RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   radios ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5038655-radios.html)

pedaladdictions 11-25-2006 08:10 PM

radios ??

got a question, is fm noticably better than am controllers, what advantages are there over the other?

wave waker 11-25-2006 08:54 PM

RE: radios ??

ORIGINAL: pedaladdictions

got a question, is fm noticably better than am controllers, what advantages are there over the other?

am is more prone to interference that cause lost signal, which we really don't like when running our boats.

oldlugs 11-26-2006 10:34 AM

People used AM for years, many without any radio problems. If you're using a 75mhz band AM radio in a rural area, you may never have a problem. A trucker's CB radio can give a 27mhz AM radio user fits... If you boat runs over 40 mph and you live in a congested area, better to go with FM.

gooycheese 11-26-2006 06:18 PM

Well Lugs if you are correct then I better change to FM, I boat in an industrial park next to a busy street in the suburbs of Chicago with high voltage lines 1 block away lmao......... like there could be any more problems .

Paul

Believe It 11-26-2006 06:43 PM

i never once had a problem running AM (27mhz to boot) radios in my nitro boats. I have a airtronics blazer sport in my Team Believer, and even used it in my Insane mono and had not one glitch.

Ive been pretty happy with my Hitec Aggressor FM radio im using in my gas boat. Cheap as well (something like $80-85 shipped). :)

oldlugs 11-26-2006 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Believe It

i never once had a problem running AM (27mhz to boot) radios in my nitro boats....
I've also never had trouble with AM radios, but I think the whole reason for switching to FM, was fewer glitches...
If you ever get near a CBer with a "footwarmer" turned on, switch on your receiver and see what your servos do! Some of those guys will bleed over two channels away.

FE_Chris 11-26-2006 07:36 PM

I have used AM, worked fine for me. Range was not that great, better than a spektrum. Spektrum sucked. BAD range. Only 200-250FT or so....

THEN I got a FM Module and a couple Novak XXL Rx's ....Problem solved. Range is fantastic and performance is seemless. I drove all the way to kalamazoo, michigan here to go to the "mark scott fun run".....2 hours of driving to find out my spektrum would not let my thunder cat go around the entire course. I think it might have something to do with the power consumption. Range seems fade quite a bit after a run or 2, if it did'nt fail safe on me and make me have to row a boat out to retrieve the darn thing

pedaladdictions 11-28-2006 12:25 AM

thanks for the input guys.................