Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas 1/2A Atlas van lines build

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas 1/2A Atlas van lines build

Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Dumas 1/2A Atlas van lines build

Now you're talking a boat I know something about. The 1973 Pay N' Pak ran as the Pak in 73, 74, 75 and 77. It ran as the Atlas in 76, and was sold to Madison Indiana after the 1977 season. While in Madison, the boat ran as the Miss Madison, Holsett Miss Madison, American Speedy Printing, Dr. Toyota and several other names. It last raced in Tri-Cities Washington in 1988. At the following race in Seattle, the brand new Holsett Miss Madison made it's first race with Ron Snyder driving. Her day was cut short when the John Prevost driven Circus Circus ran over the Madison while it was at the dock, causing extensive damage. After being repaired, the new Madison went to San Diego where both she, with Ron Snyder, and the Circus, again with John Prevost, both blew over within a second of each other while trying to catch the Oberto. The Madison raced through 2006, being converted to turbine power in 1990, winning a few races and two Driver's Championships for driver Steve David. It is now the back up boat for the now two time national champion Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison. Hope you all don't mind a history lesson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37867.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1324760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33475.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1324761  
Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
R.J. West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 1/8 scale dumas pay n pak built back in '94. nice and solid hull, built the dumas way...could have used the thing as a battering ram in a drug bust and still make the race the next day....I sold it to a friend and now dumas discontinues that and the 1/8 atlas....Their way of saying thanks to all my faithfull purchases over the years....
but I do have 2 sport 20 paks/and my U-76...I still have it...Just as solid as the 8th scale pak..I'm going to have to start a new thread on locating graphics for my U-76 sport 40...

How about a history lesson on the Gale style hulls? Did they ever break 200mph?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:57 PM
R.J. West

I started to install everything in the boat, I still have to print up the artwork for the sponsons and when its all finished its going to be shot down with a coat or two of clear....enjoy!

Name:	Pn36812.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1334474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10742.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1334475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41283.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1334476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71509.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1334477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42870.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1334478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm84116.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1334479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49514.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	1334480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16369.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	1334481  

Old 01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
R.J. West

And you guys thought this post was dead........

I finally gotten around to my Little Atlas U-71. The original Dumas waterslide decal's darn near desolved when I dunked them in luke warm water. So with JetPacks help by emailing me copies of his Atlas decal sheet I went over to Hobby Lobby and picked up some Testors waterslide paper and a can of Testors decal bonder. After an afternoon of cussing, taking breaks to cut the grass, so I wouldnt throw my printer in the garbage, this is what I came up with....
I'm happy with the quaility of the testor paper and the decal bonder, which I never used before. The end result which you see here is a combination of several types of decals. The long blue stripes are auto trim, the "U-71"s & "Atlas van lines" logo's are Dumas and the Atlas "A's & stripes on the decks are the testors paper I printed up....I guess if someone was a real stickler about it, you may contact a sign company or PGI graphics maybe and have them do it for a cost....
I'm going to let the decals dry for a day and then I'm going to shoot it down a couple coats of laquer clear.
Its not my best work but it looks better than before....

Name:	Jh15580.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1360360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26973.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1360361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54278.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1360362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24079.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1360363  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lovely work.. almost ready to video the maiden voyage.. woot.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better get that flipping finger ready. Not that one, either!

The Atlas is turning out nice. I gave up so many times on my printer with that decal it makes me cry.

I always freak out on clear coating even though nothing has ever gone bad since I was a kid doing it. I just remember a '41 Willy's coupe with sapphire blue metallic paint crinkling up like paint stripper was put on it overcoating a couple of small decals that didnt even need it. LOL! weeeeeeee.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
R.J. West

Hey jet,
About printing those decals on my printer. its not the best job as it has some minor flaws if you look up close. I didnt want to mess with them too much as I was in danger of blowing a fuse. My poor dog was even hiding from my relentless cussing at my desfunctional printer.(Lexmark) The decals for the Atlas A's and stripe on the sponsons are not quite up to scale but veryclose to the originals...Its not really neccessary for me to tell you how many pulse pumping, beer bottle throwing hours it took me to print up on spare sheets of paper to even get it to where its at before I dared print up on my short supply of Testors paper! But hey, its just a hobby, right?
I've seen some Testors packaging that includes the paper, spray & a little floppy cd of a editing program, which I may try in the future. I have printed up some tests of a STP decal I lifted from the net with good results. But with the right editing program I think it might be better for your health..

I'm happy with the results I've got with Dupi-color gloss white & the laquer clear coat. I hosed the boat down with at least 2 coats of gloss white and let it sit for about a week before I wet sanded it with 400. I then shot it down again with another two coats and let that sit for awhile til I got to it again. I then wet sanded it lightly with some ultra fine sandpaper from Testors, it was a red sanding film. I applied the decals. Then finally got around to shooting dupi-color clear over it. I shot it down both sides with about 4 coats. I wanted to ensure a nice long finish to it....it still looks thin though but the decals are sealed....But to be sure I did test spray the clear on the bottom of the cowl to check for any adverse reaction.
Overall I'm happy with the Testors decal bonder spray & waterslide paper, they worked together very well and compared to the dumas decals that are on parts of the boats, its like day n night. The Testors waterslidepaper is superior to the Dumas decals. The testors paper is very smoothand intothe finish of the paint whereas the dumas is slightly raised..
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
jetpack

That's how I like to build a paint job also. At least two good coats first and then stopping to sand to straighten the paint. If I liked how the paint acted on the first two coats, I'll give it one more even coat of paint stopping just as it glosses out to cover the sanding and if no decals, no clearcoat. Clearcoats tend to take away from a nice solid color sometimes. It just doesn't hit the eye right like a hard solid color can but with boats it's almost a must because of the fuel.

I've done quite a bit of plastic modelling over the years and been involved with that right along with other things like the boats and have never heard a bad report on the Testors decal kit. It's something I'm going to have to do also with mine but my problem starts with trying get it to print to size on my printer, plus the sheet that came with my kit as you maybe noticed is off registration with the gold and silver pinstriping along the colors. I have a half attempt started on correcting that in my photoshop files.

Because the Atlas doesn't come with the smaller sponsor decals like STP as you found out, it put me on a hunt for good images for decals and found that searching "manufacturer logo" on Google turns up a couple of very expansive websites with logos galore to save from, plus they are usually really high resolution images. Here's ones that I found for my project that I have re-sized and grouped to print out on Testors film when I'm ready.

Name:	Bz78715.gif
Views:	116
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1361091  
Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
R.J. West

I found over at Hobby Lobby a set of those dry rub transfer decals for pine cars worked out well. Look at the cowl and you'l see the champion and pennzoil decals. I googled STP and then images and copied the images on my pc and test printed a few. but could not get them to print this small...
I'm going to let the clearcoat sit for a few days, and rub some car wax into it for a shine....

Name:	Fd92021.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1361138  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 AM
R.J. West

Well after my failed painting attempt with my U-76, I think my future projects will be done with Dupli-color automotive laquer. I know that Laquer will not stand up to high nitro fuel, from what I've read. Although I personally never experienced issues with Rustoleum or Dupli-color paint on my boats. Of course if theres any mess I usally clean up right away. I like experimenting with different clears over the paints.

I did shoot the boat down with Dupli's laquer clear this time,which dried very thin between coats. I gave it about 5 good coats overall. I let the clear dry for about 2 days then used Turtle wax rubbing compound to smooth out some overspray and get a killer gloss out of it, then I applied regular car wax and gently buffed out a nice wet shine.....
I made a few changes since then. I'm not 100% sold on my driveshaft's angle and position so I installed the little brass strut that came with the hardware kit 1 inch forward of the transom as stated in the plans, the prop is still at the transom though. At least I thought I'd see how it ran in its stock setup and make changes later.....The stuffing tube is held in place with RTV clear anyway so it makes it easier to make changes without tearing up the hull....
I'm painting my Thriftway model next....same deal except I'l clear over the dupli-color with helmsman spar urethane.....After watching the movie 'Madison" I decided to try to recreate that shovelnosed "Atlas" that was in the film, since I have printed up some spare atlas decals on that Testors paper, that and the Dumas Thriftway decals look so wrinkly old, I'm not even going to attempt at trying to use them.....

My next build will be the Dumas lil' rascal with a .10 engine......if I can even find a .10....
Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Pond Skipper

Did ya ever run this one?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
R.J. West

No I havent

I've been so caught up in my Pay N Pak sport 20 build, and I'm finishing on my U-76. I wanted to get those ready for the race season this year and theres not much interest in running a 1/2A class. Imagine that?I wonder how longa heat racewould be on a full size course.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Pond Skipper

Lol well look at stock 05 electric classes with cracker boxes lots of bouncing around at sub 30mph. I would agree though the course size would have to shrink up to make is exciting. I will post some vids of  1/2A running in the next few months as the weather has been getting better.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 PM
flyboy4422

I just bought a new kit from Dumas from Ebay,will be starting it soon.I have a brushless 380 for power and two 1100 2s lipos for power.Your build brings back memories of when I built one back in 75 with a golden bee engine and starting it using a shoe string for a starter rope while holding the boat with my legs pointed at me.Got it running then turned if loose on a local pond doing circles with no tether.It ran for 3-4 min then I had to cast my pole to get it back.Not sure what happened to it but Im now 47 wanting to build another with micro rc equipment.My classmate Jeff Campbell of seattle got me started again by letting me drive his 50mph Hydro,I was hooked real quick!So within two months Ive purchased three Hydros,4 v hulls and the Creole Queen.Enough work to keep me busy for years,LOL.I hope to have it built soon,Im a avid model plane builder since I was 12 and should have it done within a couple weeks when I find my work bench,LOL
Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Pond Skipper

Post a pic lets see what your working with..
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
advanced builder

coming back from the dead,Halloween is here [:-]
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM
coriolan

Any new development on the 1/2A boats front? Dug out my TD .049 "Marine" and will start a semi scale hydro for it soon

Name:	Yw66533.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1567094  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM
jetpack

Money crunch here, stalled out the building of my workshop. Trying to finish up some props in the meantime. Found a place to get the long driveshafts for the Atlas and Miss Thriftway, about $8 each. Message me if you want some because you're not suppose to post hobby shops here. Anxious to cut out my idea of a 1/2A Dumas Drag N Fly.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:33 AM
zlin50ls
My Feedback: (351)

Default Dumas Atlas Van Lines Hydro

I enjoyed reading this build thread and got some great information. Iím looking to build a 24Ē Miss Circus Circus hydro with Newton and Dumas plans. Iím thinking about an Eflite 70 mm EDF for my power source. Other than using a higher rated ESC, what would you recommend? This will be scratch built, so Iím not restricted by much except weight. Very knowledgeable people on this thread. Please chime in.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:50 PM
Pond Skipper

There is also a 1/2A thread with more pics / vids. These boats need 80w to 200w power to run well.
With lipo cells you should be able to keep the weight down. 3S / 2000kv - 2500 kv if with a water prop.
In your case a 70mm EDF unit is treading new ground post some vid if you get it running.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by zlin50ls
I enjoyed reading this build thread and got some great information. Iím looking to build a 24Ē Miss Circus Circus hydro with Newton and Dumas plans. Iím thinking about an Eflite 70 mm EDF for my power source. Other than using a higher rated ESC, what would you recommend? This will be scratch built, so Iím not restricted by much except weight. Very knowledgeable people on this thread. Please chime in.
Why would you use an EDF to power a hydroplane? Something that isn't well known is that the prop actually carries the back of the boat. Unless your turbine pipe is pointed straight back, it will be pushing your boat down, affecting speed and handling and not in a good way.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 AM
JGalt

Dumas Lil Swamp Buggy circa 1980-81.

Tee Dee .051 with Tarno Carburetor, and possibly a Tatone muffler. A Sullivan 1oz fuel tank was used rather than the engine mount tank.
I am so glad to find the Dumas 1/2A link! Way back in 1976-80 I was building 1/2A planes. Then around 1981, decided to build the ultimate 1/2A boat for my kids to have fun with. And did they ever. The boat is a Dumas Lil Swamp Buggy. I took a Tee-Dee .051 and outfitted it with a Tarno Carburator and I think, it is a Tatone muffler (EV7). I went upstairs to see if we still have the boat and sure enough, it was there. It even still has the EK Logictrol radio. I removed the clear, plexiglas cowl cover for the photos. Okay, so now I have the bug again. 1/2A is very cool.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Pond Skipper

Tons of gear out there on ebay and such you should be able to sort out a good 1/2A boat project!
The Dumas swap boat brings back memories. Yours can be upgraded with new low weight RC gear
and can update the paint scheme finished with some clear coat. If you get it running post a vid never
enough vintage boat vids with 1/2A engines!

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 08-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Pond Skipper

I just bought a Dumas Sk Daddle, few of their 1/2A submeraged props
and the strut, drive shaft to run old school. I may just go with a surface
drive but nice to have the option.

Dumas Products Estore

I retained a Dumas Short Stuff kit vintage all mahogany the wood is dried out and the
glue for the laminated main frame is failing. Now the kit is sold with lite ply for the main frame.
I may call them to request a replacement frame as the solid mahogany is holding up fine and
can be made into a boat.

I was gathering up gear to run it with a 1/2A car engine a SH .07 with a tuned pipe.
This setup may go into the SK Daddle now.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 08-05-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:06 PM
Mr.E.T.

Default I could/really need to use those instructions please.

Originally Posted by R.J. West
Today I received my Dumas kit #1301 Atlas van lines U-71. Dumas discontinued this boat, I dont know how long but this one and the Miss Thriftway is also gone. You can sometimes find these on ebay. I paid $70. Dumas still offers a handfull of other small 18" boats designed either for electric or .049 Cox engines. I have a 18" Dv-10 "short-Stuff that I'll be working on later. I also received my running hardware from Dumas same day I got my boat! The Dumas hardware for the Atlas is kit# 2306, cost me 21 bux. I will be using a rebuilt Cox Babe bee .049 with a throttle sleeve, and the boat shall be made to be radio controlable. I may add a small fuel tank in the nose, cause the babe bee only holds 5cc's fuel..
I plan on building the hull as stated on the plans except maybe drilling some small holes in the bulk heads so to allow water to drain out in case some gets in.
I'm not sure how old the wood is in this kit, it appears to be 1/16 mahagony. Also included is a decal sheet and plastic full length cowl and instructions printed on both sides with lots of pictures
Any questions, comments, concerns are always appreciate
so I just bought the same kit but it is missing the
assembly instructions. . I was wondering if I could
Get a copy or buy or could you simply lend them to
me please. Thank you .