Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas 1/2A Atlas van lines build

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas 1/2A Atlas van lines build

Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
R.J. West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumas 1/2A Atlas van lines build

Heres the latest pics of my Atlas....
Now it still taped up for painting, but the engine well and rear cowl area is in its natural mahagony finish. I'm gonna let it sit a day or so, then wet sand it gently with 400 grit, then apply the Atlas decals...Then clear coat over it....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90086.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1313812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99020.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1313813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51041.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1313814  
Old 11-14-2009, 12:13 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh...I can smell the fresh paint. Looks Good!!

I dug out one of those couplers I had made, and worked up a drawing to go by.

They were made a little long knowing I could face them off of the 5-40 side a little shorter if I wanted which I still might do. They hang out from the flywheel quite a bit and the shorter the better in case of runout.

Name:	Vt58081.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1313970  
Old 11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
R.J. West

Ihad a guy named Ned that was references to me by Offshore electrics make me a few couplers......Very similar to your drawings....They are 3/8 X 7/8 length....Except mine will have 4-40 screws one on each side for the 1/8 shaft and dual set screws for the .098 cable....
I hope they work out.....I still need some 1/8 drill SS rods...
Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 PM
jetpack

I have an idea for the drill rod. Check your area for a welding supply shop. They will have 1/8" stainless steel filler rod which is a wire but will be very strong and straight. They come in 3ft. lengths, and one might set you back 25 cents.

It won't be hardened and ground drill rod but being 1/8" rolled stainless it should be fairly decent and might work. Ask for a high nickel stainless which should be the harder type.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:33 PM
R.J. West

I did buy a rod, its not stainless, but its steel, at least thats what the guy told me, however i used a razor saw to trim it and felt that the saw went thru it too easily, and decided to just get some Rod of a known quaility such as K&S stainless 1/8 rod.....Unless those exacto razor saws are that sharp....It only took about not even 5 min to cut off a piece of that rod I bought....
Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM
jetpack

Well they do sell unhardened drill rod where it is the same material but still unhardened and ground so thats what might have happened. It still would be shiney smooth material though very bright with a rough ground finish or maybe super smooth almost glossy.

Hardened and ground drill rod would be way too hard for any saw I think. You would have to use a cut-off disc.

Another source for some really good quality material that would make some awesome driveshafts is ejector pin rods used in the plastic mold industry. We had lots of cut-offs at one place I worked but I never nabbed any while I was there. Lots of hardness with some flexability, and perfectly round and on-size its whole length. The inner material remains tough while the outside casing is glass hard and smoooth, close tolerances and concentricity.

[link=http://www.plastixs.com/ep01.html]Good Stuff[/link]

If you are still looking for ideas, how about going with a small diameter SHOULDERED ejector pin where you could start with a small wire diameter for the shaft and step up to a larger diameter (1/8") for your prop? [8D] About $5 for a 10" long 1/16" to 1/8" stepped shaft, all one piece.

I am going to try and be the first to try this...

Name:	Db84594.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1313984  
Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 PM
R.J. West

Well after some thought I may just use my original idea of using a wire drive, since I have so much material stocked up.....I have a bunch of K&S .062 piano wire and K&S stainless steel rod thats 1/8 O.D X .028 wall.

What I've done to make my wire drive was to make a shaft about 2 inches long made from K&S O.D. 1/8 x .28 inside wall and trim the .062 wire to length, the wire runs the length of the prop shaft. Cut slots in the tube for the setscrews to hold the assembly together,,,,,The prop is held in place by a goldberg wheel collar, setscrews from the drivedog and wheel collar hold it together....a 1/2 long 1/8 O.D. X .028 wall K&S SS tube is soldered on the engine side for the coupler.....

I feel that the wire drive places the least amount of drag on the Cox engines....My stuffing box will be K&S brass what? 3/32nd I think... but my stuffing box will run the length from universal to the transom....I'm gonna cut a triangluar piece of balsa about 1/16 shorter than the supplied brass strut that came with the hardware kit and use that to support the stuffing box under the transom.,,,,according to the info I got from Air Mover that should put me at a good starting point for the struts angle and depth.....

I'm leaning hard towards using the Rivers rudder, It doesnt weigh anything, the leading edge is very sharp, and its about the right deminsions for a 18" boat.....

Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
R.J. West

Heres a pic of my Cox build stockpile....Not in the pic is my Dumas cool clamp and a Cox buggy style heatsink and a couple of these thin black metal exhaust deflector shields from Cox
Check out the old MRP props!
Theres a Octura prop not pictured that I think would work well, and thats the X427. I ordered some plastic 27mm props that I hope work...Also I have a handfull of the Dumas white nylon props as well....

All of the bee engines been overhauled with new gaskets and needles....ready to go....

for my Atlas I'm leaning towards the Golden Bee, I have a new performance cylinder and piston coming in for it, along with a Galbreath head and glowplug for the head.....I also ordered some of those Merlin glowheads for my other head adaptor...

Name:	Ge96421.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1314043  
Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 PM
jetpack

The Golden Bee should look awesome. There's gold pinstripe in the decals.

Your idea about color though the red external tank mount for an .051 would look great too.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
R.J. West

Thanks Jetpack,

I wanted a balance of performance, simplicity of instalation/maintaince, and looks....Thats why I ditched the idea of using the mini fuel tanks....

I think a modded Golden Bee would be cool, and look cool too.....The Bee's have an integral fuel tank, and can be modded for more hoursepower ( or goldfish power) and they look retro.

the real Atlas had what lookes like a red engine block and I'm like hell, that cox tank mount is red....So I made another engine mount similar to the one thats pictured, because the tank mount is just a hair longer than the golden bee. had to make it a tad shorter because the universal would be up against the bulkhead....To facilate engine changes I used 6-32 T nuts behind the bulkhead in front of the engine mount....You can see that in front of the engine well....I'm doing the same thing with my Thriftway....Theshort stuffis similar in the plans, the mount for that one is held in place between the rails and secured with a single screw....Cool idea...

Old 11-14-2009, 04:05 PM
R.J. West

Just came back inside from wet sanding the hull.I put a small amount of liquid laundry soap...( Shh, dont tell the wife ) and filled up a bucket of water and wet sanded it down with 400 grit paper....

Anyone out there reading, I highly recondmend that you do this as the hull came out very slickery and smooth....cant even tell its wood, it looks like an ABS hull....I'm gonna shoot it down with another coat or two of white glossy paint because alitle of the sharp edges went thru with my sanding....then I'l wet sand it once more before putting on the decals...
Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
GLOWFAST

Hello,

Awesome looking boat. I really want one of these, but they are just not available. If I had some drawings, I would scratch build one.

With the cox engines, you are not going to get more than about 5 to 8 miles per hour.

Did you know that you can put in a small .12 to .15 size marine engine for about 99 bucks. These things run at about 25,000 to 30,000 rpm and will get this thing going well over 25 miles per hour.

[link]http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/5358[/link]

Or use a small car engine with no water cooling required.
[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHTN0&P=0[/link]

If you use the small cox engine, your boat may not even get up on plane. It is just too small and slow.

otherwise, it looks like you are having a blast.

I want one now.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
R.J. West

Hi GLOWFAST

These boats are designed for Cox .049 engines....remember they are only 18 inches long and speeds are around 25MPH....A .12-.15 size engine the boat would just turn into a Top instead of a boat....If you build the boat's drive line like its shown on the plans then yeah, the boat isnt going anywhere fast.
Dumas still offers most of the 1/2A boats EXCEPT the Atlas van lines and the Thriftway. those are the only ones discontinued. You can sometimes find an Atlas or Thriftway on ebay going for around 60 - 100 bux.
Check out this forum if you havent already. www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8498373/tm.htm
If your into scratch building then I have made some tracings of the parts to make the Miss Thriftway, and a few other members here also have templates for the other boats if you ask around.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM
R.J. West

Well I'm disgusted.

I attempted to put on the supplied Dumas Atlas decals, the ones that you soak in water for a few then slide off onto the boat.....Although the decals look great, the quaility stinks...
Now I have put on these types of decals before, but these were either old, or just not good....
So now I have a choice.....either do the best I can, and shoot clear over my cracked and torn decals, or go to the store and buy some auto trim and some little peel and stick numbers....
Old 11-21-2009, 08:41 AM
jetpack

Woah, thats not good. That's a shame because I know how important the decals are in giving this boat it's character being all white.

I guess a couple shots of decal spray before using them would have helped. Hindsight is 20/20 on this one. My decals look really clear and thick still on the carrier paper but after reading that, if I go to use them I will definetly search out that decal spray. Model car builders use it when building a vintage kit.

Before I was able to find a kit of the Atlas, I was collecting what I could find to build one. I contacted an ebay winner once and asked if he was able to send me a decal scan that I could clean up and print my own with special inks on my printer.

You can buy the clear film (or white) and special ink at a well-stocked Testor's Model Master display at a hobby shop all designed to make your own water slide decals.

You would have to maybe do a little bit of picture cropping or MSPaint work then tile print the design because the sheets are smaller than what you need. It is not a big thing though, because most of the length of the decal consists of just pinstripe which is easy to line up regester with when laying it down. I think all of the other designs such as the logo's can fit on its own sheet and floated in place. Either way it wouldnt be hard to line up.

If you want to get into something like this, let me know because my new Atlas kit has a clean sheet of decals that I was going to attempt this with later on down.

Name:	Ge95219.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1317878  
Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 PM
R.J. West

Well my intentions of sharing my build online was to give others wishing to build this kit a heads up on what to expect before building, sharing tips and exchanging ideas.
The decals on mine were thin on the sheet to start with, but looked clean, they became very fragile when they soaked in lukewarm water after a few minutes..

heres a picture of what the boat looks like today, what I've done was to go over to the suto parts store and picked up some pinstriping in a blue color that comes pretty darn close to the Atlas darker color blue and ran that down the sides, I think its passable.. I have had luck so far with the large red "U-71" that goes on the front cowl. It was the long stripes and sponson artwork that when I put them in warm water. they just fell apart on me...
I wish Dumas had printed the decals on vinyl....would have been much easier to apply...

Is it possible if you can make me a scan of the sponson artwork and email it to me?

If not, then my next step was to pick up some wider pinstriping and put them in the area where the original stripes would be, more or less looking like a race boat...

I still have the decals for the cowl, & havent put them on yet.....I'm not done with the cowl as I'm trying to figure out how to latch it down...
heres a pic of the cowl so far....

Name:	Fd93471.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1317997   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43169.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1317998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82170.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1317999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32030.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1318000  
Old 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Check wiith some of the people that make graphic sets for the scale boats and see if they can make them the right size for you. It would be a much better set of decals that way, unless JP can make them acceptably on his printer. I've never tried the printer decals myself so I won't comment on how good they could turn out.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM
jetpack

HJ I had tried that at IW without sucess so this is about the only decent option on developing a reproduction. I've even contacted Dumas.

RJ I can scan the sheet no problem and send you an email. Without looking again at the decal sheet and the size offered if they will fit but I'll look more into it.

Going by memory I think the Testors sheets are 4"x6".
Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 PM
R.J. West

Hey jetpack,
The hobby lobby over here has a well stocked Testors display and I've seen the printer paper and all of the other fun stuff that you can use for decals....I saw the 4x6 paper and its enough for the sponsons I believe. So with the scans I can be able to make them work on my PC, thanks..

HJ, The only guys I know of that make graphics for boats is www.pgimodels.com/. but no dice on this style hull. I was considering Newton's website and just checking out which sponsors would look cool on this hull, and cutting out graphics the old school way, by trimming from colored monokote sheets....

Other than that this auto trim tape workes out really well. I'm gonna use some for the waterline on my Dumas Ace sloop thats almost finished....
Old 11-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Did you guys try this one?
https://wesleyscustom.com/RC_Boat_Decals.php
Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 PM
jetpack

Yes thanks HJ that was my only lead and she told me she would look into a quote but never got back to me, but that was a scan of some really poor copies that I submitted.

I believe doing it at home with the Testor's kit is the way to go anyways, especially with having a clean decal sheet to start with.

When I contacted Westley's I was more concerned about them being able to clean up what I had, and they were still learning the software to do it.

The major hitch to making the decals I believe will be comming up with the metallic gold ink cartridge which I believe they make but not sure it is suited to water slide decal use - but I suppose if there's a will there's a way around that...
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

I believe Al Waters at one time did graphics, not sure if it's still the case.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 PM
jetpack

The originals were silk screened I believe.

I did the scanning of my decals tonight and did some playing around with a photo editor prorgram to see what luck I would have of cleaning one up.

RJ I'll send you an email of original scans.

To do it up right I would trace it out in paintbrush or similar without the pinstriping because the gold is somewhat mis-regestered and very translucent.

After redrawing it, add back better pinstripes.

If there's a better way to go about getting the "canvas" sort of speak into solid colors to tell the printer let me know.

It would be best to have the printer print a solid graphic image instead of a retouched photo attempt on my part.

Name:	Ig11799.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1318297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83557.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1318298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64534.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1318299  
Old 11-22-2009, 02:05 AM
R.J. West

Well my next step is to figure out how to blow the pic up a tad on my pc....The atlas "A" is printing up at about 1/2 inch, I need them to be about3/4 inch I think....I'm measuring from top of A to the horozontal bar that forms the A.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 AM
chief3452

Mr. West, I've been watching this build from the beginning and have been really impressed with your workmanship and dedication to the 1/2A heritage. Really, just an outstanding job !!! I thought I would share a method for creating decals I learned from some aircraft modelers that has worked well for me.

1. Scale your image to the correct size
2. Buy some full size label paper...I got mine at OfficeMax
3. Print the image on to the label paper
4. Tape over the image area with 3M brand packing tape to protect the ink from smearing...I believe any clear cellulose tape would work
5. Cut the image out of the full size sheet and apply to the sanded model...be sure to rub down the entire decal so that it is stuck well, especially the edges
6. Scuff the decal with red Scotchbrite pad being careful to not dogear the edges and apply clearcoat to entire model

In your case, this method would work great because you have a perfect scan of your image and your boat is white. There is one drawback to these decals however, and that is they are a good bit thicker than water transfers. Here are a couple of my projects using this procedure.

Name:	If10677.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1318562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35347.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1318563  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.