RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Chine Dancin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5242951-chine-dancin.html)

mopartybob 01-10-2007 02:20 PM

Chine Dancin

I've moved this ? out of the nitro vee thread hoping for some answers,I'm runnin an os.21,macs tuned pipe,speedmaster hardware,octura 440\3,needless to say it reeeaalllly hauls the mail,but at 3\4 to WOT (40mph+) this chine dance begins,it's like a hula dancer on steroids[:-],it's all good at 1\2 to 3\4 (35mph) but anything above that she breaks loose [:@],does this prop have too much lift ? rendering the trim tabs useless? would adj.the surface drive angle help at these higher speeds ? how about longer(not wider) trim tabs? help please...[:o]

Jerry Dunlap 01-10-2007 06:54 PM

RE: Chine Dancin

If the Nitro Vee is the 24" version by ProBoat, I think that's your challenge. At 24", there's insufficient hull to accept the power of the engine. Kinda like running a blown nitro Hemi in a Volkswagon "Bug."

JD

mopartybob 01-10-2007 07:10 PM

LOL, it's the traxxas nitro vee 31", kinda more likening to runnin a small block chev. in a vega... the power was manageable until I switched props from a p250 to the oct.440\3(engine didn't rev tooo high)but now the revs are up and with the tuned pipe for the kicker, I think i'm gonna need to darn near run the hull submerged (LOL) to keep this thing planted,what do you think about the extended trim tabs-2-3" behind transom?

Sean Bowf 01-10-2007 07:15 PM

Sorry for the newb question, but what is chine dancing??

Sean

mopartybob 01-10-2007 07:33 PM

also known as "death wobble" uncontrollable (sometimes violent) side-side rocking motion on the sides or "chines" of the hull,in extreme instances,as in my case,it can extend but not be limited to the freeboards(sides of the boat) now thats dancin...[:-]

Jerry Dunlap 01-10-2007 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

LOL, it's the traxxas nitro vee 31", kinda more likening to runnin a small block chev. in a vega... the power was manageable until I switched props from a p250 to the oct.440\3(engine didn't rev tooo high)but now the revs are up and with the tuned pipe for the kicker, I think i'm gonna need to darn near run the hull submerged (LOL) to keep this thing planted,what do you think about the extended trim tabs-2-3" behind transom?
The extended trim tabs are worth trying. You also might try adjusting the strut to provide negative prop thrust. Another issue could be the bottom ride strakes on the Traxxas Vee. Most of the 3.5 vees are now running much less in the way of bottom ride strakes. You might also want to try a X437/3. This would provide less torque.

JD

mopartybob 01-10-2007 11:41 PM

Thanks jerry,I'll give it a try...:D

Ron Olson 01-11-2007 12:25 AM

The problem is that the strut is in the wrong position. It is just a little too low and needs to be raised, a real trick to do with that boat. I had a boat that did it badly also, anything over half-throotle and it would chine-walk like crazy. I finally got it cured after raising the strut but had a new boat on order by the time that I got it fixed.
Your only other choice may be to go to a smaller diameter, higher-pitched prop.

mopartybob 01-11-2007 01:58 AM

Hey Ron, Do you mean the strut is angled too low and \ or is set too low? It's a speedmaster sd unit and it would'nt be too much of a hassle to raise it,LOL,[:@] it is adj. for this,I'm also leanin toward a prop change too...would a 2 blade lessen torque effects...thanks

Ron Olson 01-11-2007 02:09 AM

It's set too low. I hated to mess with my setup as I really didn't want to enlongate the hole to raise everything up but I did and the handling changed a lot!
If I remember (it's been a while) I only had to raise everything up 1/8" to fix the problem. You can experiment with it and just use something to seal the hole with temporarily until you find the sweet spot.
Afterwards you might find that the boat might be able to swing a bigger prop as you free that up also.

mopartybob 01-11-2007 02:43 AM

I was afraid thats what you meant [:@] ,but alas, another great mystery of the water solved,will let you know how it works out,thanks everyone....;)

mopartybob 01-11-2007 03:11 PM

Hey Ron,have you seen the vid on RCU about the boat stabilizer? the demo boat is a 36" shockwave which I have seen run at my lake and is also a chine dancer, anyways, it definately looks like my problem solver short of relocating the sd,changing props,and playing with trimtabs,please review and pass your thoughts on it this-a-way [:-]

Flabum 01-11-2007 05:42 PM

Thatstabilizer will probably cure the problem and at the same time knock some speed off as well. It may also create new problems such as nose diving and launching.

mopartybob 01-11-2007 06:00 PM

I figger that I won't be losing what I can't gain=SPEED,For some, the issue of launching may be a factor,as far as nose diving,I could'nt detect any remote hint of that in the vid.[:-] http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....cfc2a31b3f72ec

cwaterhunter 01-25-2007 09:27 PM

i saw in another thread about " ride pads" any good? yes or no..

mopartybob 01-29-2007 10:29 AM

RESOLVED :D ,I bent the single-piece starboard trim tab (inside edge closest to keel) about 1\8" down to offset the forces that be,because I'm always on the throttle,ride attitude to port side is minimally minimal [:-] ,I will be adj. prop angle back to even with the keel as i was runnin "wet",and try to regain some lost (drag-induced) WOT speed and still retain stability,yeah, there's a fine line there............[:-] thank-you to those that responded...;)