Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Water Skier

Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Skier

Prather FunCruiser with Homelite 30cc - hauls the nail just fine and a good time - especially jumping wakes and waves. BUT - can anyone suggest how to construct a water ski figure that could be towed?
I tried towing a kite using braided line and a foam bobber on a custom harness which kept the line away from the prop - even while idling - worked okay - but of course it added a lot of drag causing rapid heat.
The water skier idea, on the hand, shouldn't add a lot of drag , butall I can think to do is builditalong the lines of a sail boat keel.
Any suggestions would be welcome, and I will post progress as project commences.
Thanks to you all, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Water Skier

The only one that I've seen work well was pulled behind a scale runabout. The owner had it so that it could float upright of course but under the water had a V shaped wire connector that was ballasted to help keep the figure upright.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

how about a water skiing squirel? Should give you a good idea on how it's done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xxKwesCKJk[/youtube]
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM
TCHedOff

I've been thinking about this since you 1st posted it. A skier poses some interesting challenges IMO. One I anticipate would be a tendency to nose dive. The horizontal CG would have to be pretty far to the back (or you might try putting a "runner" or ski under the ski board to lift the nose.

Another would be side-to-side stability. Ski board would have to be wide OR have a lot of weight in the keel you mentioned trying. On the subject of keels - I'd think the slope of a traditional sailboat-style keel would generate lift and make things unstable, and it would get worse the faster you went. However the reverse may work better (where the keel slopes forward as it gets deeper). This way the faster you went, the more the keel would dig down - essentially making the skier get heavier

And lastly would be the vertical CG. Have to be low, but the aforemetioned keel design could help with this.

DISCLAIMER!: I have NO experience with skiers and have ONLY built one boat from scratch/plans. But I DO think your project is interesting! Happy Holidays!![8D]
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Sublime_Slayer

Sounds like a fun idea. I just don't know if the amount of work to accomplish to objective is justifiable.  I only say this because I have on many occasions been wrapped up by fun little mods that I eventually took off or threw away! lol
I wish that I could add some positive feedback on the build but all that I really worry about is the lateral stability. Maybe you could find a skier that uses two skis and a wide base. You could add some weight to the bottom of the skies themselves to help keep the COG low. Chances are that there is the perfect toy skier at a walmart or something! lol
I wish you success and will be watching to see how it progresses.[8D]
Old 12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
MinnSpin

HEYHEYHEY- THAT'SAGREATIDEA
How about using a ROBOTICHAMSTER?
LMAO
THANKYOU
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather be the squirrel hiding my nuts down her blouse... [:-] , in the past,when i've had more than enuff alcohol in my think tank, i've tried to marinate several plans into reality,I like the parasail idea, but that was a hed-ack, the water skier proved to be another but required less alcohol,take a lesson from the squirrel............. STAY IN THE BOAT............. actually, the idea of a sailboat keel (for stability) linked to a coupla sponsons (with a very low freeboard & disguised as ski's) would work..... [:-]
Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
rc-oldguy

Ok kids you asked for it here it is the FIRST RC WATER SKIER HIS NAME IS BIFF yes biff was born at Wal-Mart and cost me 5 bucks to adopt him

he was a perfect beach dudeI hand made the life vest from thin foam sheet (Wal-Mart 49 cents)the ski boots are hand made supposed to look like the ones on the real skies they are rubberI screwed biff to 2 teck decks hand boardsthey are about 11" long and 2" wide I secured the boards with k&n brass square tube soldered togetherthe keel is made from copper pipe with copper pennies in it for ballast as I weighed the doll it was 6.5 oz so I used a 7.5 oz of ballast

I off set biff about 1" from dead center his skiesare angled tothe keel so it sits back I also drilled holes on the front of the keel rig so I can adjust the pull angle of the skier
he also has the home made tow rope this is attached to the skies with 30lb fish line and a snap swivel to move it around

I’m sure with enough speed and the correct tow angle setting attachment this will work very well I have tested biff with his life vest on and he floats enough thathe wont sink to thebottom but he definitely will NOT float

I also have invented a floating launch system for the water skier I don’t want to give away all my secrets but I am willing to sell you the plans to make your own
if you’d like the plans and measurements and parts list please send me an e-mail @ [email protected] im charging $25.00 USD for all including the launch system or you can try and figure it out on your own based on the pictures

total cost to make was about $25.00 without the teck deck hand boards they are expensive online they go from about $12.00 to $40.00 on e-bay I got mine free from my friendskids toy box

I will have video soon of biff skiing behind my stock shockwave 55 gas boat

I have also invented a remote controlled rocket system for the pro-boat shockwave 55 it uses the fake exhaust tubes that are on the boat to hold from 2 to 4 A-6 rocket engines they really don’t do much at all for thrust to make the boat faster but they do blow a ton of smoke and make a very cool sound guaranteed to turn heads at the pond its run from the 3rd servo channel on the jr radio system I have invented a self contained waterproof firing system that just plugs into the receiver it will also run a electric water pump or bilge system I have an invention for that too all have been made and used tested and true to work all the ideas are for sale so if you want tell me what you’d like to purchase

plans for sale:

rc water skier / launch
rc rocket engine setup
rc remote systems box
electric water pump / bilge
rc boat external trim kit / gas boats

I also do prototype work and if you have an idea I might be able to design it and make it for you
I do simple work from my home
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91631.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1349214   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45092.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1349215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23838.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1349216  
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
MinnSpin

RCOLDGUY - That's great!
The only thing to top this will be my design for Biff to drop his shorts and do a moon pass. LMAO. I hope to have video of that once the ice melts. Thanks for a great idea!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 PM
rc-oldguy

more biff stuff i finished the biff dude and the water launch system heres a few pics  also the video link from the rocket test we had a warm day last week so i went for it    so as far as i can tell biff is ready for the water i have a carbon fiber tow pole attached the the outdrive to do the towing its detachable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5p5eecQfk  for some reason i cant attach pics?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 PM
rc-oldguy

ahh i figured it out more biff

Name:	Jh15581.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1362000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21401.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1362001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55705.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1362002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37371.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1362003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77606.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1362004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul80683.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1362005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz53644.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1362006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu70134.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1362007  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf68535.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1362008  
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
MinnSpin

Ilike your harness - nice swivel (?).
And how did you fix the harness to the rudder clamp?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 AM
rc-oldguy

ok i dont have the 30 lb line attached in the pics  ill take a cpl now   the connection on the boat is a carbon fiber tube that will attach to the outdrive with vynal covered wire clamps  can get em at the hardware store  i just ran the outdrive bolts thru them   i made the pole base from chrome antenna tube and the carbon rod slides into that and then i drilled a hole and put a rc body clip thru it so it can be removed when not in use also i put a 440 tie rod end on the pole to clip the skier string to it   if you look at the pic of the boat youll see it its an antenna tube now and its too weak to tow biff  so i replaced with the carbon fiber pole   ill get pics of the new setup this week 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 AM
rc-oldguy

biffs swivil connection i want every one to make a biff love to see him skiein behind a boat that would be a riot just remember the inventor.....................

Name:	Ki19533.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1362900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62839.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1362901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62316.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1362902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68903.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1362903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51464.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1362904  
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
rc-oldguy

i think hes gonna work and it looks correct too  not draggin around on foam chunks  i think if the speed and angle of tow are correct its gonna work  just makes me wonder why im the fist guy to do this?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
MinnSpin

You're not the first one to do this - WEARETHEFIRSTONE'STODOTHIS - it was my idea, ISTARTEDTHETHREAD!

Any royalties that generate, I expect my cut - at least one third - better yet, I think we should sponser a national contest of sorts - based on design, color scheme, etc.

All kidding aside - you did a good thing and a great idea - thanks for coming up with a solution - although I haven't waterski guy at the walmart yet. Is your offer still valid?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
rc-oldguy

lol if ya really wanna get into it i think the first was the stupid squrril and to tell you the truth i think a rodent on skies is pretty freeky can you imagine the time it took to train andput that poor terrified thing on skies? lol im suprised PETA isnt chaseing the owners around and where the hell is its life vest?

yes i conceed you had the idea first with a non breathing analog however mine is bigger and i think will be crazy fun on the back of a big boat i have a vid cam all ready to go that will take footage of biff on the back of the boat just gotta wait for the ice to melt

**************OR DO I?*************************** CHECK THE PIC.......................... lol

Name:	Nl29515.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1368422  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
TCHedOff

Just an FYI.... that sking squirrel is still around - he was at a show here in Minneapolis a couple weeks ago.... the squirrel has some crazy name name like "Iggy" (Dont remember but it had 2 -g's and ended in a "y").
Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
blacksheep_2u

rc-oldguy Don't want to give up your secrets,I thought internet was for sharing the info.And I was going to tell about the solom skier I'm building with lead wieght shifted by micro servo(oops I already gave away to much.....: )