Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

lets talk fuel!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

lets talk fuel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets talk fuel!!!

hey all,

last night i sat down and looked at all of my fuel, and none of them say anything about oil content, whether they are synthetic oils, castor oils, or a blend of oils.

so i figured i would start a thread on what fuel has what kind of oils, and what percentage oils they have.

also i figured discussing what type of oil is preferable for boats, and what oil content is best for boats would be helpful aswell.

im no fuel expert, but with minimal knowledge i would say that atleast 18-20 percent oil would be best for the type of running boats endure,

also i would figure that castorl oil would be the better oil, but i could be wrong.

so lets hear it lol. whats the word on fuel?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Dan S

Default RE: lets talk fuel!!!

well Andy, that's like opening a can of worm.

reason I say this is because we are going to get a lot of opinions, some prefer only castor oil others only synthetic and some a mix of both.
there is a good number of good fuel manufacturer out there and there are some that make some pretty good home brew.

I have tried 2 or 3 of them but have settled on one, for me and a fair number of people on my side of the pond have chosen WildCat. We run the Promix blend 35% and 50%, both have 18% oil content and 95% of it is synthetic and the other 5% is degummed racing castor.
It runs great, its smells great and its consistent and I run it in all my nitro engines, planes, boats, and wheeled.
they wright the content of nitro and oil on all there promix and other blends and if a person wants more details as to exactly what they use for nitro, methanol and oil, all they need to do is go on their web site and all the info is there.
No secrets, no hiding it from the customers.
so I can say that I like 18% and a mix of both oils.

Dan.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
andybenton

i have used wildcat fuels in the past.

infact ive got a gallon of break in fuel that is wildcat, but i cant get it locally any more.
i need to go out and see what is available to me.

i was hoping to get some peoples opinoins on different fuels, different oils.

i know that its just like an engine debate. and i didnt want it to turn into a contest.

more or less looking for specs.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
joseywales

We been using traxxas 33% racing fuel. Been buying in quarts. We use SIG blending oil to add to our traxxas fuel since there low oil content like 12% oil. Was told by an old boat racer to add 1oz to one quart of fuel. Now Rod Geraghty told me not to add it because they should have enought oil. Because kids run the living snots out of those cars and trucks motors. They run more hotter then marine engines do. Boats need to have 15-18% oil in fuels. But like to be on the safe side.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
andybenton

yeah, i like traxxas top fuel, and its available around here, but ive read about alot of people who dont like it.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
joseywales

we didn't have proublems with it. It's bad when local hobbyshops around here don't carry boats fuels only car/truck and heli fuels. Read on some post guys are running heli fuels to because of the high oil content. Dang we live by a lake and have R/C boat races here every year plus the big boat race for real boat in Aug.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 PM
andybenton

yeah ive read them. my lhs mainly carries plane fuel, 15%nitro and lower.

and traxxas fuel. thats it any more. it is pretty pathetic
Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
joseywales

We have to travel 54 miles to fortwayne IN to phils hobbyshop to buy boat fuels.! Got a quart of ODonalds fuel to try out.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
andybenton

lol it never occured to me how close you and misshydro are to here.

im about 1 hour south of louisville, 4 hours away from cincinati
Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
joseywales

We're going to Madison this year to the Unlimted races in july. We know Steve David driver of Oberto. Going to have him sign two boats for us. Going to have him sign my 1/8 gas Oberto and her mod 1/12 oberto. will be trying differents boat fuels too.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
andybenton

ive been looking for other people in my area to boat with. but as of right now

its just me, my father in law. and my brother in law.

my brother inlaws boat is in the middle of restoration,

and my father inlaws boat is a 55 dollar ebay electric special.

but back to fuel.

fuel around here is rediculous. like 46 bucks a gallon. so im looking for cheaper places/ and a decent brand
Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
joseywales

A gallon of traxxas 33% fuel is 30.00 .. And ODonalds 40% is 35.00.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:24 PM
JWMods

O'Donnells here, 30% to 65%
Old 05-02-2010, 01:55 AM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You think thats high,
Traxxas 20% only fuel here,  $ 21  a Quart
Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 AM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You think thats high,
Traxxas 20% only fuel here,  $ 21  a Quart
Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 AM
racer45

i like towers boat fuel 30% nitro 18% oil and12bucks a quart reg price ,cheaper on sale , its good fuel too.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 AM
joseywales

WOW you guys are getting charged to much for quarts!!! A quart of traxxas fuel is 10.00 and a quart of ODonald's 40% is 14.00.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM
amax

I used Sidewinder Pro Blend in the past until Prices went nuts. Now I mix my own fuel using VPRacing M1 Methanol and Nitro. During Break in I use 16% Klotz Benol no synthetic for break in. After Break In I run 12% oil using Klotz Super Techniplate which is a Syn. Castor Blend of 80\20 I believe off the top of my head, OR I use Zenoah Syn. and Benol, 50\50 just after break in tanks are done then 75\25 after that.
Air Plane and Heli engines are Lower Performance, Low Compression, Long life and Dependable Engines So they Don't Die in The Air and they run around 50% throttle most the time. These fuels tend to have More Additives to prevent rust or corrosion, smell, eye burning in the pits, etc... If your just Pond Hopping with your buddy's It's Fine,,,, Until one of Your buddy's uses something better and Passes You. Marine and Buggy Engines are Higher Performance and Higher Revving Engines. At high RPM's the fuel Doesn't stay in the Combustion Chamber as Long and Additives Don't Burn Completely, which can leave Deposits in your engine causing Performance Loss, Pre Ignition, and Premature Failure. Additives and High Oil Content also Slow Fuel Burn time down, at High RPM's slow burn is Not Good you want to burn As Much of the fuel in the combustion chamber as possible,, Before it hits the exhaust. If your using a High Oil & Additive fuel you will Never reach the Performance Levels I Do. BUT like Every Other engine on the planet,,, When You push performance levels to there Max, Expected Engine Life Shortens, And More Stuff Breaks!! This is Nitromethane, your not driving your Honda Civic, in ANY Other Sport Using Nitromethane as a Fuel,, Engine Life IS NOT the Main concern,, Performance IS.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
andybenton

i would mix my own fuel, but im not sure im up to it at this point lol
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

If you want to drive to Georgetown, In (7 mi west of Louisville off I-64) to pick it up, I've got 2 gallons of 45% Wildcat (castor/Klotz blend) for $30/gal? $60 total.
I bought some extra this spring so I can spare a couple gallons if it'll help you out.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
andybenton

well tomorrow when the hobbyshops are open im going to go out and talk to the owners and see what they can order for me.
i havent checked the louisville hobbyshops yet, they might have it cheaper than the one down here. its like almost 45 miles round trip, but weve only got one lhs down here.

this one ive got locally has allways been higher. i recently bent a shaft in my blade cx2, and went up there to get one, he wanted 19.99 for one shaft.
so i called the two that are in louisville, and one had it for 12.00 and the other for 9.00.

the only thing my lhs sells for a resonable price is traxxas models.    not even the parts. just the whole rtr kits are priced similarly to everywhere else.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
metaldriver

Andy try scale repro in Louisville they have good prices and a discount if you are a member of a club .
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
andybenton

no kidding. ive been there. but not recently
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM
idocdave09
My Feedback: (1)

I have been thinking about a small nitro boat (pull start) and after reading this post
I think that $3.00 a gal. and 6oz. of oil is great. My son will have to do with his electric
boat while I run my gas boat.
But I will still keep reading this post and all of the others in this section because of
my instrest in the hobby please keep this and all posts alive.
Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 05:20 PM
joseywales

idocdave09 you don't want nitro with 6%oil in it. Boats need 15-18% oil in nitro. Every since 911 and terrorist getting idea's using our fuel's for prossible meterial's to use in there bomb making.[:@] That's why you see company's stop making 65% nitro or it's hard to get. I think There is a big terrorist tax on nitro fuel's?. Price's has jumped.[:@] 08 a quart of traxxas was 7.65 aquart. Prices started to jump the tail end of 08 begging of 09.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.