Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

can boats go in salty water?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

can boats go in salty water?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Mr sexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can boats go in salty water?

I am mostly an rc car guy but wouldn't mine getin into boats. i was think of either getin an rc sail boat as i sale a full size international 420 or a Thunder Tiger - Outlaw 7.5 nitro V,.
I don't have many lakes around where live but i have ocean, can a nitro v boat be run in the ocean with out having all sorts of problems?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 AM
icedude1989

Default RE: can boats go in salty water?

weeeeeelllllll, does your big boat go in salt water?? of course it does. so even the small ones do!!!! of course, lubing up properly the prop shaft and cleaning everything thoroughly is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY etc etc important. i have had my prop shaft seize twice from not properly lubed and i do lube it, but i had done a quick job of it and i got my results in about a week cos it was all rusty. i had to pull it (literally) all apart and clean it up. but i had learnt my lesson. btw. cleaning the carb is also very very important cos i had mine jam while shut once and its not nice to have to pry it open. again my mistake for not being thorough in my cleaning. anyways a v is great fun in the sea as it chops through the waves nicely. other than the cleaning, you shouldnt have anything else out of the ordinary pop up unexpectedly.

tc and have fun. its a great hobby to get into.

dave
Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Mr sexy

Im not worried about maintenance me and my dad always to fix or change on my yacht if in its not putin tape over holes in my spinakker its fidling with some part of the rigging changing or tuning to make it go its fastest. does any one else on this forum sail boats?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, we do have a sailboat forum in here........
Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
rcguy1411

yes you can run in salt water after each use all you do is rince it off with fresh water give it agood cleaning soap and water rince then if you get the nitro boat WD40 is your best friend spray the engine down then open the carb ab spray some more remove the glow plug crank the engine till the WD 40 is not comming out in a mist repalce the glow plug then wipe down the engine with a rag and your done till next time you want to go out still have a engine that i run from the late 80 s thaat was run in salt water every weekend its looks like new
Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

yes you can run in salt water after each use all you do is rince it off with fresh water give it agood cleaning soap and water rince then if you get the nitro boat WD40 is your best friend spray the engine down then open the carb ab spray some more remove the glow plug crank the engine till the WD 40 is not comming out in a mist repalce the glow plug then wipe down the engine with a rag and your done till next time you want to go out still have a engine that i run from the late 80 s thaat was run in salt water every weekend its looks like new
Didn't know there was salt water in Ontario[8D]...................Sorry could'nt resist
Old 01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also sail full size. I sail a cherub. Back to the question. Sailing a model yacht on salt water is no problem. Just make sure you wash everything and lube the rudder and keel shafts. I have a seawind that I sail on salt with no dramas. Nitro however is different. I have used nitro boats on salt and while it is possible there is soooo much more work involved that IMO it is not worth it. I now only run my power boats on fresh water. My first nitro boat was a hammer that I used on salt water. After every days running I would have to basically strip the boat down to clean and lube everything. Leaving the boat until the next day to do this would result in the carb locking up and usually the motor too. One time I forgot to pull the prop shaft out and 3 days later it was locked solid and required the inner and outer shaft to be replaced. Its not just the motor either. Any exposed metal will rust like crazy after running in salt. With my boats after running in fresh I spray the harware with WD-40 or something similar, put some afterrun oil in the motor and they are good to go. Don't get me wrong, running on salt water is possible but don't underestimate how important cleaning and lubing everything after is.
IMO it's not worth it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 PM
rcguy1411

ORIGINAL: coriolan

Didn't know there was salt water in Ontario[8D]...................Sorry could'nt resist
used to live in Bermuda ie. the triangle also lived in vancover so think i know a little about salt water
Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 AM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: coriolan

used to live in Bermuda ie. the triangle also lived in vancover so think i know a little about salt water
Now I feel guilty for that cheap shot
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
fastpepper

lol... yea i live in victoria... :P i really want to get my shockwave 36 into the salt water.... :P
hahaha and i dont really like the international 420's... ive beeen sailing the club 420's now for 5 years ( came second in canadian nationals in 2009 )
anyways...nice cheap shot btw... xD