Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

1/12 hydro tear down

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

1/12 hydro tear down

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 PM
3ns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/12 hydro tear down

Hi all.
I've started on a new project, to mod my 1/12 hydro. I've tried to run the boat in water but never really got it to. This boat that I've bought, has given me more headachs than anything that I've done so far. I know this is a BIG project for me but afetr spending the amount of money( enough to buy a new one) on this n that just to make it run, I tot I might as well do everything. So i deceided to do some of the following to the boat and give it a new face lift before I try it again.

1. I've cut off the portion (below the hull) where the straight shaft exits. This is to install adjustable strut to it and install Flex shaft.
2. I've cut a opening on the hull and removed the battery box. This is to strenghten the bottom of the box so that I can remove the Plywood which was attached to it. And also to cover the hole on the bottom of the boat which happen when I sanded the bottom from the outside.
3. Removed the wooden rails (Engine mounts), thinking of installing 90 dec Aluminium Angel bars(2.5mm thickness) instead. This is to raise the engine so that the Header can be install and removed easily.
4. I wan to change the stock servo, but noy sure wat to get and where.
5. Finally will paint the boat. I m thinking of painting it White.

Pls be kind enough to give any advise or better ideas you can to make this a sucsess. I m not a tech guy, but love to do things and learn. I've been inspired by all the photos and notes of your projects.

tks, 3ns
Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Woodmandan2

Default RE: 1/12 hydro tear down

Is this gonna be nitro or electric? A chinese boat I assume? I would lay some fiberglass if converting from nitro to electric on a chinese boat.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
3ns

Hi Woodman.

Tks n yes it's from CHINA. It's nitro n will stay d same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36965.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1029693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91381.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1029694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42611.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1029695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89662.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1029696  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
THEguzzler

3ns. Please do not post in more than one topic. This is considered spamming and you may be penalized.

Towards your servo questions, If you really like your radio then you could just get a servo. If you don't really like it, or it's beat up, I'd suggest getting a new radio system with servos, preferably high torque servos.

You could paint the boat and then for a cooler look, you can get just the decal sets of most boats. Just stick them on after the paint's cured.

The wooden engine mounts should be changed to aluminum. This is because you WILL get water in the boat and it WILL rot eventually. you could also get fibreglass and/or resin to cover it. Some people thin the resin out with alcohol so the wood soaks it in and waterproofs it. I wouldn't recommend this though. It will bog down your hydro if you do it PROPERLY.

Good luck.
-Nam
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
3ns

Hi Nam.
Tks 4 d info. I m new to this, so was not aware. Anyway got d msg n will keep in mind.
I m thinking of using d exsisting servo n radio for my retrival boat n get a new set for the
Hydro.Wat would u recommend? My stock push rods r about 1.5mm diameter, do u tink i should
change them also?

Tks. 3ns
Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
misshydro

My push rods are heavyer that that. I"d used 2/256 or a 4/440 push rods. That boat is a proboat Miss Bud first gen copie. I think they where subcontracted to build proboats hulls at that time. Until pro saw them making there own boats with Pros molds!!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:09 PM
THEguzzler

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't contracted to produce them but simply copied. It's happening more and more with Chinese products. The only difference is generally undersized and weaker parts to bring costs down. As for the technical stuff, misshydro could probably help you out more than I can. I don't have too much experience with hydros.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
misshydro

Hay 3ns!! junk the header and muffler!!! That will hamper your power&speeds!! Get a Proboat header and tune pipes and you'll see the real differents in power&performance&speeds.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM
TCHedOff

I asked about servos a while back (for a .21 rigger) on IW. The concensus for throttle was HiTech HS 85MG (metal gears). There was rather more debate on rudder servos - HS 225MG (@60 oz/in) to HS 645MG (@100 oz/in). I ended up with the 85MG and the 645MG. The 1/12 isnt going to need as much torque as a .21 so something @60 oz/in is going to be fine. For what it is worth the 85MG is SMALLER/LIGHTER than your stock servo's.

Pushrods: Broke the throttle one the first summer I bought my Miss Bud 1/12 - they are THIN & Brittle... good idea to step up in diameter.

Aluminum Engine Mounts: Havent done this to my boat yet (will do when I have to - but I HAVE given it some thought). I was going to try 2 things: 1) Instead of running them the full length of the engine area, I was going to try maybe 5"' in length - w/L-shaped aluminum.... using the bottom of the "L" turn outwards away from the engine for more surface area to glue in place; I wanted to cut slots in these brackets so I could slide the engine forward/backward to adjust CG until I found the sweet spot. You see, at some point I'm going to move a .21 Novarossi in it and I want to use the engine weight to help keep the nose down. Just some thoughts.

todd h
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 AM
3ns

Hi.
tks guys.

Miss hydro, do proboat ship to ASIA? I actually tot of getting the stuffs from them, but was not sure if they'll ship it here.
I m having difficulty gettting gd parts here, cos the lhs here dont do boats.

Todd, wat make are these servos? They sell HITECH in of the lhs here. I m afraid to trust the shops here, cos thats how i
got into this mess in the 1st place.

Tks again.

3ns
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 AM
misshydro

I think they do ship to Asia. You could also look in ebay for them too. I'm running a traxxas 2055 hight tork servo on my .21 oberto hydro. Its 85oz tork. Got that new from ebay for 8.00!!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would he want to run a proboat header and pipe missey?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 AM
misshydro

look at the pic F16man,the muffler isnt a tune pipe and the header looks to be to long. I'd heard alot of reports about chinese boats with that ezack setups arent fast,like the arrowsharks boats gas&nitro .Both have muffles no tune pipes.It's because they dont have a true tune pipes on there boats,they have mufflers.So your not getting the boost/power. You dont have to get a proboat tune pipe,but proboats header&tune pipe is a better setup then the chinese. You can also try a MAC 2.5 or anyone's elses tune pipe.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 AM
TCHedOff

3NS: The HS servos ARE Hitec's: Here is one of many places you can order online:
http://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html
The page is nice because it has them all on 1 page w/specs (alot easier to use the Tower Hobbies).

If you decide to go with a MAC 2.5 tuned pipe on your Proboat, be aware that it DOESNT fit inside the cowl of the boat. The radius of the curve ends up having it run essentially down the length of the cowl... so you either have to cut the cowl or modify the header (which is what I did). But it was tricky, and I had a local 1:1 propshop weld the cut down pipe together ($20)
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
TCHedOff

OOPS[X(] I said MAC 2.5 "tuned pipe" in my post - I was referring STRICTLY to the header I bought - sorry!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
misshydro

yep proboat header will fit with out any mods to cowl. MAC I would say yes to modeding the cowl.But you dont need the MAC header just the tune pipe. Hears one IDEA!!! Just get the tune pipe first to see how she runs first,If it runs,like hits the pipes or you can hear hit rev up/speed up when you go full throtle then you dont have to get that header.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
THEguzzler

Yea the macs 2.5 is awesome as is, but there's always potential for more. You just gotta cut a little bit off the end at a time till you get to the sweet spot. Boy, do you KNOW when it's there.
I don't think Proboat ships to China, and their retailer, HorizonHobbies doesn't have China listed. Like misshydro said, just check ebay. You can get MOST proboat parts there.
Have you thought of a new prop?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 PM
3ns

Hi every1.
Tks 4 all d info n ideas. I've made order for a tuned pipe and header on ebay.
The gd news is the guy is also from here, so i don have to pay for shipping. But I
m sure it would be added in the purchase price. I don tink it would be much of
a differene in price tho.
I've also oredered a turn fin and prop, but m trying to figure out the right prop for
d boat. Which is better? 2 blade or 3 blades?
I was told that 2 blades r gd but cos viberations. 3 blades with smaller diameter
whould be better. Is this true? I m also not sure if i should get d metal or plastic ones.
I've read that the metal ones r better than d plastic, but I m not sure on how to sharpen
n balance.
I would like to sort all dis out b4 i start to glue back d boat 2gether.
Does any1 know where in Copenhagen/Denmark i would be able to get parts for my boat?
Cos I m here now n will be leaving on friday back to Singapore.
I'll post pic of my boat as it is now once i have d photos. I would like to hear your views n ideas.

Tks.
3ns
Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
TCHedOff

Seeing as you ordered both a header & tuned pipe (Mac 2.5 I assume).... he is a pic of how you have to modify the header to fit under the cowl.

Name:	Db83866.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1030460  
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 AM
3ns

Hi everyone.
What would be a good size engine for dis boat. As I've mentioned before I've got a .18 Vertex engine. I tot. as I m doing all dis changes I would might as well change d engine too. There is a guy here who sells .21 n .25 engines. I tink they r called CY. I m not sure where they r from but he claims they r not made in CHINA. I tot of getting one from OS but they r out of my budget for now. I m converting the drive line to a flexi.

I've striped the paint off and replaced fibber in places where i've cut holes. I've also made a new radio box out of Balsa wood n have used Epoxy to strenthen it. The wings have been cut off to reduse some weight. Found alluminium plates inside the hull where the Rudder and Pipe mount bracket are attached. I suppose they r there for the strength as the fiberglass on the hull is very thin.

Tks.

Name:	Yw69144.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1046794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12657.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1046795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99099.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1046796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13155.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1046797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48374.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1046798  
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 AM
d-lo

here is a little stuff you might be interested in........
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7975856
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
3ns

Tks.D-lo.

To tell u d truth, dats the thread that inspired me to do wat i m doing. I m no technical or fiber guy so found the thread very informative(Photos). Dis is my 1st boat ever.

Can u let me know what is the thickness of the Ply on the transom of your boat. Mine has no Ply, just a piece of Allminium[>:]. It looks like 2cm x 2cm n m not sure how thick it is. The alluminium is placed at the center where the Rudder Bracket was mounted.

Now that I m going to use an adjustable Strut, I m afraid that there will not be enough space for the Rudder bracket and the strut bracket to be secured on that piece of alluminum.
Any ideas??[&o]

I've made a Engine Mount out of 2.5mm thick Alluminium L angle piece. I've also made a bracket for the Pipe Holder out of the same material.

I've made some last minute changes on the boat. I m cutting off the Canopy (not sure what u call it) by 5". This would put the exit at about the center of the boat. I'll flush out the opening for the radio box(after removing the box) n make a new one.

Do you tink there might be some weight consern with all these new allminuim hardwares??

I m really not sure how it's going to turn out, but hope it works out. Cos my wife has told me that she'll turn the boat to plant pot if it doesn't work out.[&o]

Tks.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM
misshydro

since you riped it apart like that.. I would epoxy a 1/8 peice of alum on the inside and put a cloth fiberglass over the alum trans plate.then drill and tap that plate for strut and rudder to mount on it..I will look better then what D-lo did on the out side with the alum plate.. Your going to make that boat to heavy!![:@] these boats are very centive to adding weight..That motor mount is a over kill=to heavy!!![:@] I bet that boat will weigh 6 pounds when its done!!![>:] You better planing to run a good .21 to move that heavy boat or your going to have a real slug on your hands....[:@]
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
3ns

Hi misshydro.
TKs.
Wat would u suggest to replace d alluminuim for the Engine Mounts?[X(] I tried to do wat D-lo had done with his mount wit ply, but could not do it cos my boat is not even on the surface. N i cant put my hands into it to sand it down[>:]

I don tink I will be able to put Alluminuim on d transom as u suggested. Cos dat means i need to cut it even further.[&o] Any other suggestion?

I've cut off the rear Spoiler Wings. will this help in reducing d weight?

Btw, can u explain wat i need to get for a flex shaft driveline.

Tks
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 PM
misshydro

Heres what to do with out cuttinup any ferther.You cut a piece of alum about the same size as the inner trans..Then epoxy it on the inside.. In stead of putting the alum plate on the outside like D-lo did,put it on the inside!!!! It would be better and cleanner looks too...I'd cut off my tail fins and wing and replace it with good balsa wood ,coated them with epoxy then mount my tail fins on hinges like the real ones are,this way they dont crack like there prone to do,plus the new tailfins and wing is 3/4 lighter then the old stockers!! You shouldve sanded the old radio box like most of us did and brush two coat of epoxy on the inside of the box to give the radio box bottom more steanth/stronger... You made more work for you self=your going to add to much weight to that boat! I'd learnd that three years ago!! I'd been there and done that.. made mistakes and learnd from them too. You need a 3/16 brass tube for your flex drive cable..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.