Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

I need a faster boat!!!! PLEASE HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

I need a faster boat!!!! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
djolejnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a faster boat!!!! PLEASE HELP

I have a smokin joes camel boat from dumas. Its basically a hotshot 45 hull. Im running a k&b 7.5 engine with a pipe. It goes around 45mph. I was thinking about putting a 1 ci. k&b engine that has double the hp.,around 5-6 hp. It weighs 7-8 ozs more so I would have to put some weight in the front of the boat. Would this greatly increase the speed? Or should I start from scratch and go with a differant hull and engine set-up? I know the outriggers are the fastest style hulls, but I really dont like them. Are inboard engines faster then the k&b outboards? What would you reccamend doing? I have all the electronics, so I really would only need the hull,running hardware, and engine. But I really want a boat that goes 65+mph. I could even switch to electric I have chargers, and batteries. Im trying to do this for $500- $700 or less. What would you do????
Old 01-23-2010, 06:51 PM
wave waker

Default RE: I need a faster boat!!!! PLEASE HELP

try to get a gas boat if ur goal is 65 mph,,, most of the nitro hull are smaller so at the said speed kinda hard to stay in the water.imo.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Angel727
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: wave waker

try to get a gas boat if ur goal is 65 mph,,, most of the nitro hull are smaller so at the said speed kinda hard to stay in the water.imo.
I disagree with your statement to some extent. My son has a Seducer 60/80 with a CMB .67 green head and with no mods. is doing 60 on GPS. I'm planning to port and do some others mods in that engine and should be able to go in the high 60's or low 70's. My gas Rico with a QH 25 high torque is doing 57 but I just got a new prop that will put the boat in the 60's.

It depends in the set up and your preferences.
Just my $0.02.
AL
Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 PM
djolejnik

Ive seen some of the 1/8 scale gas boats and they dont look like there running 70 mph unless there spending $500-$600 on an engine. Were Ive seen some of the nitro boats running 70+mph ith no problem. I just dont know what set-up to buy. I wouldnt mind an 1/8 scale gas boat, but Im thinking I would have to spend $1000 or more to get one running 70 mph. Where I think I can get a nice nitro to do it ethier with the hull I have or buy another one, and still do it for under $700. I might be wrong though Im no expert. Thatss why Im asking everyone.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hanging the 1 cube on the tunnel boat isn't going to get you to 65. Most K&B's only rev to around 25,000 RPM no matter what the size. Newer engines can crank out 38,000 that aren't K&B's. The Dumas isn't going to like the speeds that you want to reach either. What you're asking for is near record speeds for a 7.5 OB tunnel.
Find a boat that will do 65+ for what you want to spend and I'll buy one myself! OK, there is that eBay joke that advertised as being able to go 55-65 MPH but it only does maybe 19 MPH downhill with a tailwind.
About the only way to go those speeds on a budget is to buy a 'rigger like the JAE .21 but seeing how you don't want one of those then you may be outta luck.
Believe me, 65 is cookin' on the water and driving one at that speed will make your butt pucker until you get used to it. The JAE .21 that is sitting on my building board should be able to hit the 70's with no sweat and I'm kind of worried that it may be too fast for an old fart like me, especially in heat racing conditions.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
advanced builder

Yes I agree with Ron, a K&B is not a high rpm engine. Even with all the hop ups.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
djolejnik

Thanks for the help. I guess Im going to spend more then I thought. I think I might buy a used outrigger, and buy a new engine for it for now, and buy a hydro kit to build as I have the money. I was looking at the hydro sport .40 class. but Im not set on anything yet. I just know I need something faster then what I have now. I started getting into helis the last year or soand I really want to get back into boats seing as I live on a small lake. I just got bored with the boat I have. The fastest Ive had it is 52 mph with the 7.5 and a pipe on it. The lake I live on is really calm so a outrigger or hydro would work perfect. Thanks again!!!! Im glad I didnt spend $600 on another outbored.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You might try a Phil Thomas hull or buy a set of plans from Newton Marine . Either way would be a serious step up from what you have now. A Blazer Whiplash could also get you up there. One thing to remember is that Dumas boats are almost all old designs and, unless heavily modifed, won't get it done. A properly set up Sport 40 or scale hydorplane will get you into the high 50's and maybe into the 60's with some work and serious testing and the right engine set up. The Whiplash is a proven design in racing as well. One note of caution is to stay away from the Pro Boat line. As a general rule, they are poorly balanced and thinly layed up and are known to become unstable long before they reach the speeds you are looking for. You may see posts saying I'm wrong on this one, but most of the faster Pro Boats have had major reworks and serious modifications to get them to run at the speeds "claimed"
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya last year my son and I were playin around with his vegas at the pond and some guy showed up with a proboat 1/8 bud hydro, and right away started shootin his mouth off about how fast it was,,,, well my son kind of snikered at him and asked if he wanted to run against the vegas, The guy told him he should keep his [toy] boat on shore while he was running, Well that was when it got real funny he fired his boat up and was running around maybe 35 mph , my boy tells him to punch the throttle and the guy just keeps driving around so we fire up the vegas and let her fly and had a great time running circles around the proboat , After the run the guy starts makin excuses why his boat wasn,t getting the speed it should and my 14 year old tells him [it's a proboat what did you expect] .
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Reminds me of when I was racing RC trucks.
We had 2 guys show up during practice with an attitude and a strut in ther steps like they were all that and a bag of chips like we were about to get educated. Too bad that they showed up with Radio Shack buggies! Needless to say they didn't stick around too long.