flex cable lenght should be cut at 13" first to try out. Mine is at 12 3/4......Cut the cable with a die grider with cut off wheel......when you strut bracket is done. bolt it on first,then slide the tube into the strut then into the old tube to your boat.....Besure you put the strut brushing in and have it set flush agaist the strut in the tube.....After its all together then solder the back part of the 3/16 tube into the big tube that it will go into your boat......Then slide the tefflon tube from the inside motor compartment tube,slide it in until it stops,then cut the extra off........The 3/16 tube idea was from Toyota trucking,he used a 3/16 tube on his miss vegas because its easyer to bend with out flexing the hull bottom badly.......The strut setup was by you know who,company,but was improved better and cost less from what they charges.......You also need to move your rudder over,it need to be a 1 1/2 apart to clear the prop.......If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them....... Later on I'll go into converting the strait shaft over to a adjustble flex drive system too......The last two pic are the welder strut bracket setup on my oberto.......I know I got acouple pics mixed up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97390.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1027052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95720.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1027053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48660.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1027054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33628.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1027055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37728.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1027056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81455.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1027057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82386.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1027058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83124.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1027059  

Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 AM
misshydro

Default RE: How to make an adjustable strut setup to your proboat hydro's.

No taker??[] Its any easy setup.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Dan S

Anna,

nice post,
if you don't mind getting some advice, next time you type a big blurb like this separate them into small paragraph of 3 to 5 lines each.
It will be easier to follow and not as hard on the eyes.

Dan.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 AM
3ns

Hi all.
I've started on a new project, to mob my 1/12 hydro. I've tried to run the boat in water but never really got it to. this boat that I've bought, has given me more headachs than anything that I've done so far. I know this is a BIG project for me but afetr spending the amount of money( enough to buy a new one) on this n that just to make it run, I tot I might as well do everything. So i deceided to do some of the following to the boat and give it a new face lift before I try it again.

1. I've cut off the portion where the straight shaft exits. This is to install adjustable strut to it and install Flex shaft.
2. I've cut a opening on the hull and removed the battery box. This is to strenghten the bottom of the box so that I can remove the Plywood which was attached to it. And also to cover the hole on the bottom of the boat which happen when I sanded the bottom from the outside.
3. Removed the wooden rails (Engine mounts), thinking of installing 90 dec Aluminium Angel bars(2.5mm thickness) instead. This is to raise the engine so that the Header can be install and removed easily.
4. I wan to change the stock servo, but noy sure wat to get and where.
5. Finally will paint the boat. I m thinking of painting it White.

Pls be kind enough to give any advise you can to make this a sucsess. I m not a tech guy, but love to do things and learn. I've been inspired by all the photos and notes of your projects.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:16 PM
misshydro

if anyone have other ideas plase feel free to post them on here.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
GnrlPatton

Hey Miss Hydro-
I'm looking to convert my straight shaft Bud to a flex shaft adjustable drive. You said in the post that you were doing that as well, if you've done it, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 AM
toyotatruckin

Ideas, Humm I have the original blueprints to the proboat adjustable drive,BJ skater system and several dozen other hop-up parts sitting in my filing cabinet just waiting for me to get time to make..