Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 NewBee in mod. nitro >

NewBee in mod. nitro

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

NewBee in mod. nitro

Old 09-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NewBee in mod. nitro

Hey guys looking for some help.I"v been into nitro ovel racing for years,wanted to try boating so I got a 40" aromarie cat that has a .45 osp mod. in it.Seems to run well on stand but when I drop it in the drink it stalls.I would think the engine is plenty big.I dont know??? I would love to see this cat runing 55 like I was told it does.Thanks lawnlizard
Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NewBee in mod. nitro

Boats need a very rich mixture on shore, so much you need to blip the throttle to keep clearing it out for it to keep running. They need to be tuned much richer than any other RC. Try that for starters.

Be sure to give it a good forward toss and hit the throttle at the same time, too. Boats need a good launch. A launch buddy is nice to have.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 PM

I agree with jetpack,

your too lean.

Dan.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM

I will try to will try to play with the needle some more,but its sooooooo sensitive.Not used to it yet.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: lawnlizard

Hey guys looking for some help.I"v been into nitro ovel racing for years,wanted to try boating so I got a 40" aromarie cat that has a .45 osp mod. in it.Seems to run well on stand but when I drop it in the drink it stalls.I would think the engine is plenty big.I dont know??? I would love to see this cat runing 55 like I was told it does.Thanks lawnlizard

make sure ur not over prop coz it put too much load during launching and will stall, also check prop height, too low and negative angle will do the same....give a pretty decent engine rev while launching,,,bad glow plug or not the right one may cause engine stall once boat hits the water...goodluck...

i don't think the engine is too big for the hull size, other guys use gas engine on that hull..
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks wave walker,didnot think of prop size what would be the wright size for my 40" cat there is a octuro x447 on it now, i have no clue what is needed, like i said newbee!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM

lawnlizard,

which Cat from Aeromarine do you have,
reason I ask is that the closest they have to 40 inches is 36 or 42 inch.

knowing which Cat it is will help us help you.

Dan.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM

The only two cats that Aeromarine made to run with a .45 are the 29" and 36" Sprintcat. The 42" is made for a .80 So if your boat is the 42" it may be an undersized engine. If your boat is either the 29" or 36", then your prop bay be oversized. I'm don't really know too much about props but I'm sure someone here (Dan...help me out please?) could probably tell you how to choose one.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM

That's why I need lizard to tell us exactly which Cat he has or at least the correct size.

That way we can tell for what size of engine the hull was designed and we can point him towards the right size engine or Prop.

but the X447 should work on a good .45, it all depends what Cat it is.

Dan.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Hey dan s thanks for help.Idont know what hull it is boutht it on ebay,its an older hull 12 years to be exact.It is 36" long with hardware its alittle over 40.The darn thing looks new!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM

When boats are measured, they are measured from tip right to the transom. The running gear is not included.

Does your boat look anything like this one?
[link=http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Boat/boats/scropion_45.jpg]Boat Pic[/link]

It's hard to find the parts for such an old boat... atleast.. the stock parts.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Guzzler no it looks nothing like that.Its much more boxxy looking its a cat frount to back also very wide I will try to get my GF to get me a picture up i dont know how.WOW there it is maybe its not even a aromarine Im sure you guys will let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72275.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1029801  
Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM

lizard,

nope close but no cigars, don't think its an Aeromarine.

look inside the hull, if its an Aeromarine there will be a sticker laminated inside stating so with the hull number.

Dan.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Ok maybe not aromarine but what about the prop size for a36" hull and 45 mtr.would like to know so i can check that off my list of things to try so my mtr dose not stall out when i drop it in the river.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:41 PM

You can always call Mark Sholand at www.props4u.com - he is always willing to give prop advice and he sells sharpened/balanced props, changes cup etc; I even had him back cut a prop for me.

todd hollander
Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM

yea its an aeromarine hull.

Keep the prop around 47mm dia and it should go.. also it should NOT idle well on shore (must be fat fat fat).. you will have to jab the throttle to keep it running.

Grim
Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 PM

K well. I've looked around on the net... and here are the recommended Octura props for a 7.5cc engine, running suface drive: X447, X447/3, X548, X646/3, X648

Here are the recommended Octura props for a 7.5cc engine, running submerged drive: X447, X645, X646

Here are the recommended Prather props for a 7.5cc engine: 235, 240.

*Note Octura props that have a "/3" at the end. This means a 3 bladed prop. For example, X447/3 means the 3 bladed X447 (there is also a 2 bladed X447 which is the one without the /3).

More generally, if you don't like those props, recommended specs for a .45/7.5cc engine, is 2.00" - 2.12" diameter and 3.2" - 3.3" pitch.

Obviously, messing around with props outside these recommendations are highly encouraged as engine performance varies.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 PM

Now thats what im looking for.Thanks very much I will fattin it up and try again, then I will try some diff. props,I have some of the ones you have mention.Also do you know if this hull was a good one.Again thanks Guzzler and Grimracer
Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 AM

Good Luck. And keep us updated. Pics are thouroughly enjoyed also.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Hey there...all the info above is definitely where to start, but I just wanted to chime in one more thing, and that is to make sure you don't have any air leaks. If it's leaking even the smallest amount of air it will make engine tuning impossible. To check it, with the fuel cap in place securely, remove the fuel supply line to the carb & pinch it closed. Then remove the pressure line from the exhaust pipe that goes to the tank and blow into it. You shouldn't be able to blow. If you can blow, listen real closely and you will be able to find the air leak by the hissing sound, and it will be due to a leak in the tank, bad seal on the cap, or bad tubing. But dying right when it hits the water definetly sounds too lean/wrong prop like they said...try richening up first, definitely take the previous prop reccomendations, and do this air leak check if you haven't already. Hope it works out for you, love to see old skool boats still on the water...-William