RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   What happened to Nitro RC boats? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/11678136-what-happened-nitro-rc-boats.html)

xoibsurferx 05-01-2020 04:01 PM

What happened to Nitro RC boats?

I had an AquaCraft Supervee 27 Nitro years ago and sold it. Since we've moved and now own some property on a small lake and would be perfect to finally have an RC boat I can run from my back yard! The issue is I can't find any new nitro RC boats like the AquaCraft Supervee 27 I had. It seems no one makes Nitro RC boats anymore. Any reason for this or am I missing something?

I'm not really a fan of electric as honestly I hate messing with batteries more than I have to and gas RC boats are just way outside of my price range, unfortunately. Below is a picture of my old AquaCraft.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...68bd412dc3.jpg

Hydro Junkie 05-01-2020 05:41 PM

Have you considered building a boat? There are wooden boat kits and plans that you can build from that make some very good boats. There are gas and nitro stuff out there, you just have to be willing to take the time and be willing to do the work. I, personally, prefer a wood boat to a plastic or fiberglass as, for me anyway, they are easier to build or repair.

xoibsurferx 05-02-2020 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12601360)
Have you considered building a boat? There are wooden boat kits and plans that you can build from that make some very good boats. There are gas and nitro stuff out there, you just have to be willing to take the time and be willing to do the work. I, personally, prefer a wood boat to a plastic or fiberglass as, for me anyway, they are easier to build or repair.

I have not tried to build one. I honestly just don't have the time or tools to build and would prefer to buy a rtr kit but it definitely seems there's none around anymore which is sad. It seems the only rtr kits or almost ready kits are the gas or electric boats. No nitro's.

Ron Olson 05-04-2020 06:56 PM

You kind of answered your own question. Companies like AquaCraft and Pro Boat sold nitro boats, a lot of them but they were aimed at beginners who found out they're not as easy as nitro RC cars and trucks. Unfortunately electrics have taken over part of the segment that they once had.
I also had a AquaCraft Nitro-Vee that was given to me 4 days before they hit the market. A fun boat but easy to over-prop it which broke the connecting rod.
I have a small pile of .12-powered boats in Deep-Vee, outrigger and a hydro. I haven't run them in years.

kevinsburns 10-03-2020 05:01 PM

Prather deep vee hulls are still being produced. They are cheap and easy to build and come in primer for easy painting.
There is one problem with offshore deep vee's is they are faster than monos in straight aways because they run on the keel with less boat in the water but are unstable in high speed turns do to the high center of gravity. Looking at your picture it looks like you have choppy water, perfect for the deep vee. Seaducer are the go to boat as they are also cheap to build as well and much more stable.
I am bias though as I've been running prather hulls for 35 years now and simply love them.
I prefer 3.5cc because the cost is affordable, 40% fuel is also affordable when running a 3.5. I don't get caught up in sales hype.
Radios, I use Spectrum STX3 3ch, 40 buck radios, because I don't need a lcd screen and all the bells whistles, our boats have a throttle and rudder.
Engines, I run 3 to 5 port engines again affordable. mostly 3 port K&B but not ashamed to run low buck 5 port buggy engines either.
I do however spend the money on good water proof servos, and good USA made rudders and stay away from the china junk around today.