Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

go .18 tuned pipe recomendations?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

go .18 tuned pipe recomendations?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go .18 tuned pipe recomendations?

hey all.

im getting a go .18 rear exhaust and im looking for a decent tuned pipe.

ive looked at the macs series and like them, scince they have lo nitro and high nitro.

i plan on running relitivly low nitro for fun, in the neighborhood of 30-40 percent

so what are my other options for tuned pipes?
thanks
andy
Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
advanced builder

Default RE: go .18 tuned pipe recomendations?

HERE IS ONE http://www.mecoa.com/acc/pipes/marinepipe.htm ONE MORE http://www.cmdracing.com/updated/tuned_pipes.htm I got my .12 texan pipe from Glenn http://novarossi.us/ this is a great pipe Glenn makes himself
Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 PM
toyotatruckin

For the most part I run macs stuff (the muffled pipes they sell are very long) to add to the above list cooper pipes http://www.cooperpipes.com/
CMDI has nice stuff I wont say how many weeks nore how many excuses I got before I canceled my last order with them[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

For the most part I run macs stuff (the muffled pipes they sell are very long) to add to the above list cooper pipes http://www.cooperpipes.com/
CMDI has nice stuff I wont say how many weeks nore how many excuses I got before I canceled my last order with them[sm=50_50.gif]
I tried to get one of them AB pipes,also ended up with a Russian K pipe from All Hobbs. Just showing some of the sites out there. What about them Salisbury pipes ,made out of carbon fiber? Are they still around, also any good ? You can't beat a Cooper pipe.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
toyotatruckin

yeah here is the link for you on the CF pipes, read good things and talked to guys running them with good results but never had one personally
http://www.ozspechobbies.com/tuned_pipes.html
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM
andybenton

those cf pipes might be good. worth a try maybe. still undecided
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
andybenton

mac or the mecoa pipes have my vote so far. the cf pipes dont look like they will fit under my hatch very well, and i didnt see anything on cooper for my size engine. most of it was .21 and up...

what exactly designates wether your running hi nitro or low nitro?

like 50% and above is high and anything lower is low?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM
toyotatruckin

Ive had both pipes side by side I really dont think you would ever see a difference in performance Oh I dont think your gonna be able to stuff any of those under the cowl (especially the cooper)of the mono, youll have to run it like I did, I have a smaller china pipe here that I tried to stuff under the cowl at first but it was super tight, POSSIBLY and no guarantee a macs 2.5 would fit under it and Ive run a 2.5 pipe on a many 18 CVRMs with good results again its gonna be super close to everything and heat may be a problem that close to things

Ill add its not so much length in the mono its the how big around to worry about and I could have gotten it a slight bit lower in the hull if I would have trimmed the transom so it would lay down more BUT that weakens things as in the top section of the deck for one
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
andybenton

i was afraid i was going to have this problem.

ill have to get it and mock some stuff up, maybe i can change header angle and get the pipe under the cowl.

maybe not, its hard to say for now.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
toyotatruckin

here maybe this will help show what kind of room your going to be working with, smaller hulls are harder than the larger ones to build not saying it cant be done with another pipe but the macs it touching the bottom of the hull tight on the top lip and tight on the rail heat would be hard on the hull for sure next is thats cutting into precious radio box space and when you exit the transom you must think how its going to effect hardware placement

Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
andybenton

i was actualy thinking of running the pipe up at an angle kinda like yours, but maybe less of one. and exiting out of the cowl.

im still not sure im going to get it in there.

i know alot of the theory of tuned pipe is in diameter, and length, i was hoping that i would find a skinnier one. that would simplify things alot.

what is that "china pipe"?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
toyotatruckin

china pipe is just that-Chinese lol ,the 2.5 macs is a thinner diameter not sure how it would run on the go but I ran 8.5" on the cvrm give or take a little in my old wildthing mono and it would keep up with the 21's (as long as the water wasnt to rough and no left correction at full speed lol)
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 PM
andybenton

well i could allways run the stock traxxas exhaust ive got laying around haha, just kidding.

allthough removing the baffles and adding the 7mm outputs really really really helped the pro .15 out alot.

im trying so hard to get away from traxxas stuff not that its bad, they just botch preformance numbers.

good rtr stuff tho
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
andybenton

oh forgot.

any word on fabing up a rudder for that hull?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 PM
toyotatruckin

Ive got the bracket and hinge material and SOMEPLACE I have the blade blanks will check when I get home tomorrow afternoon
Old 04-17-2010, 09:10 AM
advanced builder

Andy , Cooper does make a .12-.15 pipe , look in the price list, 1.10 " @ the widest point
Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 PM
andybenton

awsome will check it out again. just stuck my hand in the prop of my first plain. lol learned my lesson
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 AM
toyotatruckin

let me know if your going to want a rudder through PM (RCU rules to follow) Ive got everything here
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
andybenton

well ive pretty much decided that a mac pipe is my best bet, now if i can just figure out what dictates whether i need a high nitro pipe for 30-40% nitro or if i need a low nitro pipe
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
amax

I have never purchased or seen a Low Nitro Pipe Up Close, but I believe the differance is the Stinger(Outlet) Diameter, Low Nitro Pipe is Smaller. I have run the High Nitro Pipe on on everything from 30% to 65% Nitro Fuel and it works fine on all.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
andybenton

ok, i think i will be fine especially if i tune accordingly and cut the pipe to the right length.

still not sure which one i want, but i think it wont be any big deal to find one and pick it out when the time comes.

any idea on length from glow plug to center line (bulge) of the pipe? or at least a good starting area?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Glenn Quarles

Andy, sorry I have not had a chance to get back with you...been out of town and crazy busy!

I'm sorry, but I just don't have the time to build any custom pipes right now. Another good pipe for the 18 motors that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is the Supertiger Q-18. I designed this pipe for the Miss Vegas and it seems to work pretty good on most 15 - 18 engines...and it is priced right!

Glenn

Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
andybenton

i understand man, sometimes its hard to find work, and sometimes you cant seem to find the time to do anything other than work.
i will check out that pipe, if its priced right enough i may pick one up and test it out before i commit to one or the other.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 AM
amax

With a Custom Built boat and Set Up, it's Imposible to give you an exact #. A Heavier boat will need the pipe longer for Torque and a Lighter boat can run it shorter to get up in the Higher RPM Range, Prop is also another Facture to deal with.
Using the MACS 3.5 HN Pipe Measure from the Stinger Forward 8 5\8" to 8 3\4" and cut it off there. You basicly want the inlet of the pipe to be Just Big Enough to slide Over the Header, So you can adjust the length without pulling everything apart and cutting Everytime or when you make changes to the set up like changing to a differant prop. When you get to the point the pipe is slid over a 1\2"to 3\4"in up the header to get the RPM's you want, trim 1\4" off the header and Test Some More.
The Main thing to remember when Dailing in a New Custom Set Up is Don't Get in a Hurry,,,Change 1 Thing at a time and run it, If you make multipule changes each time it's A Lot Harder to tell What Works and What Don't.

Running the Rear Exhaust Go .18 in Miss A, with a Custom Head, Moded Carb, 180* Header(uncut at this point), 60% nitro, 437\3 Prop, I have the 3.5 HN pipe cut at 8.5"in, and slid up the header about 5\8"in, and running right around 45mph.
I would also suggest you ancore your exhaust system firmly so the pipe Can't Slide back when your running.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
andybenton

ok thanks again for the advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.