Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Erik Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .21 Zippkit ready to go

Double post
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
amax

I've done it with Base\Clear Paint but not epoxy, there are a number of brands that produce Adhesion Promoter for paint products, maybe you can find something of that nature for your epoxy.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
advanced builder

Yes , you can clear coat decals with Klasscote clear epoxy. I can say for that brand. Never used anything else. Some decals are thinner than others. I didn't add any clear coat over mine. The one on the side's is going to come off,sometime. The lettering on my .12 has a spot coming loose. It's thicker than the JAE decal. No KELP'S .12 coming loose. Early in the season ,will lose some lettering I'm sure.
Here is what I have gotten done, new remote needle , OPS pipe, pipe mount redone ,downsized my hull 3 oz's
Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Erik Steinbring

What's your overall weight right now? Just curious. Should be interesting to see where I am at once I get everything bolted on and rigged.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Erik Steinbring

Did you get your problem resolved? How does it run under a load?

I was looking at building a water kit for the initial break in. I figure I will run about three tanks before I toss it in the water and run it for a bit. However I am not completely sure how much water pressure on the inline I should give it.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
advanced builder

I read 3.5 lbs ,no fuel on my scales ,just regular every day in bathroom scale. I am ready with 3 hulls. My camera man & launch man need some practice,me too. I have my Garmin 4 trax ready. Soon I hope. I have some friends around but not into RC boating ,yet. My 2 sons have little interest. Will post some pics I can launch 2 of them by myself . If I have to. the .21 rigger I'm not sure if I could launch. The .12 zip rigger is OK to launch
Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is finally getting together. The tub is done with hardware hung and paint slapped on it, finished up the sponsons and one is in paint right now. I picked up some more parts at the Toledo show but found out that one servo in the JAE .12 took a dump already so I had to grab one that was going in the .21 and use that so I have to get another.
Next weekend is the record trials over in Flint. If Mark Sholund comes down I'll have to see if he's got a prop and then if Daivd Preusse also comes I'll see if he has any cowlings for my 'riggers and have him bring those along.
I'll get some shots on here once it's further along. I've still got the other .12 to finish then wait for the gas version to come out.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Erik Steinbring

I was thinking about extending the flange on the carb to block water instead of a cowl. Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM
advanced builder

A water blocking carb, now that's engineering. Ron, I was wondering how your hulls are coming along. you've been a building. I got my camera man back from a weekend fishing trip. I am going to the pond today, looking for a few good runs.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 AM
amax

You might be better off with more of a cowl set up, putting somthing directly in front of the carb can create a Negeitive Pressure Area right behinde it.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
advanced builder

No pics , My .12 zip throttle servo,died at the start of my first run. The 21 Zip did RUN, & Moved fast. The rudder was off a few degrees Did a few circles, shut it down to fix my rudder. Going that fast ,man She moves. My launch buddy did a 180 upside down launch , Drain everything. she didn't want to start, Then the RAIN came. I will try to shoot some video, soon Ck back later SHE IS FAST. I only had a 215 Prather prop, man I better get driving better Fast.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Take that 215 and try it on the .12, it'll turn it with no trouble. On an old .12 'rigger that I had, the first run on it was with a 215 and that was on a tired Picco/NR .12.
I got an e-mail from Mark Sholund tonight. He's backlogged 3 weeks right now with prop work so I'm either going to have to order a stock prop or see what I've got in the box of props. Stupid me should have ordered one during the winter!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
advanced builder

Ron, He send some out to Chris Woods try that way.
Mark, did 6 props for me over the winter. 3 for the .12 & 3 for the .21 I am ready Ron. WINTER is back snow showers 37 degrees. LOL I have been having a Idle issue, zoom .21 carb. I put in a Speedmater carb. will play today with that. That zoom carb, looking inside, never finished, very sharp corners, a step down taper. It is NOW alot smother. I think Charles missed buffing one out.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Erik Steinbring

Laugh as you may about the water deflecting carb..................I was thinking Dubro exhaust deflector with a screen turned for turned forward for some Ram air affect. It should be a neat experiment to say the least. If the screen is set at 90 degrees the water splash issue from other boats should be far less. With my thinking is negative air pressure isn't an issue with this setup.

My sponsons are curing right now ............................... I'll wait a few days and wet dry with 1500 grit and then wax polish............ They look awesome!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
advanced builder

Erik, we gotta see this reworked carb neg or pos air flow. I AM NOT LAUGHING . just a little giggle.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
amax

I'm not laughing Eric, it sounds like your doing something Different than what I had Pictured in my head when I read the post. I have seen people use the rubber exhaust deflectors to keep water out of the carb in Hydro's, I haven't asked if they notice a performance gain or loss from it, but I do recall it was stated they had no more problems with water splashing off the flywheel and choking it down.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 PM
advanced builder

What about a wing foil , like you see on a sprint car or midget car ,right over the carb/engine.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Erik Steinbring

I don't see why a wing foil wouldn't work.....................A butchered plastic soda bottle would work fine..........its light weight and pre-formed. It would deflect the water from hitting the carb in case you get caught in a wake or rooster tail of another boat. As we know not getting swamped and finishing are 75% of the race. Or at least down here it is. The faster the better as long as your ahead of the pack.

So here is where I am coming from.............our conditions in FL are definitely different than those up north. Temperature and RH are huge factors in performance at least from a drag racing perspective. Since we are looking at speed...................I believe there is a direct translation.

So here is my logic...................

When I worked at Gainesville Raceway (drag strip) during college, we took notice what would effect performance. I worked everything from tech to the starting line.....it was an awesome job!!!!

My best friend owned a 1968 Don Long front engine dragster powered with a 355 Chevy naturally asperated. We ran the local 1/4 mile and traveled all over for the quick 1/8 mile races. If it was a hot day, we watched the crowd and looked for an extremely over weight individual. If they were huffing and puffing we removed the air filter to carb. for more air flow. We had a log book registering what we did..............throttle stop settings, tire pressure, etc........... Since we had enough information and I was half way decent in mathematics I could dial us in pretty good.

Today for example it was 86 degrees and the RH was 70% I believe Ram air could be very beneficial in these conditions. As a plus with a 90 degree bend and a screen I believe water intake would be minimized due to small portal.

However this is all speculation............. I could be completely way off base...............

At least we knew in a car for every 100# you lost you gained a tenth of a second..............I have no clue what it is here.

I actually am sort of excited as my Spektrum 3S has the telemetry built in...........however on the other hand I just want to just go have a good time. So for now I am not going to set that up. I just want make some water fly for a while.............................

However smokin some folks from the start with a properly set up rig would be awesome!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM
andybenton

why doesnt one of these extremly crafty individuals make up a nice cowl that covers the carb with alot of head room and some ports front and rear to allow fresh airflow.

also if you follow th .12 rigger thread, the cowls look really good on these boats.

kinda gives it a different look.

just an idea

Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Erik Steinbring

Supposedly the cowls are in the works and will be available shortly. That is what I was told in Toledo.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
andybenton

awsome. that to me would be the most simple solution to the problem.

KISS keep it simple stupid lol.

plus i really dig those cowls on the riggers
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
advanced builder

We do on the other site IW you got wood to carbon fiber & in between . Eric I have spent most of last-night , reworking my engine all machine marks are gone. smooth & shines
Oh YA we don't talk about engine mods on this site . Most of the stuff is still in books & the Buggy guys share more engine mod info
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
andybenton

the most exstensive engine modding ive ever read about on here is mainly done to carbs, and port matching your headers.

ive got a pro .15 ported and polished, (crank, sleeve, con rod is knife edged, case is port matched to the port height on the sleeve. and portmatched header) 

it started really easy untill the front bearings went out.

a real screaming meemee in the stampede
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
advanced builder

OK men I have solved my .21 Nova Rossi engine idling problems. bench starts fine, idels fine. M Zoom carb was never buffed out. When I pulled the carb , my little finger inside , sharp & coarse. It's ready to put back in but I want to play. I have the Speedmaster carb on now. I am ready
Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
mtruex

the zoom carb is supposed to be like that,its part of the design, and it is a great carb (do not change it) ......your engine will not idle any better with the speedmaster carb, they have no low speed needles in them, they are not meant to idle...if it will idle with either carb i can promise it will be too lean when it hits the water...you will have to blip the throttle a little when out of the water to keep it running...

what exactly have you done to the engine? 35plus runs real good with a few things done to it, not sure what machine marks you took out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.