Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

"old School" Dumas Hot Shot. 1st water propped boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

"old School" Dumas Hot Shot. 1st water propped boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM
crispyspa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "old School" Dumas Hot Shot. 1st water propped boat

I started this thread so as to not hijack another persons thread: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8762984/anchors_9102443/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9102443]Prop for K&B 3.5 outboard[/link]

I got this boat from my boss at work who hadn't run it in 20 years or so. I got it home and soon realized it needed a lot of work stemming from the years of sitting on a shelf in the basement.

The first problem was the engine was locked up due to the gumming of the castor oil over time.the second was that the glue used as an adhesive had all but let loose all around the seam of the boat.

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

ORIGINAL: jetpack

Cavitation is more than prop though it could be angle or depth of the motor too, how the boat is launched and in what manner you corner your boat.

Sorry for the hijack jdeters79, But I think we have the same problem.

The engine angle is set by the angle of the transom....or can I change that?
I literally threw the boat into the water and I didn't get a chance to corner it.
I tried adjusting the engine all the way up and all the way down and a few settings in between, it still did the same thing...cavitate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN8qoVy6RWg[/youtube]

SIDE QUESTION: Is this a Dumas Hot shot?
Hi Crispy! I see you are in Onalaska. There is a club here in the Twin Cities (www.tcmbc.org).... and there are quite a few tunnel guys.... Some of whom have been around long enough to be familiar with that set up. While our club requires IMPBA insurance to run your boat, one of the already existing members are sure to be willing to run your boat to get it running right. The club pond is @ 3miles from the Mall of America.... we have a race day this weekend (Sat) and our championship is Oct 3rd. Consider yourself invited! Oh yeah, there is a long time EXPERT tunnel guy even closer to you (Mondovi Wi, by Eau Claire named Rod Geraghty... I can PM you his contact info if you want).

todd hollander
The Cities are a couple of hours away and I would love to come and run, but, I'll need practice before I try to run with the experts. Thanks for the invite though. I would like to see how the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8193404/tm.htm]air propped hydros[/link] would do in a race though. LOL

ORIGINAL: ob nut

Place the boat on a flat surface, one with a cut out for the skeg to fit into is better. If not, then extend a ruler or something that is flat that fits under the boat. With the spoonsons flat on the surface, how does the thrust angle of the prop compared to the flat surface? If the prop is pointing up, that is positive angle. If the prop is pointing down, negative angle.

After looking at your pics more closely, it appears you have the old version of a 3rd channel angle adjustment motor mount. If that is not working, replace it with a mount that adjusts up/down and neg/pos.

You truely have an 'old school' boat there!
Keep in mind this is my first water propped boat.....3rd channel angle adjustment motor mount??? There doesn't seem to be a place to mount a 3rd servo though.

Can you show pics? I can snap more pics of mine if you want me to, just tell me where I should focus.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

After sleeping, thought about that mount. It's not for a 3rd channel setup, sorry.... I do have one of the units, but have never used it. Believe it is supposed to angle the motor when the motor is turned. Don't have the instructions, so not too certain how it's supposed to be setup. If you switch to another type of mount, one that gives better adjustment, you can get the motor in a more proper setting. I have a few old prather mounts, you can have if you want. PM me your addy and I'll get it sent out in short order.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 PM
crispyspa

Default RE: RE:

It does have this piece of aluminum that tilts the engine when it is turned. ob nut: PM sent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGO-BXoezG4[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46152.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1277393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54046.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1277394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10272.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1277395  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
crispyspa

Here is what it used to look like and some pics of the repair job.

Name:	Tr49392.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1277396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84980.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1277397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92937.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1277398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10913.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1277399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53550.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1277400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk75555.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1277401  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
srw1960

I just now watched your vid crispy..my super tiger outboard did the exact same thing to me after a very minor accident.. could not figure out what the problem was it had been running great...got it home and disassembled it and saw the problem imediatly...On the end of the flex shaft that went into the motor for some reason it wasent fully seated and it had striped the square end of the shaft almost completely off but there was enough left that every now and then it would catch and thats when itd jump and grab and try to go...I disassembled the lower unit and adjusted the shaft to go all the way into the engine and problem solved runs like a striped ape now...check out your lower unit and flex shaft your problem is not adjustment or thrust angle related you have a mechanical malfunction of some type

nice job on the resto by the way
Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 AM
crispyspa

I can turn over the engine using the prop, so I don't think the shaft is slipping, but if the new prop I ordered doesn't fix it, I will check it out. The aluminum prop that was on it had what I would consider to be small dings-or-nicks in the leading edge...I'm thinkin' that's my problem.

nice job on the resto by the way
Thanks...you have no idea the troubles I had though. After I sanded and primed the whole boat, I used some old (but still good) polyurethane fuel proof paint the guy at my LHS gave to me...he said it was too old to be sold.

Anyway...I painted the boat and it looked great except for a couple of small runs. We can't have runs, so I waited a few hours then wet sanded the runs out and wet sanded the entire boat again so I could respray.

Bad idea. The new layer of paint lifted the old layer. Kind of wrinkled it. I read the can AFTER I did this and it said: May be recoated within 15 minutes or after 7 days. LOL The solvent must be so strong in that paint it will wrinkle itself if not completely dry.

I was thinking of putting stripes on it, but I think "plain Jane" looks OK too.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 AM
srw1960

Mine turned over by the prop as well when I got it out of the water adding to my frustration..I realized that when I turned it over by the prop as I turned it I was also pushing the prop and shaft in a bit and it was enough to let grab and turn over..
And I agree it looks fine
Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE:

what problem are you having?? the only problem i see is that, thats the wrong prop! you will like it better with the octura 440 three blade and give it a good toss. another thing to check and read is this
http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/aqub0006-manual.pdf it will help a little to understand things.

First, change the prop either the octura or the 40 52/3 from aqua craft stock number aqub9720
you must fist balance and sharpen the prop.
let me know if you need anyother help
Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 PM
crispyspa

The wrong prop is what the LHS guy said too. I just got my new Octura 440 2 blade this afternoon. I need to balance and sharpen it then go somewhere to test.

I don't think that the carb is the right one either. I was going to replace the needle with a new one because it kind of turns easy. The one at the LHS looks nothing like the one on the carb.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM
crispyspa

I just looked around and I cannot find the correct carb. [:@]

EDIT: More searching revealed that I do have the correct carb.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 PM
rcguy1411

Default RE:

tighten yhe nut on the hsn this should cure the looose needle
Old 09-19-2009, 03:44 PM
littlepiston

Default RE:

the carb is a perry carb, not bad but performance can be improved with the K&B gold carb. Try a small piece of fuel tubing to make it stay
Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
crispyspa

Here is the best I could make it go with the x440 Octura 2 blade prop. I looked for a place I could buy a gold carb, but found nothing..........Anybody have one that they don't need?
The guy running the camera kept pushing the button.these are the two longest clips I had. I tried to merge all the clips together but it was too jerky.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYYzHasFH-8[/youtube]
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
littlepiston

Default RE:

looks good my first boat was doinf the same thing, i quit rc boating for about 12 years because the local club would not help me. now im helping them go fast
look here for parts http://www.mecoa.com/kb/parts.htm
Old 09-20-2009, 11:22 PM
littlepiston

Default RE:

here are the parts prices https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=189
Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
crispyspa

I have a Gold carb on the way and yesterday I got the Prather mounts that OB Nut sent. Thank you.
I got the mounts on and adjusted to what I would think would be a good set up....from what I gather from reading up on it.

Name:	Jh16784.jpg
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1281235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88175.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1281236   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27397.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1281237  
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
crispyspa

After installing the new gold carb and running and tweaking for about 2 hours and 35 launches....yes 35, I got to this point:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCHF653OI4[/youtube]

Then I decided to trim the engine a little more....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l98FPxakey4[/youtube]

One thing I don't understand is why it spins out at the slightest touch of the steering. All the control cables are tight and the engine has VERY little play side to side. I have the EXP set to about 30% and the steering speed at 25%....
Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Dr. Fosgate

Default RE:

I myself am just getting into nitro boating, so I really don't know, but logically it would seem the engine tilting mechanism is causing your problems.

If the engine lifts up in a turn that would cause the bow to lift, and the boat would spin around on a dime. I would temporarily remove the plate which the "Z' bend wire rubs against to permit tilting. You might have issues with the engine jumping around when you hit a wave, but at least you can see if this is what is making the boat turn so easily and uncontrollably.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:25 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

I have a Gold carb on the way and yesterday I got the Prather mounts that OB Nut sent. Thank you.
I got the mounts on and adjusted to what I would think would be a good set up....from what I gather from reading up on it.

ORIGINAL: Dr. Fosgate

I myself am just getting into nitro boating, so I really don't know, but logically it would seem the engine tilting mechanism is causing your problems.

If the engine lifts up in a turn that would cause the bow to lift, and the boat would spin around on a dime. I would temporarily remove the plate which the ''Z' bend wire rubs against to permit tilting. You might have issues with the engine jumping around when you hit a wave, but at least you can see if this is what is making the boat turn so easily and uncontrollably.

The tilting mechanism is gone.......hmmmmmm...Maybe that's why it is doing it. If you look at the first video, it steered fine with the tilt, now that's it's gone, it spins out.