Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .21 Zippkit ready to go

Good point TCHedOff , Yes Al Hobbs sells the .21AA . I seen his price list. but i never seen the insides of one of his engines.(or run) I have the 35t21 kinda spoiled. What about the NR long stroke ? any good ? OPS is back I see , CMB nobody talks about them any more , why? We still have Picco I think
When you look inside a good engine, you'll see, quality. The highest price was the RB.21marine @ $699.95 t S&H to much 4 me. Azteck hobby from Italy has the NR FLASH also big $
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Erik Steinbring

Thanks for the input guys!

I emailed Glenn this afternoon. I am torn between the Top 21 long stroke and the 35 Plus. I will see what he has to say and go from there. Bottomline I want an above average boat from a engine standpoint and not break the bank. I do have somewhat of a budget, I have to keep things in check or the wife will throw a fit.

From what I have seen lately at the local club, those who have reliable equipment and can "finish" the race are in the top standings. There is only so much equipment can do, then it is up to driving ability. That alone will make or break you regardless how much you spend.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: Erik Steinbring

Thanks for the input guys!

I emailed Glenn this afternoon. I am torn between the Top 21 long stroke and the 35 Plus. I will see what he has to say and go from there. Bottomline I want an above average boat from a engine standpoint and not break the bank. I do have somewhat of a budget, I have to keep things in check or the wife will throw a fit.

From what I have seen lately at the local club, those who have reliable equipment and can ''finish'' the race are in the top standings. There is only so much equipment can do, then it is up to driving ability. That alone will make or break you regardless how much you spend.
Hey Erik, I haven't seen am email from you yet. Here are the motors I have and the prices:

- 5 port $215 (great motors. There is no better bang for the buck!)
- 7 port $265
- T21M $340 (this is the one I would recommend for max performance!)
- 35Plus $375 (this one would be good with the sleeve lowered some)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Glenn
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

My 2 cents on .21 engines.... the 35+ ISNT worth the extra money when compared to the NR. I say this because a guy I spend my time testing with has one, and this is his feeling, and he's posted this before.
However there is 1 more option.... Al Hobbs has the AA .21 engines (custom made for him by Rossi) which has some cool features, including front exhaust (so you dont have to use a 180* pipe.... instead its a straight shot out the back). It is more than the NR but may be worth the extra.
I'm building a JAE .21, and putting a NR in it.... because I already have the engine($$).... otherwise, personally, I'd be getting the .21 AA.
TCHedOff, the AA 21 uses a 180* header just like the Nova's...Al is planning to have the front exhaust version sometime in the future.

Glenn
Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 PM
advanced builder

I am ready to run my NR 35t21 zip with a video ,I am a little nervy after running the .12 NR zip , My experience is with the old Dumas Hawk , well thees riggers are FAST I hope I don't crash & burn , the pond is big enough, My driving is in need of driving time. I do like to go fast though. The racing season is here , let's see who is in the winners circle . Its all fun & business . Maybe the K&B .21 will make a comeback LOL Glenn, my .12 NR is far & away the hottest little nitro eater I have seen. I love the .12 zip CK back soon
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM
advanced builder

Been to the pond. with no luck my .21NR Zippkit. She is up & running great until I launch. She dies out [rich or lean ], 12 or so launches. Going to put another pipe & a smaller prop. Will go from there. My fishing pole is getting a workout. My camera man fell a sleep LOL I got more white hair. The geese played around
Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 PM
misshydro

sounds like to me your still lean on your motor.. I'm hoping to build this.21 nexted after my .12 is finished..
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Erik Steinbring

It was a good day! I started building the tub and ordered a motor from Glenn. This kit seems to be going together really smooth, all the pieces are spot on and the instruction manual is well written.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 AM
advanced builder

Just another way of keeping your hull straight, I added a few phone books for weight , while drying
http://tinypic.com/m/9toc9x/3
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM
advanced builder

the weight of my hull, has been reduced by 86.6 grams total the weight of the pipes are left to right 72.8g, Nova Rossi 59.1g, Russin K pipe,119.2g, cooper 61.7 g I have the Cooper pipe on now
my battery Old 75.4 g new 46.2 ghere is my latest setup,
Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Erik Steinbring

Thanks for the pictures. Good looking rig!

I had some extra aluminum 3"x3" angle laying around that was used for our hurricane shutter system. I squared them up and screwed them to a leveled work table. So far (keeping my fingers crossed it remains that way) everything is dead nuts on.

I have the tub completed to the point where the corner stock is to be glued in. My company manufactures epoxy adhesives and we make a few pastes so I will be making fillets with that rather than use the balsa. It will come out stronger and slightly lighter. I too will be running the Cooper SS pipe. It should be interesting to see what the final weight of the vessel is. I almost don't want to put any color/paint on it just clear epoxy it and go. However some color would make it easier to see. I am starting to get excited!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
advanced builder

Eric, balsa is lighter than epoxy resin. I have a second set of sponsons. built not sealed. The first set is like you see red, next one will be clear. I will be posting the weight of each. pigment is heavy. Think light on your hull & you'll be OK, My pipe mount can be made lighter/ redone.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Erik Steinbring

The fillets I created are 1/3 the size of that of balsa. I doubt I added any weight at all. However, structurally I added more integrity. Once cured this material has a shear strength of 3500 psi between blasted steel. Yes a bit over kill academically for this application but with its non sag vasoline consistency its easy to work with.

I am at a standstill for now on the tub until I get my motor, and I can't start the sponsons until I get the missing plates. So things just came to a screeching hault!

I am curious as to the weight difference of your sponsons. I am not going to go through the seal, sand, prime, paint and then clear coat. I was thinking more a long the lines of adding a tint to my epoxy clear coat to get my coloring. It doesn't take much to tint the material. It will be both my prime and top coat.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 PM
advanced builder

You'll be fine, When I Finnish I razor blade all of my outer skin,sand 220 dry 1 coat of epoxy clear,let dry, razor blade once more, 220 wet, epoxy coat , blade soft, once more, 600wet ,steelwool can do once more if unsure of saturation of epoxy clear-coat
PS razor blade is held @90 deg and scrape off fuzz of the wood, play on a piece of scrape wood to get the hang of it . less & less scraping as u finish a coat of epoxy ,don't scrape off what you just painted.No wood grain showing when done.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Erik Steinbring

I learned a trick from an old time bowyer (bow builder/archery) that really yields good results, just a slightly different approach. Finish sand and scrape everything to the point you are thinking about applying your first coat. Use water as your first coat......wipe the wood down with a sopping wet towel and raise the grain. Let it dry and then scrape and finish sand again. Now proceed in applying your finish. I found his method cuts down on coats, thickness and the end result is night and day. Give it a shot next time.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 PM
advanced builder

I like your old time trick,Eric, now I will give it a try,The last & forgotten seal ideal was, hair spray before you seal with epoxy, Never tried that one, though Was used to keep the epoxy from penetrating the wood grain.[:-] I want my epoxy to penetrate.
OK lets talk about fuel remote needles, here are 2 different needles, one has a bend int he sharp needle. Is it meant to be that way ? the other is the one I am using now. It has a flat end ,no-point. Good /bad? any info on them? I am not sure where I got them from.It may be part of my launch problems
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Erik Steinbring

I am not an engine guru, but I would venture to say a bent needle is not a good thing. I think that the needle wouldn't seat well and flow would not be even or restricted. The blunt needle got me there. I would speculate that fine tuning would be a bear.

You said that the motor runs great but dies as soon as you launch or put a load on it? I assume that you do a trial tune with the boat in a cradle in shallow water, running it up under a load to get things in the ballpark before it maiden launch. So this next idea is going to sound silly, but have you played with or swapped out the glow plug yet? I have seen this happen with planes on more than one occasion. Just a possible snake in the grass.

Don't know if any of that helps or not. Hopefully, someone has an answer for you!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Erik Steinbring

double post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:22 AM
amax

I would have to agree with Eric on the needels,,,Toss the bent needle and get a new one and use it, I believe the Blunt Needle is for Larger Engines that Need a Higher Volume of Fuel.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM
advanced builder

Thanks guys , will do, I was careful not to break the needle , she bent back straight, all is good, The weight ,its lighter that the one I was using. I am on my way now, I hope.
38 degrees & wind no boating today, some snow too ,LOL
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
advanced builder

It's not my rigger just my Dumas V-hull with a .21OPS , Cooper tuning pipe My field box battery went down ,that the only video , my launch buddy needs some work, he tossed in my .12 zippkit rigger in upside down. The prop was a large one ,need to down size ,she'll hook up then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XegdxvZspWE
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Erik Steinbring

Cool thanks for the video!!!

I got my sponson plates in so I will start building again tomorrow night. I sealed the inside of the tub this afternoon........I still have to glue the top and nose on to complete the tub construction. I am waiting for the motor to arrive so I can mount it and then bend the shaft tube and get everything installed before I glue the top on. I just saw it was easier to seal everything before gluing the top on.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM
advanced builder

Eric, Don't be in a hurry to close her up. I liked to set my linkage ,drill my waterproof pushrod seals. You can do it later, I guess . I'm using 2 different water-seals. Areomarine has some good ones but ,you need a fitting to help .CK in the radio section .$2.95 for one + the seals I am useing one of the rubber seal from Frank @ promish hobby on Ebay they have a inside lip
http://redlinemotors.us/#
Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Erik Steinbring

Thanks for the reminder! I was thinking along those lines, had a couple flashbacks from rigging tunnel hulls. That extra space is really nice and your not working in a hole. I have the sponsons each about half built. Hope to finish them up this evening. It is going together really smooth and easy. I should have everything ready to be put together by the time the motor arrives. The pipe bending looks like fun! I will take my time with that. I am going to anneal and pack it full of sand before bending it, that way it can't crimp on me.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Erik Steinbring

This weekend was productive.............I got the shaft installed, motor mounted, strut and rudder in place. I am waiting for a Tower order to arrive so I can continue rigging. Once I get everything positioned I'll have to take everything out, glue the top on and finish the tub.

The sponsons are built and painted............my 5 year old son talked me into it painting them. He wanted a red boat so I compromised and said only the sponsons. They turned out, pretty darn good and boy do they they glow when the sun hits that metallic red paint. So they are now ready for a 1500 grit wet dry sanding and then the final clear epoxy coating.

Do you any of you put your decals on before the final coat to seal them under the finish?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.