Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

.12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts
Default RE: .12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

I'll be in Madison with boat in hand. I think that will settle everything, don't you?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
joseywales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

I'll be in Madison with boat in hand. I think that will settle everything, don't you?
You got PM HJ. Also happybirthday tchedoff!! .
Old 04-23-2011, 02:14 AM
siberianhusky

Take it for what ever you want, seems many people have silently been questioning this for a while. Received the PM's to prove it!
I'm just the kind of person who calls it like it is.
When I go to quote a job I expect to have to back myself up with pictures and referrals, I don't think of it as anything personal.
Show me something that is as expertly built as she seems to think she is capable of and I will humbly beg her for forgiveness right here in this thread call myself an idiot for ever doubting her superior skills, whatever.
If she is the one who has painted those boats I will give her a full double thumbs up on her painting skill, look like they easily surpass mine by a long shot. Yes I've even listened to her advise on what kind of paint to choose!
I will give people full credit when it's due, but not a second before, respect is earned not just given.
Enough of this, I found out what I wanted to know and who I'll keep listening...... to the ones who can back up the talk!
The fact is she has built 2 boats, sounds like only 1 running. Eventually she may become a good builder, it takes time to develop the skills and 2 boats do not an expert make!
You Joe may be a great builder, that doesn't make your wife one. My girls a Vet, I listen, watch and read but unless I get a Bsc, then a DVSC and pass my boards I am not a vet!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 AM
advanced builder

Gotta be a Good Time coming to Madison HJ ,Boat in hand. You West coast drivers are really fast they say. But they didn't say what your fast at. now the poopie will fly
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
TCHedOff

Why thank you KGIBSON!! (and JW)

I hate to see this thread deteriorate into a bunch of bickering. The focus is JAE .12 - not the people having fun with them.

As I like to scratch build from the plans, I like to try new building techniques.

I'm not a painter, so this yr's boat is covered in monokote that has been glued on; I have yet to shoot the clear over the top. This summer we'll see if it holds up.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would have went for TrimKote instead...............
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
TCHedOff

Not being a plane guy, I dont know what Trimkote is - what is it and why would you have chosen it over Monokote??
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

TrimKote is Top Flite's version of decal material loosely translated. It doesn't need heat to activate the adhesive. Maybe think bumper sticker without the writing and in some colors that match MonoKote.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM
toyotatruckin

bumper sticker without the writing
Never heard it put quite that way, BUT yeah basically thats what it is
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM
advanced builder

I ran my .12 Zip last weekend and my throttle servo was sticking when running It got stuck at full open, then I lost rudder. I ran full speed into the muddy bank. Rocks were all around. I was lucky again. I have replaced my receiver with a NIB R603FS Futaba. I believe I ran that receiver inside a RC truck this last winter. Ill put that receiver back inside a buggy. Is it just me? I 'm not saying it has memory but. The wind was really to rough for my .12 rigger. the pipe kept coming off. I did put on a new coupler. My pipe tail holder is piano wire and a rubber grommet snap-tied to the hull. I'm ready to test.
PS I just sprayed the receiver with Corrosion -X setting out side to dry.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 PM
TCHedOff

AB,

Something you might want to try.... about your pipe. You might want to make a lip for the coupler to bite on to. I've used copper wire, that I've stripped the insulation off of, and cut to fit around the circumference or the pipe end, and then soldered on the wire to make a lip on my pipe for the coupler to grab. Its a cheap easy fix. I havent had a pipe blow off in 2yrs since I've been doing this (tho I have had - after a full year of racing w/out changing - to replace the coupler because it was so tightly on that I had to cut it off).
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM
advanced builder

TCHedOff thanks I try that. My 2 hull will have a different pipe mount. The wind was a little hard on the .21 rigger not to speak of the .12. The NIB receiver was also needed. If you look at Glenn's pipes he said the header will slid inside his pipe. I gotta get a good video on her running. I was kinda impressed for the little she ran. The prop is a very small Octura 338. We had a hard time getting her to go on a bigger prop. More testing is needed.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
TCHedOff

Glenn's Texan pipe was the 1st I tried this with.... it has relatively steep convergant/divergent angles (and I called Rod G and said I was having my pipe always blow the coupler off and the making a lip was his suggestion).

As for the Octura 338.... all the props I've run, either done by Mark Sholund or Andy Brown have been @38mm (my 1440's for example have been reduced to this dia, etc).
Old 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
advanced builder

OK I just looked it's a X 438 I did have one of Joe's prop. a 440 on The engine is semi NIB the rod, piston and liner are new. The needle setting was very rich. We had a hard time getting the hull to go. I will give the 1440 a try. thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Tombsy

I finally got my boat in the water and I have about 6 tanks through the NR.12. I started with the 40x53 from Mark cuz it's a little smaller (37.02mm) (3.21cup, 2.31pitch) and after a little fiddling with the needle she took off and ran great. We usually have to run slightly smaller props here at close to 4000'.
I even got to test one of the new buoys and caught some air but no damage.
I have the pipe and header from Glenn as well and I couldn't see how the header would fit in the pipe when I cut the header but the blue coupler from Glenn is holding fine.
Man that motor is tight it's harder to turn over than my .45 I had to use a heat gun to first get it going.
Has any one flowed one of the NR.12's with one of Boris's meter's? Mines at 140 but I think it's still a bit rich.
The boat handled fantastically I don't think I change a thing but running with 5 other .21's chewing up the water it should be interesting. We're a Namba club and I'm putting it in A-hydro what the hell it's who's still running at the finish right?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 PM
advanced builder

Mine did loosen up kinda quick. The bearings and case are from last year. But yes mine was NIB last year. she was hard. I took a propane torch to heat up that liner. This year. After a few tanks she's very easy starting. mono coat trim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10812.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1604816  
Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM
TCHedOff

LOL MONOKOTE TRIM!!

Here I THOUGHT I WAS TRYING SOMETHING NEW.!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM
TCHedOff

I finally got a chance to run my .12 this year. My current boat weighed 2lbs 12 oz when I weighed it last year (I know why & where the extra weight is).... and wanted to lighten it up some this year.

One area that I could drop some weight was replacing my sponsons (which are carbon fiber laminated to ply - heavy but strong); Another was replacing the steel wheel collars with aluminum (I got some Delrin rod for free, but it seems so soft/malleable, I decided I wanted 7075 t-6 aluminum instead - got a 2ft rod of that for $5 )

So over the winter I built 2 sets of wood over foam sponsons... one set to plans at 1" width and another set at 1-1/8" width (heavy boat/wider sponsons??),m and put the wider ones on the boat; Current weight, 2lb 9ozs.

So yesterday was the 1st club race I could make; boat hadnt seen water yet this year. Pre-race, got in some runs, and boat was fast as heck but would blow off in the waves(relatively small ones). Boat didnt do that last year; only changes was dropping the weight/wider sponsons. Didnt bring the original sponsons to put back on (DUH - I meant to), so tried adding lead weight to keep things down. Ended up going up to 1/4LB in weight just to keep it on the water and the cornering suffered, so pulled some weight back off. Ended up with 2 DNS and 1 DNF.... but about 10-12 spectacular cartwheeling crashes.... no damage other than sponsons sliding inwards on the boom tubes... loosen the aluminum wheel collars, realign, good to go again. Oh, BTW the boom tubes are arrowshafts - carbonfiber over aluminum (Easton ACC .344 dia) - tough as heck.

Anyhow, got home thinking this was likely a weight/CG issue. Fellow boater calls me up to see how the race went and told him the situation. Right off, he said its not a weight issue.... he's sure it has to be an AOA issue. so I compare the new set to the original set - what do you know - quite a bit higher.... must have moved the template when drilling the holes??

So if anyone builds a JAE that wants to blow off the water, you might want to remeasure/redo the AOA of your sponsons.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM
advanced builder

We have no .12 class riggers This year again. I didn't bring the hull this last weekend. It's a fun hull. Great speed and handling. I wish we had more than one around. I ran mine very little this year. I love the size. quick and easy packing.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
toyotatruckin

Hey advanced, build 2 or 3 more hulls and sell them to locals you think may race with you, the biggest problem with hulls like this is a good majority of people want instant gratification, which dont come with building your own.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM
advanced builder

I'm pushing them out as fast as I can. All they want is to drive one. Ya mine I got the new cat that's been getting my attention. I had a hard weekend getting that setup,right. I need some more time with that hull. The new .45 short kit may do the trick. I'm having a hard time with the .21 not to speak of a .45 Speed wise.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 AM
TCHedOff

Yesterday I found that not only was my AOA higher, but the newer sponson were also holding the nose of the tub up.... it wasnt level anymore. So it could have been either or both that was causing the blowoffs.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM
advanced builder

I have big piece of balsa 2"x6"x4',I wanted to carve out a set ,then carbon fiber. The wood grain needs to be right. I want to run my .12 rigger. I think the .21 rigger speed is kinda fast for me. I have more fun with the .12 hull I can handle the speed better. I feel better. Only bring out the .21 when I test. So I better get that engine back together. and back ready to run. I need to put a copper ring around my pipe also. I plan on running her this weekend in Ottawa. a 2 1/2 hr ride all freeway. Be back Sat night. The OVR have a gravel bed as a track so the wind may stay away. Ottawa Vally Racers. Met some OVR guys last weekend. I know no French and I'm hard at hearing should be fun. I will bring the .21 rigger but I need more time with the speeds
Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
mtruex

todd,

both are causing problems...just pull rear tubes out of sponsons, plug them with wood and redrill..quick easy fix that should get your problems fixed..
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
TCHedOff

Figured as much. Thanks Martin! Will do...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.