Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

who makes this boat?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

who makes this boat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
bdale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who makes this boat?

Someone help! I stumbled across this boat at a garage sale and picked it up for $35 as is no transmitter. I know some of the basics about nitro rc but dont know anything about boats who makes it? It's a fiberglass hull-wich has 1 little crease or indention from impact or dropped or something set on it- how do you fix that? also the cap for the radio box is lexan or some other clear plastic and it's all cracked up where do i get another one? The motor/outdrive is K&B 3.5 I looked the motor up on ebay and saw them selling for more than i paid for the boat. This motor has compression but i would like to know more about how the exhaust exits and where each line goes to I know where the tank pressure and carb inlet are but there are two more on back of head 1 leads down into out drive the other is cut off is it supposed to be? Do you run an air cleaner or some kind of snorkle or just an open carb? I've been looking at starters and it can get a little pricey to buy starter and battery and battery charger does any body make a roto starter for this engine and where can i find it at? It included a futaba reciever fm r112j, hitec servo hs605bb on rudder and futaba fps-148 on throttle are these strong enough? Also there is a tab on the tail end only on 'passenger' side should it have 1 on both side or is it to balance out torque. I have a 5 year old son who really wants to see this thing run so this is my new project and i need help some body lead me in the right direction with this thing. I would greatly appreciate any help a boat expert would be willing to give I know a persons time is valuable.Thanks-Brandon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87275.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1164243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62116.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1164244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35780.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1164245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu57760.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1164246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87833.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1164247  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Dan S

Default RE: who makes this boat?

Brandon,

you have the lines done correctly, pressure and carb are fine and the one from the lower unit to the head is your water coming from prop blast and other side is your exit.

as for the trim tab on the left sponson, there should not be any, tunnels do not use trim tabs.

Checking on Hull and servo's.

Servo's:
HS605BB has 94oz/inch of torque @ 6.0 volt and 76oz/inch @ 4.8 volt.
FP-S148 has 33oz/inch of torque @ 4.8 volt and 42oz/inch @ 6.0 volt

I would suggest you use a 6volt battery pack to get the most out of the servos, the 605 should be ok for the steering but I do prefer over 100oz for steering, however I have use 94 to 97oz on my .21 with no problems.

the steering servo should be fine also. Remember, 6volt pack (not 4 batteries but 5) running 4.8 will put you in the lower oz/inch torque bracket and would be looking for trouble.

Dan.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
bdale

So the lines on the top of the head are just for cooling? Does exhaust add like a jet propulsion around prop?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
bdale

Ok after reading some other posts i have a new question what percentage fuel? I don't mind giving up a little power to keep from damaging the motor. I also need to know what kind of plug to run and i would like to have a general idea of where to start with carb settings. Thanks-Brandon
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Dan S

No jet propulsion around the prop is added from the exhaust.

For nitro a good number run as high as their wallets allow, but if your only going to have fun and play with your Son, 10% to 20% is fine.

for plugs on low Nitro you could use a K&B 1L, or a McCoy 8, or an OS #8.

Dan.

Name:	Rp42795.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1164314  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Dan S

The boat also looks like a Dumas Hot Shot Sprint but I am not certain on that one.

Also, you can read about all K&B here: http://www.mecoa.com/faq/index.htm

Dan.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
bdale

That site really helps and i think you may be right about it being a dumas. That relly gets me started going. Thanks alot Dan! -Brandon
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Dan S

ok,
I believe I may have found what Tunnel this is, its an MRP.

check this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8354435

the more I look, the more I say its an MRP.

Dan.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM
1neumann

Its not a Dumas Hot Shot. I own one and yours is much different. Make sure you have the right prop for the motor. I have had great success with a octura x437/3 blade or x438 2 blade.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Dan S

your right neumann,

I believe that's what I said in my last post.

Dan.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
bdale

O.k so i still have a few questions
1- do you run just an open carb or is there some type of filter that goes on it?

2- How do you tell what type of prop is on it is there something like a pitch gague?

3- I said before that the hull was fiberglass I may be wrong it may be abs although the very bottom feels different (maybe repaired before) but looks and fills like it was coated with something and sanded what do you use to do this and what kind of paint do you use? I would need paint available in cans like lexan paint.

4 The radio box - i saw a reference to it in another thread that says they suck and they do so what do i do about it I can have one of the machinists at work make me a lid and some sort of ring or base that would go around the original radio box form and seal it with just some sort of urethane weather stripping. But does any body know a company that makes something similar so i could get a look at how they made one and how it attaches. Or am i just over thinking,do most people just cut lexan and use silicone?

And again guys thanks alot for the help on this-Brandon
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Dan S

Brandon,

open carb, no filter.

take the prop of and it should say on the face of the hub (front or back) what it is, I think it maybe a prather 215 BC (Beryllium/Copper) that you have on.

Painting: That I really can't help on that one.

like the other thread says, they are practically impossible to waterproof, but a majority of the boats do use a lexan cover and good quality clear tape.

Dan.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 PM
bdale

Thanks Dan!!!!! Okay with what i've learned today I feel a more confident about it, I can't wait to see it run but i am going to take my time and make sure I get it right. I'll probably be back here several times asking more questions. This is my first time in the forums and it has been a huge help. Thanks to everybody!!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Dan S

Brandon,

one more thing, a question you asked in your first post and it wasn't answered.

reference starting the engine, I'm afraid you will have to do like we all do with an outboard, get yourself a 12volt starter (just like the planes) and a 12volt battery (you don't need to carry a car bty) a 12 volt for power wheel trucks will work (used one for 3 years) or a small 12volt motorcycle battery will do (that's what I am using now).

no rotostart for these puppy.

Dan.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 AM
srw1960

Ok here is my 2 cents worth.
Paint.. use urethane you can find it in rattle cans at the hobby shops automotive grade is better but much more expensive and requires paint guns and air compressors... Many years ago i was an ase certified master body frame and paint tech so I know a little bit about it e mail me some pics of the bottom side of the sponsons and I will try to figure out what has been done and how to properly prep it for paint and get you headed in the right direction.... This is a fantastic hobby to include the kids in and I am more than willing to help you out in anyway... From what I have read here you have been given some very very good advice please follow it bite the bullet and buy the starter and a battery most hobby shops have 12 volt gell cells for right around 20 bucks thats not bad and you can find good used starters on e bay for not much more than that.

The K&B 3.5 is hands down the best outboard ever made and will serve you very well and I agree you have an mrp abs plastic hull good little boat to play with fast enough and stable should be lots of fun. Hope this helps. I will upload a pic of my outrigger so you can get an idea what a nice urethane paint job can look like..

Name:	Xv64463.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1166991  
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, it's an MRP hull that was sold 2 different ways, first the Bud Lite and the Mirage. The difference between the boats was just the decal package as the Bud Lite cost more because of the additional decals and the royalties paid to Budweiser. The dead give-away is the plastic dowel used to hold the cowl on. Big clue #2 is the screw-on cover over the driver. The boat is not fiberglass but ABS plastic.
Lots of luck on the radio box cover. It was just just vacuum formed plastic and a poor design at that because it made it all but impossible to seal the lid.
The hand-held starter needs to be run with the wires reversed on the battery.
Dump the trim tabs and fill those holes if you're going to repiant it, the boat shouldn't need them.
Yes, I did have one of those boats, my first nitro OB tunnel.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
bdale

Hey guys I really cant say thanks enough you have been more than helpful but after looking at costs and weighing my optionsThe boat went to ebay ends early sat morning 3-26 if you are interested in this boat go check it out. Brandon
Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Dan S

Brandon,

I was just looking for fun, I don't know where on Ebay you put it at but I can't find it.

Dan.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 PM
bdale

I focused on advertising the engine look up k&b 3.5.. Again thanks for the help..... Dan-I just now remembered doing a trade with you my first trade after joining the site I sent you a blade cp for a rc18mt. Am I right or was it someone else? It's been a few years. Brandon
Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Dan S

wasn't me Brandon,
I had to go and look it up because I didn't know what an rc18mt was

good luck,

Dan.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Ron Olson

RC is usually an Associated vehicle, 18 would be 1/18 scale and MT is Monster Truck. Kinda simple once you know the codes.
Maybe bdale is one of the few new members that actually read the site rules when he joined as he's not supposed to advertise anything for sale, trade or wanted in the forums. I gotta admit that I didn't when I joined but had to learn them really quick when I took the Mod job for 4 years.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 PM
bdale

No, I actually didn't read the rules I guess because I didn't know. But in my defense I dont really think that I was advertising per say. More like I felt a little obligation to update these people who welcomed me into the nitro boat community and were so willing to help. Thanks again and when the economy and my overtime come back i'm planning on buying a new boat and start fresh. Brandon
Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Ron Olson

No, your thread was completely fine according to site rules.
Need any help picking out a new boat, feel free to ask in here, it's almost as fun as shopping for ourselves and you'll get honest feedback.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
bdale

I really cant say enough about how nice ya'll are . I willl be back.........
Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Dan S

oh oh,
am I in trouble again Ron?

Dan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.