RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   O.S. TZ 18. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5133410-o-s-tz-18-a.html)

cyclesoul 12-18-2006 10:52 PM

O.S. TZ 18.

Hey there, Ive just been cruising the online hobby shops while I wait for a part of my boat to come in and have been looking at upgrading the .15 team infinity that my boat has with a more powerful small block. The OS CVR is an obvious choice as it would bolt right in and is a bargain at $85, but Id prefer to have a pull start and that version is $180 somrthing! Then I saw the OS TZ which is one of the most powerful small blocks eva n it got me thinking about fitting the CVR marine head to it.

My question is, would it be posible? a straight forward easy swap or a painful tear jerking tool throwing folly!!!!!!

Ben

Ron Olson 12-19-2006 12:05 AM

RE: O.S. TZ 18.

This was dicussed a few times before but I couldn't tell you where.
It seems like he had to drill out the holes in the water-cooled head to make it fit.

cyclesoul 12-19-2006 12:48 AM

cheers ron! I did a bit of digging with the search tool and found one mention by Jerry Duuurrlap- Dunlop [:@] sorry Jerry!!) He said he rapped the head with 1/8 brass and that it worked well (he was super fast replying to my pm as well -thanks:D).

Hopefully someone will post a reply if they have had a go at the marine head. I think it will be a tight fit in my boat with a full size heat sink on it.

Ben

Ron Olson 12-19-2006 01:03 AM

I think that I know what boat you're talking about as it may have been at one time an ABC Hobby boat. Dropping an OS in there ought to really wake that puppy up!

Sean Bowf 12-19-2006 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: cyclesoul

Hey there, Ive just been cruising the online hobby shops while I wait for a part of my boat to come in and have been looking at upgrading the .15 team infinity that my boat has with a more powerful small block. The OS CVR is an obvious choice as it would bolt right in and is a bargain at $85, but Id prefer to have a pull start and that version is $180 something! Then I saw the OS TZ which is one of the most powerful small blocks eva n it got me thinking about fitting the CVR marine head to it.

My question is, would it be posible? a straight forward easy swap or a painful tear jerking tool throwing folly!!!!!!

Ben
Here is what gets me...the .18 CVR-MX is $170, but the .18 CV-RX is only $110 (both have pull starts). The marine head appears to be $21.50...so wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the car engine, and swap the head out? I have not tried this, but going through both the manuals, it appears the parts for both engines have the same part numbers, so why would this not work?

Maybe even Ebay the car head when done??

Or...buy the $85 CVR-M, and the $110 CV-RX, swap heads and sell a whole brand new CVR motor on Ebay.

Sean

cyclesoul 12-19-2006 07:46 PM

Yes I had thought of buying both motors and swapping the parts, and either selling the left over motor or keeping it as a spare motor. The TZ though has alot more hp and is $140! only $30 more than the CVR off road motor, It would take alot more than $30 to find another .5 hp+ in a .18! I could (hopefully) fit the marine head to the TZ and it will still cost less than the CVR-M, especially after selling the finned head on ebay. Or as Jerry Dunlap suggested I could wrap the head in brass tube and be done with it, though the neat freak in me is resisting this idea!

Ben

BTW I email OS about this so it will be interesting to see what/if they reply!

ryan_t888 12-19-2006 10:03 PM

If the air cooled head would fit in your boat, I would leave it on there. The TZ does sound like the way to go.

Ryan

cyclesoul 12-20-2006 06:15 PM

HMM, I am leaning more to leaving the std head on the TZ, just to save the hassle and get the boat in the water quicker, though I do love to tinker!

I got a reply from OS, next day, thats pretty damn good if you ask me, they said that the marine head does not fit and that they cannot advise me what parts or modifications would be required to make it fit because of warranty and Liability issues, which is probably fair enough in our current society!! CYA hey! ITs a bit of a bummer though because saying that gives me the idea that it may fit if I had the right parts

They did suggest a couple of forums though, including this one to get some advise.

Ben