Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Old Boat sitting around... Can you Help?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Old Boat sitting around... Can you Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
The Fallis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Boat sitting around... Can you Help?

So I've had this old boat sitting around my house for a looooong time now and figured it's about time it went to someone who will use it, or atleast appreciate it for what it is... incase you havn't guessed I'm not that person.
Anyways I have no information about the boat, can't find anything on the web related to it, and don't know what to ask for it. It'd be nice to be able to list it for sale with atleast the specs of it instead of "Well my grandpa gave it to me years back and as far as i know its never been used" (atleast judging from my grandfather...)
I've never tried to start it, or anything... just let it sit around and cleaned it up from time to time.

And yes i know it lookslike something was set on or dropped on the front cockpit cowl and had cracked th trim on the left and took a quarter sized piece out of the other. Was that way when i got it. too bad...

It's about 30-32" long
Has "Paige One" written on each side along with "Driver : Chuck Champagne" listed next to the cockpit
Simple gas engine with one elec. motor for the rudder and on for the throttle control.

Here's some pictures that i took because thats all i have on it...

Thanks for any info/ ideas you have about the boat,
-Rob-
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Scott Schneider

Default RE: Old Boat sitting around... Can you Help?

Not exactly sure ... but that may be whats known as the Northwind, a late 60's, early 1970's design.
Engine an early K&B 3.5 with butterfly exhaust throttle, short head taking shorty plugs.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Scott Schneider

Duplicate post removed ... oups
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Right time frame Scott, wrong boat. That's a Dumas Drag'n Fly 20. It's a kit boat that looks to me to have been built with Dumas hardware. That particular K&B was only available before K&B was sold the first time so it dates the build to pre 1990 if I remember right. I'll do some checking to see if I can find out any more on the engine. Here is a link to the boat's larger sister
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=389

no info is available on that engine through the MECOA website so parts are probably unobtainium[]
Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
R.J. West

A Dumas drag N' Fly 20 it is, and a very lucky find I'm jealous! They may be considered obsolete compared to model hydroplane technology today but back 30 years ago those were THE race boat to have....It still is today a fast N fun model to have and they have bit of a following among rc/boat enthusists...
Judging from the pics you posted it looks pretty clean and well built, almost ready to hit the water!
The first thing i would do is update the radio system to at least a Futaba 2pl am or for a few bucks more a Futaba 3pm Fm.
Second thing I'd is remove the driveshaft, clean it, lube it with some oil and before reinstalling it look into is the engine.
Without knowing its present condition and assuming it hasnt ran in years I would remove the glow plug up on top and squirt some wd-40 into the cylinder andthru the carb and see how well it turns over. if it feels smooth with no squeaking or roughness then your half way there. From seeing how clean the hull looks I would guess that the engine too was well cared for also, those k&b engines last a lifetime if cared for...If for whatever reasons you need new gaskets or replacement parts they are still alvaiable.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
toyotatruckin

Nice looking boat and agree on the make with the above
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Dan S

Fallis,
it does look like the engine and the boat was never ran.
the engine still looks brand new.
if you feel like you want to get into boats, I would keep it, but if selling is what you want to do, you have a few options.

you can put it up for sale in the BUY and SELL forum or you can put it up on Ebay, just give the details that the guy's gave you and you will be good to go.
I can't tell you about speed seen I never had the pleasure to see one run.
has for price, you won't make enough money to retire but I would not let it go for a hand full of peanuts, like it was mentioned before there are a fair amount of people that look for these particular boats.

Dan.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's some vintage stuff there! The old radio system is now illegal to run but the FCC would have to catch you and they've got bigger fish to fry.
The funny thing is as old that that powerplant is, you can still get parts for it today! The muffler and flange is the same one used the K&B 3.5 SS outboard. The venturi can be replaced with a regular carb then hook up the exhaust throttle so that it's left wide open.
The first impression to me was that it's a Dumas Drag 'n Fly too. I've got a buddy with a .60 version.
It appears to have Octura parts on the transom from the same era.
If you plan on getting it running, I'd replace the plastic prop with a metal one.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
The Fallis

Thanks alot for all the info guys, but sadly i don't plan on getting into the hobby right now. I have enough of those as it is ontop of a full time job and college year round... So I'd much rather let someone else enjoy it since i probably never will get around to it.

i understand it's not a piece of gold or a piece of trash either but any ideas what i should roughly list it for in the classifieds?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
mmarionz

beautiful boat!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

the fallis, email sent
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 PM
The Fallis

i"ve had three people e-mail me about "what i want" for this boat since I posted it but have no response to them. I'm not familiar with it at all, or even the hobby for that matter... Can anyone throw out a ballpark # so i can tell them a "reasonable" price for it? I understand that you dont have much info but either do I.
Thanks alot again guys... Dont think i could have found out much about it if it wasn't for this forum
Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Jerry Dunlap

I actually build the Dragn'Fli 20, 40, and 60. Ran a Veco 19 in the 20, a K&B 45 in the 40, and a Rossi 60 in the 60. I remember racing the 40 and 60 DragN'Flies at the 1969 IMPBA Internats in Santee(near San Diego). How's that for "Way Back In The Day?"

JD
Old 05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's hard to give an estimate of what it's worth as it could be an insult by being too low or someone might laugh if it was too high.

As a reminder from a former Mod in here, keep any discussion of any deals in PM's or out of the eyes of the current Mod's otherwise this thread could go into permanent hiding. I've had to toss quite a few myself in my time as some start off with just asking about what something is worth then turns into a for sale or trade thread.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Scott Schneider

It may be a dragon fly ... but still don't think it is
Either way, a damn oldie more of a conversation piece than a runner. Shelf queen comes to mind
Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

now be nice
If the engine still runs, run it. That being said, who ever ends up with it should take it easy as the boat's older than most of the people that frequent this place[X(]
Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 AM
misshydro

just dont let jetpack see that or he'll wet his pants.[X(] He loves those dragon flys boats. Told him my eagle loves dragon flys for snacks.lol...
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM
R.J. West

Yeah! Ol' jetpack would be like a kid in a candy store if he saw that Drag N fly II. He really likes those oldies and if he got hissticky fingers on it he'lslap in one of his shineyWebra engines too i bet. I like 'em also I still have a 40 size version hiding under the bed still unbuilt in the box.....Speedwise I bet its a 40mph something boat.....
I would suggest ebay if your looking to sell it....