Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

hydro lock question?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

hydro lock question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hydro lock question?

I have seen ontuteral vids some mention of fliping a high rpm motor and having
it hydro lock and bending the con rod .I have worried about this, I wonder if using a filter on the
carb would slow the ingestion of water? Any one had any experience along these lines.?
Would the enertia of the fly wheel contribute to this?
THANKS

Having this much fun must be illiegal

Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
amax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hydro lock question?

Normally the engine dies before it bends a rod when the boat is Flipped or Dunked. Where the Most Damage is done from Hydrolocking is Tryin to Start The Engine After dunking it,, And Not Loosening the Glow Plug for compression release,, or even better remove it and flush the water out. I've seen guys literally rip engines out of the hull with the first yank tryin to start a hydrolocked engine improperly. I have Dunked Both Nitro and Gas Engines Many Many Times ( If Your Pushin em to there Limits,,,It WILL Happen) and NEVER(knock on wood) Bent a Rod or Broke Anything,,For That Reason,,LOL. The Best thing to do if you dunk your boat Is Pull the plug and put a paper towel over it, then give the starter a few turns\yanks, turn boat upside down and Turn\Yank the starter again a few times, then put a little after run oil in it. Dry the Plug, install it but leave it loose, give the starter a few easy turn\yanks and clean up any water squirting out around the plug, Prim the carb almost to the point of flooding the engine to Lube the engine and pull the remaining moisture out. Keep turning the engine over until engine is turning over smoothly, No Hydrolocking, Ignite the glow plug, and start the engine with the glow plug a 1\2 turn out or so from tight, Keep the paper towel handy to clean excess fuel and water squirting around the glow plug, when the engine sounds like it normally does when running on the stand, tighten the glow plug and toss the boat back On The Pond....