Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Where to mount the engine?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Where to mount the engine?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Rock Steady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount the engine?

Im about half way thru the rough assembly of a new 1/8th scale hydro from Newton plans. I now want to get the engine mounts in before I go too much further. So how exactly do I know where to mount the thing? I dont know if it matters, but im building the '08 U-3 Miss Chrysler Jeep turbo'd V-12 and am using a CMB purple top. Ill probabily just make my own mount for it.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Where to mount the engine?

look at some of those scale to get an idea.. Its more tords to front.. Before you mount that motor mount?? Do a center of gravity test..To do that,set that boat on a strait board and get a around dowl and place that under the board. doing this will help you find your boat CFG/center of gravity..move your motor with mount on it back and forth until your boat levels out/ballanced for you. then you can mount that motor&mount in that spot.. But besure before you do that ,have all your hardware electriconic and exaust system and fuel tank in it first before you do your CFG test setup.That what I'd read on some forums and doing that my self on a smaller boat..Heres a pic of one with a CMB green head.. this should help you out or give you some ideas where to place your motor at..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50964.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1115687  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Rock Steady

Ok, but the boat is no where near done, its just I bunch of bulkheads glued together. I dont even have any hardware for it other than the engine and pipe. I guess it would help if I show you what ive got so far.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Rock Steady

BTW, i have a sport 40 and have seen a bunch of 1/8ths so I have a good idea where to put it, but just did not know if there any way to place it with out building the entire thing then trying to drill and solidly mount the engine with out access to the inside.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Rock Steady

Misshydro, who's boat is that?? I could really use a bunch more pics of it. Id greatly appreciate it if anyone has more of that one. Mine is the exact same plans, I just wanted to make it with the '08 decals
Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
misshydro

It Tony Rhodes boat.. I'd found that in Phill Thomas photo gallerie on INTLWATERS.com..Are you a member there? If so you could do a member surch?? If you cant find him,then ask phill thomas about Tony??Its a good start..Great news!!! I'd found Tony Rhodes on INTLWATERS.COM he's a member on there!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Before you even think about mounting the engine, you need to get the hull completed except for the deck. You also need to get your running gear, fuel tanks, cowlings, wings, tails and radio for one simple reason-THE BOAT NEEDS TO BE BALANCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you have everything, mount the strut, rudder and skid fin to the hull, lay the driveline in the boat from the engine to the transom, then EXPERIMENT with the radio, fuel tanks and engine locations until you get the boat fairly well balanced. You need to install your tail mounts at this time or earlier depending on what you plan on using to mount them. Something else you might consider is mounting your engine through the bottom of the hull. If you get four of the rubber inserts used in some of the engine mounts, fasten them down with screws through the bottom and mount your engine mounts on top of them, makes moving an engine easier later if needed. Here's some pictures of some of my boats, if they give you any ideas on what you need to do along the way. Just so you know, the cowling on that one boat is not the right one, That is a 90-94 Bud cowl on a 91-2006 Miss Madison/Oberto
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60788.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1115778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65896.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1115779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58233.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.7 KB