Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: .21 Zippkit ready to go

Two Words:
JB Weld
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell no.. get that puppy tig welded..
Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 AM
advanced builder

That's a great ideal Missy ,as far as JB weld ,I don't have confidence in that stuff. But I do have some JB weld why not give it a try I do need to heat it some to get all the oils out. Let me get back to you on that one. I have bearings let me play
Both were good ideals Thanks the rod is kinda damaged as well.
That's my old trade welder. I spent many an hr behind that mask
Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 AM
advanced builder

OK one last question what will shimming the liner do ??? or adding shims under the liner.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 AM
misshydro

I wouldnt even think about jb welding my engine block. Tig weld is way stronger and better then jb weld plus with tig your adding alum back to your engine block.shimmimng what liner?.the pistion clyender? Rod Geraghty did that with my Axe rossi.12 cobra..if thats it ,then I say you can. Oh Joe friend,girlfriend won a .21 JAE kit at the races in celina.. She got hacked/pick on about it.. saying your not a racer and dont deserve it..She did race a gas boat..Well guess who they ask to put that together for them?? They asked joe since he's got them down pat in building them. Joe is glad because he needs too see it on building that twin.12 JAE.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Hydro Junkie

I've used JB Weld in machine applications and found it to be stronger than what it was used on. Would I use it for a permanent repair or in a high stress area? Probably not, but for that area on a model engine block, clean with nonclorinated brake cleaner and slap some on and see how it works
Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM
misshydro

and if it doesnt hold up you can blame hj ..that to ricky of a chance to take..after looking at it ,it under the side mount of the block..that crack can travel ferther along the side...just do it wright and get it tig welded...you dont want to waist 100.00 or so on another new block.work smarter not harder
Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM
rodneypierce

Your hillarious Miss H. You havnt a clue. Have you ever heard of Frank Orlic?? Tell him never to use JB weld on an engine case, and let me know what he says!!! LMAO!!! Ive seen him use it to fill passages that were ported through, then report the case. Works fine. Like HJ said, if its in a high stress area, then no, but as long as your not moulding an engine lug out of the stuff, it will work just grand....
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
joseywales

ORIGINAL: rodneypierce

Your hillarious Miss H. You havnt a clue. Have you ever heard of Frank Orlic?? Tell him never to use JB weld on an engine case, and let me know what he says!!! LMAO!!! Ive seen him use it to fill passages that were ported through, then report the case. Works fine. Like HJ said, if its in a high stress area, then no, but as long as your not moulding an engine lug out of the stuff, it will work just grand....
You crack me up Rodney! Did you see the pic of it?? I had the samething happened to me with a HPI.21 in my hpi savage race truck. Just about in the same location,but on the other side of the block. Had some smucks/A##clowns telling me to JB weld it. So I did and guess what? It didn't work! The block cracked out more because of the high stress area. Mine was cause by a rod bearing gone bad and chucked the rod one. Advancebuilder do what you want,but if this was me I would get it tig welded. Learned my lesson once and thats enough for me. Well guys I got a JAE.21 to build for my friend girlfriend. The lucky girl won it in a raffle drawing at the boat races in Celina. So I will be posting soon on the build.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Rodney, you might as well save your time and fingers rather than argue with them, they know all. I've never seen them run anything but little JAE riggers or copies there of and RTRs but they obviously know more than what I've learned in 30 years of building and boating. Hell, they've even told me that what I learned from master boaters like the late Ron Erickson and Roger Newton was all wrong. I find that funny as well considering Ron started building tether boats in the 50s and held the speed record for scale boats back in the 70's. He even went so far as to invite me to his house to show me how to frame up a scale boat by helping him work on one of his, a future multirace winner. I built my modded Pak using design features used in Roger's scale plans only to be told the boat will fall apart within the first few runs because unnamed "friends of theirs that are expert builders said so", even though there are probably thousands of similarly built Newton designed hulls successfully racing around the world. I'll get off my soapbox now
Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

JB Weld has been used on zenoah transfer ports for years. The old 23 zens would have JB Weld added over the transfer ports and then extreme porting (right through the existing case) was done. Motors were very strong/fast. Saw one running recently that still gives mod 260's a run for their money. If the bond is not structural then certainly consider giving JB a try. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...tm.htm#9100093

Welding might add the risk of distortion of case.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 AM
advanced builder

I'm off to Ottawa to race. I kinda like Canada, I would like to see the changing of the guard. They wear them funky hats. gotta be a little hot inside that, today. Were in a heat wave. I have a green head .21 CMB inside the tub. But it's untested. Same with the .67 rigger!!! I ran her over to Graig's got 1/2 a lap in she didn't want to turn. I went and bought a Spectrum radio system. But the plug ins are off. I need Spectrum servos . I will use the Flysky system. I don't want to but I have no time.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM
rodneypierce

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

JB Weld has been used on zenoah transfer ports for years. The old 23 zens would have JB Weld added over the transfer ports and then extreme porting (right through the existing case) was done. Motors were very strong/fast. Saw one running recently that still gives mod 260's a run for their money. If the bond is not structural then certainly consider giving JB a try. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...tm.htm#9100093

Welding might add the risk of distortion of case.
We must both be idiots........after all, JW, and Miss H know WAY more then anyone else on here... Anyhow, back to your thread Advanced.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

No comment Rodney as I don't think it would be appreciated

Just got to thinking about it, that must make me an idiot too since I was the one to suggest JB Weld to begin with
Old 07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
advanced builder

thank you all for the classifications, If it hole wasn't in the spot it's in I'd tap-it for a pressure line. one little hole got to be one big pothole. I have the .21 CMB to use this weekend in my .21 Zippkit rigger. My nitro needles may need some attention. they were off last time I was here. I should write down the needle settings. Or will they change with the weather. every time I come to race??? When I do redial in I go from rich to lean to adjust. I look for a light oil coming out the pipe. My hearing to tune is not very good.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Neil, you need a flow meter then. It's always a challenge to get a good needle setting as it will change through-out the day especially if you have a big swing in the weather. It's part of being able to finish a heat.
see if the NR carb will fit into the CMB as that can save you some tuning.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM
advanced builder

Thanks Ron
, A flow meter hay .I need to be lead by hand on a flow meter. I've never even seen one or know where to get one. But I like the ideal. The .21 rigger never ran this weekend. BUT the .12 had a great day running. I won my heat and everyone was clapping and howling. She ran a great heat. The needle was right on.The water was like glass. I'm a happy guy Great weekend. Today's running was a cool Canadian day. The heat wave is gone. My home built .67 rigger FINALLY started to loosen up. The engine was NIB 1980 ides Picco. The needle is barely hanging on. I'm all out past the O-ring and she's still lean. I did see a few good laps, the engine is still semi new. A few more tanks, and the fussiness will stop. The engine shows promise. The hull ran Great. my own design in the style of the Dumas Hawk .67 style.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Ron Olson

There are basically 2 different types of flow meters, one uses a small propane tank and the other is like a tiny air compressor. The air type is made by a guy named Boris Mazor and it's a lot more compact.
What you do is find your best needle setting and then hook up the line from the box to your fuel nipple on the carb then take a reading. When the temp or other factors change like different race sites, you adjust the carb to the setting that you found that works best for that engine. Say for instance that 3.1 is the perfect needle on your .12 then you can check any other engine that might be 4.2. Keep track of the ideal settings for each engine.
The propane ones used to be near $200.00, I'd have to see what Boris wants for his but those would be much safer to use.

OK, I just looked up Boris' thread on another site. They're $190.00 shipped. Yeah, a little steep for the average racer but if you race a fleet it may be worth it.
Here's his info:

Boris Mazor
4583 S. Janice Circle
Memphis. TN 38122
(901) 682-7436
[email protected]

Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 AM
advanced builder

Thanks again Ron, I will need to save up some $$ I have 3 races left this season.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 AM
advanced builder

I ran my .21 hull last evening. I did switch over to a .21 CMB engine. I was very happy with the speed. The needle setting were off as I used the same carb in my .21 NR. Not much be some. She dialed in NICE. I must be learning.With Joe's help I will finish the season with the CMB .That same engine didn't like my .21 lighting cat. All it did was go 1/2 lap and stall. WHY?
Joe ran his gas rigger ,that may be my next build. He cut a few inches off the boom tubes ,the hull loved it. I do love running riggers. My .67 home built rigger is ready!! I tried a Zippkit .21 turn fin. the hull didn't like it. I'm back with the Insane turnfin. I'm thinking a .45 short kit rigger and adding a .67 engine. [>:]
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Ron Olson

CMB's love to rev and seem to be better suited to light outriggers where they're right at home.
My gas 'rigger got some more water time this past weekend and never pulled the .12 out of the trailer as I'm busting my butt trying to get the big boats ready for the Gas Nat's. The stuffing tube of all things broke in that boat so I spent Saturday night replacing that, what a joy it was! < Note the sarcasm there.
I doubt if my .21 will get wet again this year. When you work 6 and 7 day weeks it doesn't leave much time to play.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

That just means you need to sleep at the pond and fire up a boat at dawn. That will give you lots a time to test and if the boat breaks, you take it home and fix it before going to work, that is unless you had your shift changed
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Ron Olson

Yeah, working the 3-11 shift doesn't help even though there is a pond right next to where I work. This is one of 4 trailer lots in the background. It's kind of small for the gas boats but I've run my nitro burners there with no problem as it is sort of on the small side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17033.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1643309  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 AM
advanced builder

I ran more this year the ever before. I HAD a PT job ,not anymore. I love it. I took a crash course in RC boating this year. My driving has come along way. Not to speak of experience. You can't learn how to race reading a book. You gotta get out there. And my summer is NOT filled with reworking a smashed hull. Due to bad driving I just wish our summer were longer. Your pond looks like a nice ,lunch break run.
1/2 hr is kinda short. I worked the 3-11 shift ,i liked it kinda until 2:00
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Yeah, working the 3-11 shift doesn't help even though there is a pond right next to where I work. This is one of 4 trailer lots in the background. It's kind of small for the gas boats but I've run my nitro burners there with no problem as it is sort of on the small side.
Hi Ron,

Do you have an address for that pond? I'd like to see a Google Earth view just to compare...

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.