Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

UL-1 Turn Fin help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

UL-1 Turn Fin help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
ronn25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UL-1 Turn Fin help

I bought a used aquacraft UL-1 with the turn fin ripped off. I've repaired the are but I have no idea what angle to mount the
new one back on. Its an aftermarket fin that came with the boat. Can anyone post a picture of the boat showing the turn fin angle?
Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 PM
advanced builder

Default RE: UL-1 Turn Fin help

If you have a hacksaw or sawzall you can make your own, turn fin conector,1"x3"x.125" x1 1/2 high. You will pay $25.00 +S&H for one made.I can get 8 out of a 4" piece of 6"x 6 x .125 for $19.00 including S&H
Speddy Metal ck out
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4689-...-aluminum.aspx
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: ronn25

I bought a used aquacraft UL-1 with the turn fin ripped off. I've repaired the are but I have no idea what angle to mount the
new one back on. Its an aftermarket fin that came with the boat. Can anyone post a picture of the boat showing the turn fin angle?
Thanks

Try PMing Grimracer or Jerry Dunlap for how the fin should be mounted.... they will know.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Grimracer

Ronn 25

The turn fin backet mounts with the large flat area the fin bolts to straight up and down. So maybe a better way to say it is stright.. You do not angle the fin.

Having said this the fin (at least the factory UL-1 fin) as a 15 deg top break and a 18deg bottom. The bends act as if the fin was mounted angled but the boat has way less chance of tripping in a left correction.

When you get the fin on.. make sure the bottom bend is parrell to the ride of the boat. I check this with the fin hanging over the edge of my work table and the boat sitting on its sponsons and the strut.. O yea.. set the strut depth at 1 and 1/8" deep.

Grimracer

Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM
ronn25

Ok thanks guys. This is a pic going to mount the fin on like this Straight up and down. Look right? I was confused because

Vegas is different. Grimracer is that 1 1/8" to the center line of the strut? Going to try a 42/55 2 blade? Sorry just realized I posted this in nitro section, moderators can move this to electric.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Grimracer

Ronn,

Bottom (tunnel roof) to the table with the strut sitting on the table.. And yep.. the fin is right!.. Good Job

Grim

Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM
ronn25

Thanks alot guys. Took this boat out today and ran it on the stock prop set at 1 1/8" deep slight negative angle and polyrc 25c 5000 lipos. This boat rocks. Its fast and extremely stable. Was rough out and the sponsons were barely on the water. I wouldn't dare drive my Vegas this way. Couldn't gps it cause my vegas blew
over and I lost the hatch and gps.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

zip tie your gps to 1/2 piece of pool noodle.