Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Aeromarine cat 18

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Aeromarine cat 18

Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromarine cat 18

My Aeromarine cat is almost ready ,my pipe / header is giving me a little problem I have a wide header now as it is any ideals
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM
toyotatruckin

Default RE: Aeromarine cat 18

yeah, make a smaller radio box, IF your careful you can get that one out and use it later in something else they use what looks like bondo as an adhesive possibly bondo with resin added to make it a bit tougher, none the less it will come out with some persuasion.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 AM
advanced builder

I like smashing things ,myself. should of been in the demolitions business. OH you wanted me to save it !! sorry
Old 06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Aeromarine used some kind of white adhesive to hold the stuffing tube in place and may have used the same stuff to hold the box in. Hopefully somebody didn't go nuts gluing the box down. If you get get it out without using a half stick of TNT you could offset it to the right.
Check out some 1/8 scale buggie pipes. I've got some that aren't a 180 turn but do a quick bend off the motor then angle for a little ways before another bend.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Dreamin Hemi

They use straight Bondo to adhere everything to their hulls, not mixed with anything else.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
amax

You could just run it at an angle like it is. it don't have to run straight to work. When I run the rear exhaust engine in Miss A I have to do it, it works just fine. You can also use a piece of 1\2"in aluminum tubing for a Tail Pipe to get the exhaust out the back.
Like This.

I changed the hose clamp to a welded brkt. so I could use it to adjust pipe length, and Hold the pipe just Exactly where I wanted it and it Stays there.

You will most liklly be sliding that pipe forward some when dialing it in, which will give more room around radio box.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
advanced builder

I did get the box out,in one piece. Now a new radio box .What's the size on that box ,amax and also where to get one? Aeromarine has a few to choose from .The height on the old box is 1 3/4 " got lots to play with now size wise. The shaft tube is loose now .Have some Sig & fiberglass cloth , that motor mount angle seams steep to me. I never had a cat. rc cat That hull in a clearance second at Aeromarine. There is some damage, minimal. The price was right. Your hardware needs to be Aeromarine,holes are drilled & tread insert
Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 PM
toyotatruckin

If its a stock stuffing tube I would replace it and install one right, I know my "18"MM came with a 3/16 shaft which is to big for any .18 size engine, again body filler was used to install the tube (not my Idea of correct)..

Ron, Aeromarine didnt use their normal sealer like above its filler not sure if its straight or not, I didnt see what the short people across the big sea used as aeromarine dont do squat to the rtr hulls, thats why the glass work is crappy on them, NOW they do make some in-house mean machine hulls not sold as RTRs and the price reflects it (Ive had both and the quality is night and day different) I got my "rtr" version as its class legal the other MM hull is not
Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, I knew that. Offshore Electrics donated a MM .18 a couple of years ago for our Fun Run. I had it for a few weeks so I got to look it over. Remy did keep 2 molds at his place as he was making light lay-up versions for the FE crowd. What the "short people" used, I don't know but it wasn't Bondo, too white and they did a sloppy job using the stuff, nothing like what the boys at Aeromarine would do.

We had back maybe 4 years ago a few that redid their MM.18's, it should still be a few hundred pages back. Do a search on those threads for Mean Machine 18.
Check with www.funrcboats.com as they were selling some RTR MM .18's with OS .21's in them for some ideas.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM
amax

You can't get my radio box anywhere AB It's One of a kind,, All Plexiglass.[8D]
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: amax

You can't get my radio box anywhere AB It's One of a kind,, All Plexiglass.[8D]
Your right amax NICE I see how you hold that box down, tricky What about this material ,will it hold up to nitro http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=222&
Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
amax

I believe the Acrylic will work better than the Plexiglas will, Plexi don't like nitro much, it clouds it up and in the areas that get it a lot, it has started Eating the plexi.
The mounting system if you look close is incorporated with the Servo Brkt. The box barely touches the bottom of the boat, the servo brkt. is actually the strength, it's locked down to the boat and holds the box around it. Using wood would have been much easier, but not quiet as cool looking...

What's Stopping you from reusing the stock box and just moving it over a little? Looks?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 AM
advanced builder

Every one has that setup. I like being a little different. I have some plexglass , just got to many things to do now. I like the removal able radio box ideal .
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53 AM
amax

I wouldn't use the Plexiglas, try the Acrylic Sheeting or wood. The Plexi don't hold up well when exposed to Nitro Fuel. Nitro Melts it and make it Brittle and crack. I had to go over the outside of the box with epoxy to hold it together for a little while longer, I just haven't spent the time to make a new one YET.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 PM
advanced builder

I have gotten all the bugs out,. I hope. Every time I bring it to the lake no go. I have ordered a new Dog drive,too big for a 3 blade, A amax 3 blade reworked. Will post some views when I get a new drive line & DD . I have some small drive dogs ,no set screw . My pipe looks close. I need to run her before I take off anymore .She is ready for testing. I t was a real help having a 2 nd man {Joe } as he knows more than I My skills are in building more than engines & props. Still learning My driving is coming along. For me I like a few runs different days as to 1 day out 1 gal of fuel.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
advanced builder

That was my 2 nd time cat driving ,They drive ,kinda point & shoot. M y second run was better I had a AMAX 440 prop. no video She did a GREAT blow over going down the back stretch. She really started to hook up. Just starting to lean her out. 4 tanks in that Picco .21 engine. getting close to the :sweet spot: 3 blade when I get my new Dog drive. The prop was a Prather 220 Texas cut . I wanted to test more but I had to get my innertube out, no wind ,all I seen was 2 yellow points sticking out of the water. DONE
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCux9G_7FpQ[/youtube]
Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 PM
toyotatruckin

Cats and monos, easiest boats to drive, looks good though, what size set-screws do you need, I use 4-40's for a ton of stuff, if ya need that size I can toss a couple in an envelope and send them your way..
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
advanced builder

Thanks TT I did a snail mail to Octura. Waiting on the mail. They sell a 9 pack of 4-40 setscrews. M y .12 zip rigger needs a new flex cable. Lost some strands inside the coupler. I believe the 2 servos are shot. My play money got eaten up with a Zenoah G260PUM. Next race is in a few weeks
Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
amax

Sounds like that 21 is turning up good, boat looks like it's ridding good to,, Nice job.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM
advanced builder

I need to put my AoA @ -1 1/2 DEGREES , Your 440 prop was cooking amax I will post ,your 3 blade in action next. My 2nd cat will have a zippkit strut.kicking back my prop ,Ya it was fun they drive easy. There is no slide into the corners Miss Jada was running very good ,no water yet my throttle servo decided to die .I have had no luck when it comes to servos,this year 5-6 servos shot
Old 06-26-2010, 12:25 PM
amax

Good,, Glad to hear it's working good for ya. The 440 will be faster than the 437\3 on the Top End. I think the 437\3 will be to small for that engine.
Are your servos getting wet or something?
What servos are you using?
What TX & RX are you using?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 PM
advanced builder

My engine mods are doing well on that P5 I sent out a Nova Rossi 35+.21 as well as a OPS .21 to have all the mods
Mabry Modified
www.mabrymodified.com
His work is very good . I have a few futaba 3PM2.4G, the servos were mostly Hitex and a few 3003 ,3010 futaba, I did switch over to the traxx water resistance on some . Most of the failures were due to human ,me
The cat's auto bailer's are shot. I needed to get inside the box, no clear tape, with me , I had electrical tape. after the blowover she sank quick.The radio box is like swiss cheese. I filled all I thought. Miss Jada my hold down bolt ,too close to the wire comming out the case. pinced
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93511.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1458691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41891.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1458692  
Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM
amax

well heres a couple vids on servo and rx waterproofing you should watch, they were made by sombody else but he's using the same method I'v been using for a long time.

[link=http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/rckings/?action=view&current=GEDC0731.flv]Vid 1[/link]

[link=http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/rckings/?action=view&current=GEDC0733.flv]Vid 2[/link]

[link=http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/rckings/?action=view&current=GEDC0734.flv]Vid 3[/link]
Old 06-27-2010, 09:06 AM
advanced builder

Thank you amax ,a little home work is needed ,like the 6 P proper planing prevents piss pour performance. another buddy uses heat shrink on top of his servo, just a hole in the center fits over the outside gear.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 AM
amax

Yea the only problem with heat shrink is it's harder to open the servos up and make sure their still dry. I probably tear my boat down and open everything and Inspect It more than the average guy, but you should at least check them after a Good Dunk if your getting water in your box just to make sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.