Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Reviving an old Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Reviving an old Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
vicdat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving an old Hobby

I'm thinking of taking my two old K&B outboards (a 3.5 and a 7.5) out of mothballs after a 22 year layoff in my garage. I used to run these every weekend at Legg Lake or Echo Park here in SoCal back in the 80's before I had a "family"...I've been into nitro cars for sometime, and would like a change of pace. What issues will I have with older boats that have been in storage?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Reviving an old Hobby

it all depends how well you stored them.

I assume that they are wooden hulls, the wood could have warped, some places may have become unglued and
they can also be just fine.

the same goes for your two engines, if you oiled them well before you stored them they maybe like new.
take the engines apart and go over the bearings etc.

Dan.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
rcguy1411

take them apart inspect the bearings change the gaskets they tend to develope leaks after sitting around unused clean the carb grease the flexshaft replace if needed you can get all the info you will need a www.mecoa.com parts are a little harder to find but they are still around reassemble use blue loktite on all bolts hope this gets you going in the right step
Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
vicdat

Thanks Guys...I'll check them out and clean the engines. The 7.5 is an old fibreglass Deep-V, and the 3.5 is a home made wooden V cruiser. I work near to Mecoa in Monrovia and Eric is really knowledgable about these engines and the Toki engines (which I have in my 1/16 nitro buggy). I know I removed the batteries and put a little ARO in the cylinders... so hopefully they'll be back out on ther lake with my Spektrum system in them soon.