Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Miss Vegas drive shaft problems need help >

Miss Vegas drive shaft problems need help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Vegas drive shaft problems need help

Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Vegas drive shaft problems need help

i have had 2 drive cables break in my miss vegas both were at the front of the cable about .5-1.5 inches from where the driveshaft cuples with the motor. it happened from throttleing from idle to full both times

one of the times i lost my prop,cable,stuffingtube and the prop shaft strut brushing.( luckly it hobbico gave me a refund both times)

i am running the stock setup w/ a 36 by 55 prop (y535)
i dont think i hit anyhting cause the first time it happened i managed to save the prop which didnt have a scrach on it

i have a new prop, cable, nylon stuffingtube and the prop shaft strut brushing w/ brass stuffing tube

i was thinking to was to much drive train resistance in the brasss stuffing tube causeing the front of the drive cable to spin faster then the rear of the cable when "gunning it" thus shredding the cable

also the new nylon stuffing tube i have i have to jam on the drive cable in order to make it fit, should i do this or not use it?

any ideas?

help?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Miss Vegas drive shaft problems need help

You are greasing the cable right?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM

yep a lot
i also noticed the cable was rubbing on the brass tube so i cut the tube back about 1/3 of a inch and i didnt leave 3mm between the prop and the strut if that matters

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM

replace the flex coupler. At times there junk.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM

You didnt leave a gap between the drive dog and the strut?? If so, that would be your problem...

The cable gets shorter under power. If there is no room for it to get shorter, it will put strain on the flex and wear it out faster.

Do you have a 130 or 150 flex cable?? More of a curiousity question than anything else...

Is the flex shaft collet on your engine and the stuffing tube line up with each other?? If not, you need to shim the engine so they line up. This too will cause a lot of extra wear on the cable.

Does your collet spin true?? If not, replace it with an octura collet. They have them for both 130 and 150 cables...so no matter which flex you have you will be able to get an octura collet for it.

Sean
Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 PM

well i went out and ran it slowly

i ran it w/o the nylon stuffing tube (its really tight on the cable should i put it on?)
i raised the engine a tiny bit so it wouldnt rub and gave the prop a 3mm gap

a weird thing happened the front of the drive shaft the first 3mm half halfway shered off

its hard to explain so heres a pic (the first one = new one (1.5) second one broken (1.5) 3rd broken (1.3) (the one i lost my prop/ect with)

how hard should i tighten the coupler? (i tend to tighten it 1-1.5 turns past hand tight) that might explain the halfway sheering on the 1st one

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79812.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1029916  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You better take a good look at the end of your collet and make sure there is not a burr or bent over at the outer end of the clamp inside, also the shaft should slide thru the tube and into the collet without any force. Also the flex shaft should spin in the tube and collet without resistance before you tighten the collet.