Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

K&B 7.5 Inboard help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B 7.5 Inboard help

Old 06-22-2003, 01:23 AM
toonces

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B 7.5 Inboard help

I have a 7.5 inboard that is older but has a vary tight top dead center too the point that it is impossible to turn over with starter and makes a clicking sound when worked threw that spot ( when the piston goes to top dead center) Piston , sleeve seam to be binding , How do I remedy this so It will start? I think the motor has not bin run much. has bin sitting for a number of years but there is no corrosion that is noticeable.
Any body have experience with this?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Default K&B 7.5

Back in the mid 90s K&B built some really crappy engines. I owned a 7.5 inboard that blew up everytime I started it. I sent it back to them 3 times. And each time they fixed it, it broke. On Breakin Fuel.
One thing I did on my 7.5 outboard was to take out the glow plug and accach a small chunk of flex cable to the collett and the other end to a drill and turn it over. I lubed mine with Marvel Mystery Oil, Prather After Run oil stuff like that. New motors are very tight on the TDC so break it in carefully. Hope this helps you.
Bruce
Old 07-07-2003, 04:33 AM
drydock
My Feedback: (2)

With 3.5cc O/B w/same problem I used to loosen the glow plug a bit to relieve compression then fire it up and tighten the plug. Only had to do this 4 to 6X till the eng was broken in enough...
Actually tight TDC is a good sign w/K&B's... Could mean L/N.

Yo, Toonces - Have a hull in mind for the Jet Drive?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You might have to loosen the glow plug in order to fire it. Tighten it up as soon as it's fired.
Bruce, K&B had some machining problems before they sold the operation. The crank and sleeve were not square to each other. I know of several people that had that problem. K&B was trying to get out of their warranty by telling owners that it must have been an unbalanced prop or some other lame excuse that caused the engine to go South.
Another break-in trick is to use toothpaste and light oil on the piston and sleeve to hone it.
The K&B's have a tapered sleeve that tightens the piston up at the top end, this is why it is tight there.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:23 AM
nitropower

Default k b 7.5

Is your engine drum rotor or disc rotor? If its a drum and you have disassembled it recently check to make sure the front housing is installed correctly. My 7.5 has billet alum. front housing, which has a flat machined on inside portion. That HAS to be installed up towards bottom of piston,otherwise piston hits frt. housing. Hope this might help.

If its too slow you need more nitro!!!