Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

need advice plz

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

need advice plz

Old 07-10-2003, 02:10 AM
wismerhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice plz

hi all...
i want 2 get into nitro boats ..what a great idea, isnt it? but i have no idea about them at all...any1 some recommendation??

was thinking about two kyoshos model, nitro viper and bluestreak

what do u think? or do u have other opinions

anyway thx

have a nice day

wis
Old 07-12-2003, 04:08 AM
wismerhell

Default :(

Well nothing...bought a Tug for saving my Seawind..more useful...a nitro will be for nxt time, too bad...still have no idea what i should get
Old 07-13-2003, 12:58 AM
lap cat 1 racer

Default need advice plz

id get the pro boat miss bud. its full rtr and it runs 30mph out of the box i think you can get one for about $300-350 go to the link below for info its a good learners boats but it has to be calm to run it

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=PRB2200
Old 07-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Cat500

Default need advice plz

I'm new to this. Bought the Miss Bud about 2 weeks ago and its already wrecked. Need some advice on how to repair the front spoiler. Hit a boat dock at low speed and cracked it pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend this boat for a first timer. The water has to be exceptionally calm or the waves will make it submarine. The servo hatch is supposed to be taped but that doesnt work very well. The boat takes on alot of water even in smooth water settings. I ordered a auto bailer and octura metal prop last week. I think i'm going to get rid of it and get a cat. Maybe a Drifter L or something like that.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Ken Hildreth

Default need advice plz

My advice would be to try to get a used boat from an experianced model boater, Talk to some experianced model boaters and see what they think, you should be in the right place for that. I am not a big fan of ready to run boats because i havent really seen one that was worth much. they seem to be a lot of trouble for alot of people. But I think a great starter boat is a twenty mono with a nova rossi or a mac 21. My two favorites in this class of boat is the speedmaster and the seaducer, both easy to build the seaducer has detailed instructions and Jerry usually answers all questions that are asked. But these boats are fairly fast 40 plus for beginners, and around 50 when experianced boaters get ahold of one. I drive hydros mostly now, but I still think its a blast to grab my boys 21 mono and blast it around the lake! these boats also turn well both left and right. hope i helped a little, Ken
Old 08-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Cat500

Default need advice plz

I'm watching the videos of the Super G and Shockwave right now and the big gas Vee hulls sure look like alot of fun. They can go full speed and just turn on a dime. They sure are expensive though.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:26 AM
Ken Hildreth

Default need advice plz

where in texas are you, I know of some good boaters in Texas, but that is an awful big state and they may not be close to you. the shockwave is a 30mph boat stock, but there is room for improvement. If you are interested in gas, have you tried jims boat dock. they have alot of gas boats on there. I personally have a aeromarine avenger with a quickdraw 25 and a Rc marine designs Round nose hydro with a G260 and a hanson pipe. although I am still adapting some to gas as I have ran Nitro for 18 years. Ken
Old 08-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Cat500

Default need advice plz

Dallas area, about 45 min SE of Dallas to be exact. Cedar Creek Lake.

Could really use some help on figuring out what to do with the Bud boat. I don't want to be into it $1000 a year from now and still hate it. The videos of the Super G look pretty cool.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:05 AM
Ken Hildreth

Default need advice plz

there is a race in dallas august 30th and 31st, you could go and get some good information live there. I will talk to my buddy in texas and get you more information, http//ntmpba.com I think i did that right. that is the north texas model power boat assoc. you should be able to find boaters in your area through this
Old 08-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default need advice plz

Rip Holdridge lives in North Carrollton (sp.) and has a bunch of boats for sale right now. Here is a link to his list: http://www.intlwaters.com/yabbse/ind...;threadid=2487
Old 08-01-2003, 03:50 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need advice plz

Ken,
You do sound like you are very experiance with the nitro. I've been running the CMB21 LS in a outrigger, and man see just flat out gets it. I just got one of them cheap $114.00 O.S.MAX man what a dog. Do you know of any little tricks that I can do to it to get more power? The engine is still not broke in yet, but I can see that it is not going to do what I want it to, and it is cheap, so it does not matter that much if I cut on it or what ever it takes to make it go. After it is broke in I will shorten the tune pipe to where it needs to be, and I will lean on it. I'm running the H10 and a modified X445, the engine is turning them, but not all that fast.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:53 AM
Ron Olson

Default need advice plz

One thing, the prop is WAY too big for that motor, that's why it's a dog! Take it down to an Octura X440 or less. The X437's and X438's work well on that motor too.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Ken Hildreth

Default need advice plz

Ron is right about the prop, and the x437s he is refering to the two blade and three blade, I would go on the less of his advice and try the x438. as for the hydro, which hydro is it? if you dont know do you have a pic. I am not familiar with that motor, My twentys are all Nova Rossi motors because that is what I prefer, on my 21 hydro is a modified 1450. but many hydros like the 1445. also, I have heard that once again ABC has an H6 prop that i really liked. Dont know if i could help you with that motor much at all, I dont know the intakel/exhaust timing. or the rotor timing. I really havent ran an OS since they quit making the old os46. dont think i helped much there. Ken
Old 08-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Default need advice plz

I normally run the CMB21 LS in my rigger, runs real well. Desided to try the O.S. 21, it just is not the CMD or a Rossi. I was wanting to know if I could get the engine to turn the bigger props, like what mods can be done to the engine. I am running it on my own rigger that is scratch built. The hull bare ways 14ozs. with all the rigging weighs 3lbs 4-1/2ozs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98349_42256.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	53428  
Old 08-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Ken Hildreth

Default need advice plz

thats a cool little boat, I would bet the rudder doesnt need to be that long, and you could get more speed yet. great weight. as for the motor, I am still at a loss without seeing it actually run. i am not sure why the motor wont turn any real size props, wish i knew more specs on it. Ken
Old 08-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Default need advice plz

Ken You are right about the rudder lenght, I cut it down while I was running the CMB engine. The turn fin took a little playing with. To bad with the OS I don't need the turn fin. In a way thats a little help, less drag. May be after it is well borken in, it might wake up and run.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Ron Olson

Default need advice plz

Ken, you've got some good eyes!
While I've got you, a friend of mine is getting ready to move down there. He lost his job at what is now Pfizer and got a job in St. Louis. He has 2 boats, a Dumas 3.5 tunnel and an Aeromarine Cat wirh a NR .21 in it. He is looking for people to run with or a Club. Can you help me and him? Thanks. Oh yeah, his name is Mike DuPuis (pronounced DooPwee).
Old 08-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Ken Hildreth

Default need advice plz

Yes, I can, I am the president of the St. Louis Thunderboaters. We hold one race a year. and run at a couple different lakes each weekend. Except when I go to race. I Usually race once a year at Warren MI at the Gm plant. But we opted to race in Ohio this year where they plan to hold gas nats next year. We group up and go to different races. Like Evansville In. and a few others. We would be more than happy to run with him. If you email me direct. I will give you my number to give to him. Ken
Old 08-03-2003, 03:00 AM
Ron Olson

Default need advice plz

Great and thanks. Send me a PM and I will pass it along to him. He's a good guy and slightly crazy like me.