Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

new boater need help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

new boater need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
upnorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new boater need help!!

I have just aquired an old abc hobby freedom rz nitro boat with a dynamite tnt .12r engine in it, and i am having problems setting it up. When i get it to run it spits fuel out of the exhaust. is this normal? I am running blue thunder 1st run fuel. I am not sure where to put the check valve, in the fuel line or the exhaust "pulse" line that goes to the fuel tank. Just one more thing... Should i move the fuel tank into the bottom of the hull or leave it on top of the boat where it is now?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:59 AM
apache 1

Default RE: new boater need help!!

Put the tank in the boat. What the hells it doing on deck.? I think its always best to keep things low.
Personally I would put no shut offs or filters in line, keep it simple.
As far as fuel comming out the pipe. It could be way rich. Could be holding fuel oil from previous run. A worn out motor will throw fuel because its not capable of burning it anymore. Hopefully thats not your case.
I'm not familiar with your boat to tell the truth.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Refresh my memory but isn't the Freedom RZ the outboard powered boat? It seems like ABC made an inboard version with a .15 or .18 in it. If it is what I think that it is, you've got that clunker OB that tosses belts like there's no tomorrow and also wears out the jackshaft bushings quickly.
With using first run fuel, it's loaded with oil so it's going to run like crap and spit out a lot of oil out the exhaust. Your best bet is to avoid using that stuff and run whatever you normally plan on using but I don't think that the lower unit is going to last through break-in.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
upnorth

Ouch!! Yes, its the one with the outboard. I guess ill have to take my chances and run it till it runs no more. Thanks for the info on the fuel though.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a forewarning. With the lower unit the bushings wear out quickly. Your best bet is to replace them with bearings right away. When the bushings wear, the belts become loose and fall off. There is/was somebody on eBay selling replacement belts but wanted way too much for them.
Do a search in this forum for Dolphin and you'll find a lot of info on the outboard.