Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro hull questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro hull questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro hull questions

hello, i was wondering what the smallest hull you guys would put a .15 nitro engine in.

i built a 19inch deepvee and i like the shape of the hull, if need be i can make the hull larger when i build the next one scince this one is going to be getting an electric jet drive.
i have a traxxas pro.15 air cooled that i have cut the head down on and done some exstensive port work, alls its lacking is a pull starter, and i cant think of any thing better to do with the dang things scince my stampede is officially not worth putting the motor back in... (it needs about 200 bucks worth of parts)

the motor starts and runs like a champ, this was my first attempt at a ported engine and im tired of watching it be a shelf queen XD

also, what kind of prop would you guys use for a .15, deep vee hull. its an all balsa hull and weighs about 8 oz. after paint.

thanks for the advice,
andy

Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
toyotatruckin

Default RE: nitro hull questions

well ive built some small monos and my opinion something around 23-27 inches will work fine, in fact im building another .18 mono its 25" first prop im starting with is a p215, on a traxxas .15 modified possibly start with a 438/2 or 440/2 but just a guess on the prop ron may chime in and give some better idea hes good with the little monos
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM
andybenton

i was hoping to here from you and ron, lol, you guys have given me quite alot of guidence. im still interested in one of those go motors you have, i may end up getting one and building two of these hulls. im thinking 23" would be good enough. i plan on using a two ounce fuel tank. i know that will only give me around 10 minuets of run time, but i figure that with the ammount of time it takes to refil one of these little tanks it should be fine.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
andybenton

one more thing, ive heard of nitro boats having clutches on them, has any one seen this done on an inboard, or is this a k&b 3.5 thing only.

i would be much more apt to start this build sooner if i could get it clutched

Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 AM
toyotatruckin

Actually I have an 18 in the sale section here and will have from time to time just search it or let me know through PM when the time comes if its not listed dont mean I dont have it.. Ive seen the outboard clutch set-up and think there may have been some other company that used one at one time but personally I wouldnt use one, just one more problem to go wrong and would be a totally custom deal to make.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This must be why my ears are burning!
It could be shoehorned into something as small as a Dumas Deep-Vee 10 which is only 18" long but like I said, it really is a shoehorn job. Just for ease of working on if nothing else I'd go with at the minimum of 24" but 27" also adds width which it needs also for side-to-side stability.
Andy, there are currently 3 nitro boats that I know of that have clutches, the Traxxas Nitro-Vee of course, one really bad one made by Mega-Tech and a relatively new one made by Thunder Tiger, the Outlaw 7.5.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
andybenton

i was thinking that the old nitro vee had a clutch, as well as that funny electric return to shore deal, personally i think that was a pretty awsome idea lol

but at any rate, i do believe im going to check out for some parts on the old nitro vees. i had an opportunity to purchase one but i ended up passing it up for the sake of my carpet car.

im thinking of going with roughly 23-24 inches, just because i layed out all of my gear in a relativley easy to work on pattern and it all seems to fit within the parramaters of my original 23 inches.

i managed to cram it all into my little 19 inch hull, which is actually based off of the dumas hull you mentioned i believe.    the one i based it off of was desighned for an 049-071 but i streched it one inch to give it longer ride area in the back in order to accept my jet drive unit.... at any rate it was some what of a tight fit, but not to horrible actually, would have been much better if i had a good micro servo to opperate my throttle arm lol.