RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Thunder Cat 31 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/4095782-thunder-cat-31-a.html)

paulleonard 03-28-2006 08:48 PM

Thunder Cat 31

I'm looking for reviews on the Thunder Cat 31 by pro Boat....

Ron Olson 03-28-2006 09:07 PM

RE: Thunder Cat 31

Start off by looking at the Shockwave 36 thread as they share a lot of the same parts. They did get smart and went to a smaller prop but I feel that we're going to see some of the same bugs that has plagued the SW 36. The electric starter is a concern to me also. It is the Sullivan Tiger Drive, something that I had problems galore with on my sons nitro truck.

paulleonard 03-28-2006 09:51 PM

Thanks Ron...I just purchased this vessel and havent even had a chance to break it in yet...The radio box was loose when I opened the box...Had to epoxy it back in place....Hope its not a bad sign...[:o]...

Ron Olson 03-28-2006 10:20 PM

Others will be watching this as I know that some have them on order, they'll want to know the good and bad points.

hughbell 03-28-2006 11:20 PM

bought my thunder cat 2 weeks ago and had the same radio box problem. It looked like it was in place , but shipping to the lhs may have broke it loose. Needle settings were way off, but once sorted out the motor started easily every time. I couldn't get the boat to launch, no matter what i did. Finally frustrated, I removed the prop from my Shockwave and everything went as it should have from the box. LHS said possibly they under propped the boat. Called Horizon Hobby and now they are sending me a new prop from a shockwave. Other than that, boat runs great, looks great and has the potential to be faster than the shockwave. Good luck to everyone else.

paulleonard 03-29-2006 08:04 AM

Thanks for the input hughbell..I am slating this weekend for the break in so i'll be sure to check the factory needle setting before I Get Started....I will post comments and pics as i progress...I also Purchased the new Spectrum Radio that came with an extra reciever...I've already installed and programmed for two different boats....has anyone had any badexperiences with this radio control Setup..it seems pretty decent loaded with extras..loike built in fail safe etc.....

Ron Olson 03-29-2006 09:05 AM

Having a bad setting on the needles is nothing new for any RTR boat. They just do a rough setting and because of where you live, the settings will differ because of altitude and weather conditions.

paulleonard 03-29-2006 07:15 PM

Well guys I couldnt wait so I started break in tonight...started at about 4:00pm and ended at 6:00pm I ran two full tanks through 12oz ea...I'll continue until i've run at least 5 tanks....There are a couple of things id like to share with you...First off..it was a little difficult to get this engine finally started..when I first added fuel I filled the tank a little more than 3/4 and the fuel just kept pooring out of the carb...the carb is located lower than the fuel tank.. then i noticed that the carb was way too loose...the idle screw was almost all the way out...I had to double check everything..good thing I did, there is alot out of wack as far as factory settings (WAY OFF)..Anyway..I replaced the stock antenna with a prather antenna..the stock one was cheap. and definatly not water resistant. Another thing I was not impressed with was the hull drain located below the exhaust...just a gasket with a plug...the plug is extremely loose. I dont trust it..and will prob. replace with an autobailer.. the exhaust coupler is a little overdone (I Think - Ive posted Pics tell me what you think)..The break in was a little ruff,,stalled a coulple of times through out around six or seven...but as far as break in ...it went as expected...all in all a really nice contruction , including the fiberglass radio box..(not ABS)..very clean set up. these pics were taken after my breakin run...enjoy, and I will keep you posted....

wave waker 03-29-2006 07:22 PM

paul...where's the pic?..how's the tiger drive starter?....i'm just waiting for mine to arrive...

paulleonard 03-29-2006 07:28 PM

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

paulleonard 03-29-2006 07:31 PM

The tiger drive was ok...no problems(yet) I Installed a tiger drive on my nitro hammer about 4 months ago....I've never had any prob...other than some minor slipping when the gears get wet...but other than that...it's been ok so far...I'm trying to post pics now....

paulleonard 03-29-2006 07:43 PM

How do i upload images to this post?....I Can Put In my Gallery , but not in a post?

Ron Olson 03-29-2006 08:06 PM

OK, secret trick so don't tell anybody. Don't scroll down and use the normal reponse area but instead look up in the upper right hand corner right up here ^ and you'll see a "Reply" radio button. See it? OK, hitting that little baby will take you into an advanced screen. In the lower left corner you'll see a place where you can upload pictures.
If you let this out, everybody will be uploading pix!:)

paulleonard 03-29-2006 08:28 PM

ok i tried and i get "ther was an error uploading pics"...so i posted them in my gallery..thanks Ron...
:D

Ron Olson 03-29-2006 08:57 PM

OK, I found them. I see that ProBoat still has their head up their rear yet in a few places, one is the rudder linkage, it really needs to have 4-40 instead of 2-56 rod back there. The goofy throttle linkage is so old school that it isn't funny, they might as well have gone with wheel collars and ink pen springs. When the JR XR-2i has the same street price as the Python, you wonder why they didn't use the better radio system. Maybe they were worried that new boaters might not be able to figure out how to use it. Seriously, the system has 2 setups, an easy one and a more complex setup in the XR-2i. Using the bent wire trick instead of having a radio with EPA doesn't get it any more.

paulleonard 03-29-2006 09:55 PM

as far as the radio system goes I replaced the stock with the Spectrum.....I guess that is a start...:D..as far as the throdle cable...the only reason (I thought) was to get better access to the shaft nut with the two open wrenches....do you think i should replace that alonfg with the stearing linkage?

paulleonard 03-29-2006 10:01 PM

oh...one more thing...The canopy tabs that are supposed to secure it to the hull...really are terrible..one has already broken off...do you have any suggestions on a replacement? ...i was thinking maybe some thin brass strips (Bent the same as the clip) and epoxy to underside of canopy...Thanks again Ron..

330T 03-30-2006 04:07 PM

while my TC 31 is still waiting for a warm day, i've been thinking of a motor swap.. maybe an OS 32.. or 46??

Ron Olson 03-30-2006 04:17 PM

I don't know if there would be a big difference between the Dynamite and OS .32's as it's hard to find real solid numbers on the Dynamite as I've given up on manufacturer numbers.
Keep in mind that if you ever want to move up to something more serious that you'll have to do a lot of work as things won't be a simple bolt-in with the exhaust system being a big part of the fun.

hughbell 04-03-2006 09:01 PM

anybody find a good replacement prop for the thundercat yet? I started using the stock shockwave prop, but the engine seemed like it wasn't getting up to speed quick enough. Went to my lhs and picked up a Graupner carbon prop, part # 2317.45. What a difference in performance, good take off, lots of speed, and a nice rooster tail to make me grin. If anyone knows of something better, post it!

wave waker 04-03-2006 09:32 PM

got info bout dynamite .32 its hp is 1.18 @28000,,i think it's kinda under power for its own size??

Vertical3-D 04-03-2006 10:14 PM

The OS .32 specs are on tower, they arnt much better at all, about the same, the last place I have seen an OS .32 is in the old jetstream 1000 from kyosho, Id go .46 Or a hot .21, the new OS .21 is moy expensive but puts out 2.5 horses, the RG-M .21 from OS puts out 1.7, may as well put that in for 140 bucks and belt start it, or for 160 you can get the pullstart...the OS .32 is 190 and rated at 1.1 horse, the differences is in torgue, which youd want the .21 which runs 28,000 rpm, as aposed to the 17,000 of the .32, I say RG-M .21 and the right prop and exhaust will make it go nicely, even lighten her up a bit...

Ron Olson 04-16-2006 07:55 PM

I finally got to see one in person the other day at a LHS. To me, it appeared that the strut was a little high on it, maybe because of the way that it was packed in the box for shipping. Normally, Cat props don't ride that high. You'll find out quickly if you start running into cavitation problems at speed or in the corners.
Like some others have noted, the welding around the header and flange is sloppy but as long as it doesn't leak, no big deal.
The RPM and HP numbers are low as a sport .21 engine can put out that kind of numbers. The carb doesn't help a bit. Can you say "Restrictor plate racing"?

wave waker 04-20-2006 09:26 PM

hey thundercat31 guys and gals please post what's goin with ur new baby...[:o]i can't run mine still in the work service due to flooding...

urbansub90 04-21-2006 03:26 PM

well today if all goes well is goin to be its maiden voyage. so ill let u all know how it is ive already done all the little things sharpened rudder put foam in the hull and sealed everything. greased the shaft it should be good. so well see tlak later

wave waker 04-21-2006 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Urban, hope u have fun..

I called horizon my engine is on shipping, expecting on monday.....so bored so i did some mods..changed the steering linkage with 4-40, put ball link in the throttle linkage, replaced batt with 5 cell 6V 1100nimh, put access hole in the radio box....i just can't wait longer...

Ron Olson 04-21-2006 08:02 PM

How is that radio box lid? I never cared for screw-down lids as they take a lot of time to seal up. It looks like there should be a lot of gaps between the screws.

wave waker 04-21-2006 09:17 PM

Ron, the lid is quality kind of, bout 2.5mm thickness, the bolts and nuts are pretty sturdy and no worries when thightening it, the only thing is the gasket in between i would say is thin that wil not last long.

Ron Olson 04-21-2006 09:36 PM

If it goes, you might be able to use wing saddle foam tape in its place.

paulleonard 04-22-2006 07:58 AM

Cool pics...I have one question though...what is the access hole for in the radio box top?...also..beware of the broken shaft syndrome that plauged the shockwave...i've encountered the same problem..Thaankfully I was prepared and already had purchased a new shaft from prather.. i had to cut about 1/4 inch off for length...but runns great...also i'm not so sure ii like the idea of the shaft nut so close to the boat hull..I dont know if your set up has the same issue, but i will prob. epoxy a strip of brass to the hull to atleast keep the shaft nut from grinding a nice hole in the hull...[:o]...Anyway keep the posts coming!..I also modded my thundercat 31 i will post some pics later...but so far i'm extremly happy with its performance and stability so far....

NJ NETS FAN 04-22-2006 02:15 PM

Hey guys, anyone have the specs on how fast the boat is? I want to know what the real speed is as I have a shockwave 36 that has been gpsed at 34 mph. If I were to get this boat, I would just buy the hull and transfer everything from my sw36 to the thundercat as it's basically the same boat with just a different hull.

JPriami 04-22-2006 06:50 PM

Yeah I would be interested in hearing some more about this boat. I might order one soon. I have a friend who has a SW 36 & running an octura x447 on it and that thing is a rocket compared to my Miss LLumar running an OS.18 CVRM & octura x640 with a modified bushing to run the larger prop on the stock shaft. Anyways I’m getting smoked by the SW 36 so I was thinking of getting the Thunder cat 31 and putting the same octura x447 on it and hopefully smoke my friends SW. Unless I can find a nicer used cat that someone is selling.

sima 04-22-2006 07:34 PM

paulleonard, i need your help. I broke-in my thundercat 31 today and all went well, have 50 minutes of video, at about a quart and a half, the flex shaft broke and i lost the shaft, prop etc... I would realy apreciate if you could post the Prather cable part number as i am not interested in putting in the original replacement. You can e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks!

HRCH 04-22-2006 07:44 PM

hey all this is urban at work i ran the boat should have checked the settings wayyyyy! off yeah oh well ran three tanks through it ran good reeeealy rich but ran good was stable but it really slow so i dropped the strut down, i beleive that is the term, to put the prop deeper into the water seemed to give it more speed handled a little twitchy so i think i need to adjust it back up. still new to this so i m learning. best part, funny wise is my buddy sank his shockwave in the lake, funny as heck, he bent the trim fins up a 1/4"!! for more speed it looked like an angry 3 legged squirle running across the water then it flipped over. braaaaaaa....blah. dead took some water on turned rite side up again and then sank with about 1 ft sticking out of the water. took us an hour of jerking around then another friend went swimming finaly. all in all a very entertaining nite. oh yeah about an hours running was at night the lake we found has lites awsome well talk later.

FE_Chris 04-22-2006 07:56 PM

I just got mine the other night. I have been working on it as it is NOT RTR right out of the box. At first glance I can see that the fuel tank has leaks through the cap so I need a plug for that. For the most part it looks good tho.

I am planning on breaking it in tomorrow. I still have to seal the engine and such, but all in good time.

I did have some questions, Maybe someone can help.

1. Do cats use trim tabs or turn fins? I am concerned about the cornering ability of this boat.

2. If I move the strut up, or down, what does that do and in what direction is it done. (up for more speed? down for more speed?)

Also, a buddy of mine has a very small GPS unit that I am gonna throw into the boat after I get about a gallon of fuel through the engine. Should be fun to see how fast she really is. Thanks.

wave waker 04-22-2006 08:38 PM

Paul, the access hole is for batt charging no need to unscrew the lid just pull the wire and charge, also for ventilation when got moisture inside..

since sw36 and cat31 using same engine the only thing i think cat31 advantage is the catamaran hull which is also considered tunnel hull creates less drag due to less hull surface incontact with water and the air trap between the water and the bottom of the hull creates lift, the V hull creates more drag, it uses tab for lift but it also creates drag...

i agree sw36 runs bout 34mph coz i myself clock a club member his stock sw36 with same speed..not to bias but i'm expecting cat31 will run bout 40'sh.

hoping by monday i'll get my engine and break-in..i'll post any info i'll get.

lineman1221 04-22-2006 09:06 PM

i bought a tc 31 and have had ZERO problems with the boat. a buddy at the lake helped me with the strut and after we lowerd the prop about 1/8" the boat still had a bit of cavitation on take off but nothing major. i have an o.s. 32 on the way so soon ill will be able to compare the two mills and post some results. i dont have any idea in what prop to use so if anyone has any suggestions please post them.
i might even try an os 21 rg m just to see if it would work any better. does anyone know of an exhaust set up for an rg or any expereriance with the rg?

lineman1221 04-22-2006 09:21 PM

hey sima the prather flex cable part number is PRA8020

lineman1221 04-22-2006 09:30 PM

hey sima the prather flex cable part number is PRA8020

NJ NETS FAN 04-22-2006 10:02 PM

Wow this thread is a lot more active than the SW36 thread. Usually theres only 1-2 posts a day in that thread, but in the this one there have been 10 posts just today. Keep me updated on the top speed of the boat, as that is the only reason I would upgrade my SW36 to a thundercat hull. And I hope your right that it'll run around 40 mph.