RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   sprintcat 36 turbo cowl (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5069262-sprintcat-36-turbo-cowl.html)

tazmaniaboats 12-03-2006 10:17 AM

sprintcat 36 turbo cowl

hello
i need info on a suitable engine for a sprint cat 36 inch .the aeromarine site says from 45-80 engines but i have got a rossi 61 and does not fit ,due to engine height that hits cowl.

wave waker 12-03-2006 10:20 AM

RE: sprintcat 36 turbo cowl

ORIGINAL: tazmaniaboats

hello
i need info on a suitable engine for a sprint cat 36 inch .the aeromarine site says from 45-80 engines but i have got a rossi 61 and does not fit ,due to engine height that hits cowl.

u can cut the cowling and put a scoop there if u want to, that way u save ur engine.

piper_chuck 12-03-2006 10:33 AM

Just cut a hole in the cowl, the extra air will do it good. I've got an OS .81 in mine, and it used to have an OPS.67. Both were higher than the cowl.

tazmaniaboats 12-10-2006 03:17 PM

hello piper do you know approximate or the best cg for that model or where can i find any information.
thankyou for your custom,
taz.

piper_chuck 12-10-2006 06:28 PM

Hmmm, interesting question. To be perfectly honest, I've never measured the CG in mine. I've just got everything where it belongs and then started running it. Even when I swapped from the OPS .67 to the OS .81, I didn't worry about the CG. I'm not sure I could even measure mine right now, the engine is out of the boat and in a plastic bag for winter storage.

tazmaniaboats 12-11-2006 02:42 PM

hello chuck
i will try to find more info, as the cat i own will be used in a sea water and in malta it,s rarely very calm water or no wind .
at the moment the cat lays on the shelf and the engine is near him i,m still a bit hmmm about it .not that the hull is no good but the ones that i see driven here are a bit touchy on full trottle.

Believe It 12-11-2006 02:47 PM

man good luck running the sprint cat in the ocean chop. My Team Believer is based off the Sprint cat (offshore virsion says aeromarine) and it gets very flighty in any kind of chop.

piper_chuck 12-11-2006 04:01 PM

I agree about the chop. When I'm racing mine it can hold it's own against larger gas cats as long as I stay in fairly good water. It's fine at full throttle on fairly calm water, however, if I get into the choppy water behind several of them, I'm stuck there. There is no way to get past the wakes without risk of going airborne. I can't imagine running mine in the typical Saturday afternoon chop generated by powerboats at the local lake. The ocean is going to be kind of tough. your best bet for these conditions will be to choose a prop that gives plenty of bite, but not too much top speed. In other words, pick a prop with a large diameter and smaller pitch than normal. This will give you great acceleration, but keep the top speed down to a level where it won't go airborne as much.

And do try to avoid going airborne, I need a new cowl for mine. While I was getting the setup right and learning what it can and can't do, it flipped several times. Each time the cowl was a little worse. At the last race of the season, it was all I could do to duct tape it together well enough to run. A replacement is on the way.

tazmaniaboats 12-13-2006 08:50 AM

thank you guys for the useful tips hope to have luck and time to begin the aeromarine sprint cat 36 catamaran in the future.