Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas Thriftway Too Rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas Thriftway Too Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM
ic-racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumas Thriftway Too Rebuild

Here are some pictures of a current project. I'm redoing a Dumas Thriftway Too that I built in 1973. At the time it used a huge single channel radio that filled the whole rear of the boat and a control-line aircraft engine.

Current engine and running gear come from a .16 Megatech Wicked Angel that crumbled to pieces after a few runs.

The little picture is from about 1974, it's maiden voyage.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM
ic-racer

Default RE: Dumas Thriftway Too Rebuild

I'm using these little micro servos because this really is a small boat (24"), and there is not much room. These tiny Hitecs have 33 oz/in of torque, so they will be more than adequate.
Interesting that I found the drive-dog adapter to be drilled off-center. I thought the Megatech vibrated a lot, That probably contributed to the early demise of the Wicked Angel
I found a place that has a new one, lets hope it is straight. Since the Megatech hardware is practically brand-new, I'd like to use it. If I went with another setup, I'd need everything from flywheel to prop and that would be more that I want to spend. Idon't expect this to be a super-performer, I'm just re-building it for nostalgia.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
ic-racer

Maybe you can see, Iused that trick of heating the fuel tank to melt it a little and re-shape it to clear the flywheel and clutch. It worked out very well.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
srw1960

Way cool!!!! I love to see the older boats brought back to life..and it looks like you are doing a very nice job of it at that...Heres a pic of an old what I think is a mid 50s shovelnose hydro that I am starting to restore...I have installed apico 67,all aluminum running gear,new flex shaft and stuffing tube and a spektrum dx3 radio system...it is almost ready for paint I hope to have it on the water by the end of summer ....When I got it there was a very very old K&B 60 airplane engine in it with a kool klamp on the head and the old aircraft muffler hanging out the side and a heathkit radio straight from the late 60s...There was a couple holes that had been patched over on the sideI think it may have been tethered at one point.....Keep up the good work we need more these boats on the water again where they belong...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59357.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1201353  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM
ic-racer

Thanks for sharing that picture of the older boat. I also have a project on the back-burner. Ihave an old hydro-air boat that is of un-known age, however, the plans for the boat date back to the 60s.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM
ic-racer

Here is a picture of that airboat design from the original construction article. I don't have a date on the article, but they speak of two channels each for steering and throttle, so I am thinking probably 60s with escapement servos.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
srw1960

It's funny you have that air hydro...just a few weeks ago I bought an air powered pickle fork hydro off e bay ..the guy did a terrible job packing it and it arrived all busted up but I had planned on re engineering it anyway Ill snap a pic tomorrow and post it for ya..I have a super tiger g90 that i plan on powering it with it oughta be alot of fun on the water..youre's will be too looks like some decent wood under all that paint too...

Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
ic-racer

I have the servos mounted and the stuffing tube is glued in. Pics to follow....
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 AM
ic-racer

I converted this portion of the hull into a radio box. This will have a plexiglass cover, held on with radio box tape.

Name:	Wu61816.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	1212709  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
ic-racer

Here it is while the glue sets on a little bulkhead Imade to separate the engine compartment from the radio box. The drive shaft stuffing tube is right from the Wicked Angel.

The muffler looks a little funny but I'm not excited about tearing up my mahogany deck to make room for the muffler pointing the other way. A muffler extension would work, but they don't come in this small of a size.

Name:	Wu60991.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	1212710  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 AM
ic-racer

Here is the Wicked Angel's stuffing tube.

Name:	Ge95992.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	1212711  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 AM
ic-racer

Some recent pictures showing the completed engine installation and radiobox.

Name:	Ge95469.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	1216308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60675.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	1216309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94979.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	1216310  
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 AM
srw1960

What engine are you using???and where did you get a collet that fit the threads and the cable???
Nice work you are doing there by the way ...My golden oldie has been identified as a dumas dragon fly 60 thanks to jet pack for helping with that...Ihave it in primer now and should have it in color and finished by next weekend

Name:	Cz79915.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1217190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13377.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1217191  
Old 06-13-2009, 04:46 PM
ic-racer

I remember that name from some old Dumas ads. Looks like it is coming along nice.

In terms of my hardware, everything is directly out of the Megatech Wicked Angel. It is a .16 engine with a somewhat small flywheel with two RC car type clutch shoes. There is a needle bearing for the clutch bell (the Achilles Heel of the system) and the drive dog is screwed on to the clutch bell in place of the pinion gear that would normally be on a car. The drive dog then goes to a solid shaft that is supported in a stuffing tube. There are bronze bearings on either end to support the shaft.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
srw1960

Thanks for the info Ill try to find the megatech site and see what parts I can order fom them I am building some small1/2 a size boats and the engine I am going to use came from a car..the main thing I need is the collet....if the collet screws onto the crankshaft how does the clutch work???wouldnt the collet have to be attached to the clutch bell in some way???
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM
ic-racer

The only thing screwed onto the engine shaft is the pilot shaft which holds the flywheel on and provides a shaft on which the clutch bell can spin. There is no collet, The propeller shaft fits into the end of the drive dog and is held in place with a set screw. The propeller shaft is nice in that it has flats for the setscrews at both ends.

I got some replacement parts (new pilot shaft, bearing and drive dog) here, and they had the parts in stock.http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Mega...Parts_s/57.htm
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
srw1960

Cool thanks for the info I will go and check there sight out and see if they have anything I can use on my projects...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
ic-racer

So here is an update on the boat's performance.

I had it out on the lake last week and it is great for a 'fun' type boat. I put a turning fin on it and it turns really well. It is a little faster than I expected. Stability was good. It is a pretty heavy package, so its no racer, but certainly more for the pond than the display shelf.

There were no driveline or engine problems. The main problem was water getting into the radio box. I have it back in the workshop to sort it all out. I don't know where it leaks from, but I might strip out all the radio gear and fill it with water and see where the water leaks out. It was leaking quite a bit of water so the leak should be easy to detect.