Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

OS Max .65 vr-m

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

OS Max .65 vr-m

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
deslok113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Max .65 vr-m

I have an old OPS .65 with yellow head engine, that is from the 70's. It has stronger compression than the OS max .65 vr-m engine I have recently purchased (which appears much newer). Do large OS engines have lower compression than most other engines or is the piston shroud bad in this engine? If the shroud is bad that means that the Que Yon (not a very nice french word) who sold me this engine sold me a lemon. The shrouds brand new from Tower are $153!!! Since I paid $170 for the engine I may have been ripped off. Well that's the risk you take when you buy things on ebay. [:@]
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS Max .65 vr-m

Pull it apart and inspect all parts for wear, I have bought old engines that the bolts were just loose and was dry inside [no oil] put them back together with some oil and wa la good compression and fire right up.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 PM
dannyual777

About 5 yrs ago, my first ever ebay purchase was a K&B .82 inboard engine. The pictures of the engine looked great-almost brand new. I ended up paying about $150 for it and when it came in the mail, it looked as good as in the pictures. HOWEVER......it had very little compression! I took the engine apart and the piston and sleeve looked like they came out of a 100yr old engine; completely worn out [sm=punching.gif] .

I found out that a new piston and sleeve was going to cost quite a bit of money. It still makes me mad to think about it so I feel your pain, deslok. But hopefully, its just an easy fix like f16man said.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:27 PM
d-lo

ditto f16man, i bought an older (ebay) motor, tore it down, cleaned it up, re-assembled it, (using tranny fluid for lube...) super compression, and it runs great.....

davey
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 AM
deslok113

Well The engine kept flooding and flooding. So I added a pressure bleed line to the fuel tank. The engine ran flawlessly. The only quirk is that at high rpm the bleed line washes a little fuel/air onto the deck. I bench ran it with an electric pump to pump water through the head. I will take it on this coming fishing trip, and see how it performs against my chase boat; 15' bass boat with 60hp Merc. If I trim it right I can get my big boat to run at 45-48mph. At 48mph depending on bayou/wind conditions sometimes she'll start porpoising so if the r/c boat will do greater than 45mph I won't be able to keep up with it in the big boat. The OPS .65 engine I had in it before I put the OS max in it blew my big boat away. I had to throttle back so the big boat could catch up! If I get this promo at work I may either upgrade the 60hp Merc to a 75hp Merc or if the boss (my wife) lets me, trade my big boat in for a bigger one. (I'm thinking 19'-20' bass boat with 200hp-225hp outbdI'll have to implore some powerful butt kissin to get her to go along with this) ;-) I'll post some pics tonight.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 AM
brodjack

What,pics of the butt'kissin'?
Brod..