Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tiger drive system

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tiger drive system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
hydroracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger drive system

Iam hoping somebody can help me..Ihave a Miss Llumar boat with the pull start and was wanting to put a tiger drive system on it.and take the pull start off of it...Can this be done? If so, where would go to buy one of those??

Thanks
Nate

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 PM
rcguy1411

Default RE: Tiger drive system

they sell the tiger drive system at tower hobby
Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: hydroracer

I am hoping somebody can help me..I have a Miss Llumar boat with the pull start and was wanting to put a tiger drive system on it.and take the pull start off of it...Can this be done? If so, where would go to buy one of those??

Thanks
Nate

if u don't mind suggesting to get a starter belt and hand starter for more reliability,,tower hobby carries it..tiger drive gears easy get mess-up particularly when cranking it with flooded engine..

ww
Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Like Jul said, they do have their problems. I bought one for my son's RC truck and had problems with it right from the start. The vacuum-formed dust covers kept breaking so the mounting bolts would come loose. If the engine flooded it would spin the bevel gear going to the crankshaft. They are only press-fit onto the shaft. Had they at least tack-welded them on or used a splined shaft it would have made it more durable.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:10 AM
danielplace

As already mentioned install a belt and get a electric starter for beltstarting. The Tiger Drives will not last too long. Just a short time and they are jamming and stripping out.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Sublime_Slayer

I have the 1/12 Miss Elam (same boat, different paint scheme.). I believe the S695 (6mm internal bearing) is the one that comes with the Dynamyte .15. I swapped out the stock .15 for the Proboat .18 and the tiger drive system was a direct fit.

If you want to look it up for yourself go here: http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Tige...fmainframe.htm

The Proboat .18 is also a Dynamyte engine. Look for Dynamyte 15S Marine. As far as I can tell that is the one that you would want. Make sure to get the recommended spacer, I don't remember which one exactly,..........maybe 1 or 2mm? I will measure the spacer size on mine next time Igo out to the garage if need be.

However, when Ron steers you in a direction it is out of experience; far beyond anything that I could even attempt to provide to you! He knows his stuff. I just wanted to give you a hand if you were dead set on going with the Tiger Drive. Mine has worked well enough. As mentioned in other replies, if it floods you gotta clear it out or it will cause damage to either the hand held starter unit or the drive gears itself. Not only that,.......but the boat turns into a great big propeller when it hydrolocks! Don't ask me how I know!

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
hydroracer

That sounds great! Iwanted to upgrade to the .18 anyway...these boats are a ton of fun..Irace stock outboard hydroplanes and we have these at the races and the pull just gets annoying...thanks for the advice...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When I got the one for my kid, we just used a 12-volt cordless drill to crank it over with a ball driver that I cut the handle off from.
The life of one would be extended if you never flooded the motor. It seems like I was the first one to have problems with the one I got as the people at Sullivan wanted me to send it in so they could see what went wrong otherwise it is guaranteed. It just takes a while to get another though.
If you decide that you have ot have one, keep the pull-starter and take it with you for those just in case times. For later on down the road you might want to start thinking about getting a hand-held starter. Once you have gotten one you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.