RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   If strut is listed for 3/16th inch stub... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5131549-if-strut-listed-3-16th-inch-stub.html)

Sean Bowf 12-18-2006 04:37 PM

If strut is listed for 3/16th inch stub...

If strut is listed for 3/16th inch stub shaft, shouldn't the bore of the strut be either 3/16th, or if allowing for the stuff box or a bearing, 7/32 inch?

I ask because I ordered a couple struts that are supposed to be for a 3/16th inch stub shafts, and they both have 1/4" bore. So either I got the wrong items, or I am misunderstanding something...

Sean

gooycheese 12-18-2006 05:27 PM

RE: If strut is listed for 3/16th inch stub...

1 Attachment(s)
Could it be there is enougth room for you teflon liner to go in there or a strut bushing? I dont know what model strut you got but this is an example of a strut bushing its for an sv27.

Paul

TIA 12-18-2006 05:30 PM

Sean it sounds like you got the wrong stuff. 3/16 is 3/16.

Sean Bowf 12-18-2006 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured, that even if they left room for a bearing, wouldnt it be the same size as the brass tube that fits the 3/16th stub shaft (I am saying, wouldnt it be 7/32 bore?).

In short, shouldn't I be able to use a piece of 7/32 brass tube as a bearing?

I got these off e-bay, but they are from a manufacturer of these parts, so I think they will back up their product (fix their mistake, if they made a mistake). If it is my mistake, then I guess I eat them.

Pic attached.

Sean

Watercadet 12-18-2006 05:58 PM

It was not a mistake. You just need the stuffing tube to go all the way through the strut (or use a strut bushing like posted) and the next size tube up from 7/32 (1/4). You will see on the picture above has the 1/4 flange at the end. That fits snug in the strut.

Sean Bowf 12-18-2006 07:39 PM

Ok...that bushing above is $10...I will have to figure something out, probably just using brass tubes.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the struts, so if I can make them work...I will.

Thanks,
Sean

martno1fan 12-19-2006 04:03 AM

id double check they dont allready have bushes fitted usually lead teflon!! if they do they are for 1/4 shafts you can still use them if you can get a ferrule to step up to a 1/4 stub shaft.

Ron Olson 12-19-2006 10:21 AM

You can make your own easily from brass tubing. I prefer slots over holes myself. Make them at angles as they'll cover more area for the grease. Just use a cut-off wheel to cut the slots then run a 3/16" drill bit though the tubing to clean it up on the inside. A little flare on the prop end helps. It will help to hold it in place and the flare will give the drive dog less of a contact area during cable wind-up.