Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
rolla1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plugs

hey! i have 1/12 pro boat miss lumar RTR nitro which has a dynamite .15 i am running OS #8 plugs. just wondering is this an ok plug to run. Thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM
bduncs

Default RE: glow plugs

It depends on the nitro % you are running. The higher percentage of nitro the cooler (or less hot) glow plug you should run, and vice versa. Let some of the more experienced boaters here give you a more definite answer, but that is how I understand it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Dan S

OS #8 will be fine.
they are good plugs, but expensive.

Dan.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
rolla1

what would be a cheaper alternative?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 AM
rcguy1411

Mckoy MC 59 or Mc9 work well use the Mc 9 if running high nitro
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 AM
amax

The McCoy Plugs are a long plug made for\by Dynamite Engines. An OS Plug is a short plug, and does not reach the bottom of the plug hole, so the element is not getting into the combustion chamber fully. The OS plugs will work but in that engine IMO the McCoy Plugs will work better. I have had some luck with the Swanson Fireball Plugs running the lower nitro blends, but their cold plugs for High Nitro didn't hold up to well. The Fireball Plugs are around $2.50ea.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
bduncs

ORIGINAL: amax

The McCoy Plugs are a long plug made for\by Dynamite Engines. An OS Plug is a short plug, and does not reach the bottom of the plug hole, so the element is not getting into the combustion chamber fully. The OS plugs will work but in that engine IMO the McCoy Plugs will work better. I have had some luck with the Swanson Fireball Plugs running the lower nitro blends, but their cold plugs for High Nitro didn't hold up to well. The Fireball Plugs are around $2.50ea.
Which Fireball Plug would you recommend for 20% nitro Amax?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 AM
amax

20% Nitro would use a Hot Plug in most cases. You could try a Standard Plug and see how it works in your location and your set up, but I'm thinking as far north as you are a Hot Plug in any brand with 20% nitro is gonna be your best bet.

McCoy MC8= Hot\long
OS #8 = Hot\short
O'Donnell Red= Hot\long
Fireball you can get in Short or Long and like many of the other plug companies their classified by Heat Range and color coded on top. But they didn't hold up as well using the Higher Nitro Blends over 50%.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
bduncs

Ok thank you. Well as long as I am running 20 and 30 % nitro, and the Fireball plugs work fine with the lower nitro content it would be nice to stop paying 7 bucks a plug!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
amax

Give em a try, if they work in your app great, they are much cheaper, good quality, and made in the Good Ol USA, The standards work best for me with the lower % Fuels that I tried but I never went as low as 20%. I am also At Sea Level with fairly high Humidity levels most the time, so things will work a little differently there.