RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   size of a flexy cable? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5096760-size-flexy-cable.html)

gasboatracer 12-10-2006 01:55 AM

size of a flexy cable?

how do tell the size of a flexy cable and if its a left or right, also can you cut them shorter?
thanks johnnie

martno1fan 12-10-2006 04:47 AM

RE: size of a flexy cable?

you tell the size by measuring the diametre 1/4 is for gas powere3/16 is for nitro.you tell if its a left or right cable as you call it by the way its wrapped if the cable goes in a left hand direction its left ( standard ! )if its a right hand lay its used if you run two props and want one counter rotating normally.you need a left lay cable which is the standard one.you can cut them, to do it you use either a dremel cutting wheel or a small grinder with a cutting wheel,you cant use a hack saw or it will seperate and fray the cables badly.hope this helps you !!.
mart

Sean Bowf 12-10-2006 09:55 AM

I think there are a couple sizes near 1/8th of an inch, and then the 3/16th one for larger engines (then of course the 1/4th for engines that are probably beyond what most folks here use).

What I did, was I picked up a straight edge and a couple drill bits. Put the cable and drill bit flat on a table about 6 inches from each other, then lay the straight edge on them (on the shank of the drill bit, not the cutters). If the straight edge is parallel to the table, then the cable is the size of the drill bit. It works...

As to left or right...most cables are going to be for counterclockwise rotation of the prop. I think the only application that is not is a dual prop setup in which one prop spins the other way. Anyhow...if you lay the cable on the table with the prop end toward you, and look down at the cable...the winding on it should go from bottom right to up and left.

Sean

gooycheese 12-10-2006 11:40 AM

As far as I know cables for nitro go (.130) , (.150) , (.187 or 3/16) , (.250 or 1/4) there are smaller cables but I think those are for really small boats. But also there are diffrent size prop shafts, in my case I need a .130 cable and have it step up to a .187 or 3/16's prop shaft. Hope this answers some questions :)

Paul

Sean Bowf 12-10-2006 02:04 PM

Paul, I have a dumas boat (made in the USA), and I think their cables were actually a true 1/8th of an inch, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, 1/8th of in inch is .125...in short, it is pretty much a 130 (.130) cable... Either that, or I am misunderstanding something.

Sean

gasboatracer 12-10-2006 03:07 PM

cool that should do it, my cable is 1/8" but i cant find one are there any other things that mean 1/8"????