Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro content

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro content

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 AM
wet a wild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro content

hallo to all boaters. can any one please explain why some glow plugs are sold by nirto content example the higher the nitro the cooler the plug where other plugs is recommended by engine size.
what would 25% nitro content be rated medium or high?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: nitro content

Medium to low for boats.
I like to hang out with the RC car and truck guys then tell them that we boaters run 65% and they can't believe it! I offer to fill their tanks up just for fun and haven't had one take me up on it yet, the cowards!
I've run McCoy MC-9's in about everything but I really didn't see how much heat range mattered until I ran my little .12 powered boats. I got some plugs to try in different ranges and saw how badly my engines needed the right plugs. It seemed like the larger the engine, the less critical they were on the plugs. I've got a card of O'Donnell's next to try when I get unfrozen water again.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 AM
wet a wild

so the suggestion is for me to use medium to hot plugs like os a3 plug. every place got its downfall. in cape town south africa we dont got frozen up ponds but a strong south easter wind that reach up to 60 kph. racing boats in that conditions aint no joke
Old 12-27-2009, 08:24 AM
misshydro

if your running 30%+ nitro you need to run a cold plug..20-28%nitro needs medum plugs 10-18% nitro needs a hot plug..that what MC charts said...
Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Dan S

with your 25% nitro you can run a Mc-Coy 9, an OS 8, the OS A3 could work well also, or a K&B 1L or maybe an O'Donnell red dot (the K&B HP may work, but its more for over 25%).

Dan.