RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   STARTER DIFFICULTIES!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5264321-starter-difficulties.html)

gofast53 01-14-2007 03:29 PM

STARTER DIFFICULTIES!!

Have a new ASP .61 which has just had 3 tanks run through. Ended up setting motor up on a stand with an aero prop and spinner and started using 12v starter motor and rubber cone. Reason being that when motor was in boat I could not get it to turn over using same starter motor with belt. Even loosening glow plug right off resulted in engine cranking over too slowly. 12V battery I am using is brand new along with the cheap chinese starter (same as cheap tower hobbies one).
After third tank on stand I refited motor to boat and retried starting with belt, but same problem.
Anyone have any suggestions, I have heard of other people using 24v on a 12v starter motor in short bursts. Has anyone tried this,did it work and am I likely to damage my starter motor?
Do not want to have to purchase a 24v starter which is expensive.

wave waker 01-14-2007 05:49 PM

RE: STARTER DIFFICULTIES!!

ORIGINAL: CARIMALI

Have a new ASP .61 which has just had 3 tanks run through. Ended up setting motor up on a stand with an aero prop and spinner and started using 12v starter motor and rubber cone. Reason being that when motor was in boat I could not get it to turn over using same starter motor with belt. Even loosening glow plug right off resulted in engine cranking over too slowly. 12V battery I am using is brand new along with the cheap chinese starter (same as cheap tower hobbies one).
After third tank on stand I refited motor to boat and retried starting with belt, but same problem.
Anyone have any suggestions, I have heard of other people using 24v on a 12v starter motor in short bursts. Has anyone tried this,did it work and am I likely to damage my starter motor?
Do not want to have to purchase a 24v starter which is expensive.
probably after those attempts to start ur batt drained already,,,with .61 engine 24v batt and starter are needed because of lot of torque and compression there..with ur 12v batt it's only ok for only few jumpstart...

gofast53 01-14-2007 06:38 PM

Do you think I could get away with using my 12v starter on 24v in short bursts?

danemotty 01-14-2007 06:55 PM

I also have a new boat that is used and was wondering how to use the belt to start the engine any help, compression seems very strong, how do you get the belt or where do you put the belt to try to start engine. OPS .45 engine

Thanks
Dane

piper_chuck 01-14-2007 07:38 PM

New ABC engines can be very tight at the top of the cylinder. One thing I've seen recommended, but have never tried, is to heat the engine before trying to start it. This expands the cylinder a bit and loosens the fit.

gofast53 01-14-2007 08:00 PM

Yare still feels abit tight but sounds like I have the wrong size starter motor. Not that easy to preheat a motor when you are at the pond.

wave waker 01-14-2007 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
12v starter can't handle 24v batt,it goin to smoke,,,,maybe u can get a good deal from ebay.....

ORIGINAL: danemotty

I also have a new boat that is used and was wondering how to use the belt to start the engine any help, compression seems very strong, how do you get the belt or where do you put the belt to try to start engine. OPS .45 engine

Thanks
Dane
this is a small engine but the same way to start...hope it help u.

piper_chuck 01-14-2007 09:00 PM

Yare still feels abit tight but sounds like I have the wrong size starter motor. Not that easy to preheat a motor when you are at the pond.
Until I started running an OS .81 I did not need 24V. I was able to reliably start an OPS .45 and OPS .67 on 12V. Having said this, I will definitely say that starts have become so much more reliable with 24V that I now only use 12V for my outboards.

One trick you may or not know is to back the motor up as far from the compression as possible before you hit the starter switch. This lets the starter build up a bit of momentum before it hits the first compression.

gofast53 01-15-2007 02:45 PM

Well last night I connected 24v across my starter and gave it a whirl. It cranked my .61 over without any problem at all, no overheating or smoking of my starter. I did this several times in 3 sec bursts and everything seems to be OK. I figure that once I complete breaking in my .61 that it will become easier to crank over and I can go back to using 12v on my starter.

danemotty 01-16-2007 04:03 PM

what do you do with the belt after startup, does it just stay around the output shaft????

330T 01-16-2007 04:18 PM

you can run a 12v starter on 24v, though its not recommended. If you do make sure the on off switch works as that will be the first part to fail

gofast53 01-16-2007 05:57 PM

Ran my sterter on 24 v last night several times and finally got my new .61 run in. Cranks it over without overheating starter motor, though I did have to have glow plug loose.
My starter on/off switch is simply two strips of copper strip that when pressed together by the rubber switch switch motor on. So I do not think I will have any problems with it as it looks as though it can take some current!

wave waker 01-16-2007 08:12 PM

Ran my sterter on 24 v last night several times and finally got my new .61 run in. Cranks it over without overheating starter motor, though I did have to have glow plug loose.
My starter on/off switch is simply two strips of copper strip that when pressed together by the rubber switch switch motor on. So I do not think I will have any problems with it as it looks as though it can take some current!
there u go[sm=thumbup.gif]...u save some $ there:D.

gofast53 01-16-2007 09:01 PM

Yare spoke to a friend who does motor rewinding for a living and he reckons most starter motor windings are fairly heavy grade and can take a heavier current and voltage that stated normally stated by manufacturer, though not for continuous periods. He also reckons that as long as the starter is not smoking or getting too hot that there is no risk of damage to it.

DMACK 01-19-2007 11:35 PM

I always used the heavy duty starter from Hobby People. It will run on either 12 or 24 volts right from the factory. It isn't cheap though. Keep in mind that it's the volts that count for these starter motors not the cranking amps. You don't need a car battery with 650 amps. I used two 12v gel batteries I got from a surplus store. They are used in those emergency lights you see on the walls in big buildings for when the power goes out.

For dependable starting. I always did the exact same procedure. Take out the glow plug. Turn the motor over and stick you finger in the carb for a moment to get a good flow of fuel moving through the engine. A good mist should be coming out of the plug hole. Then with a clamp or with your fingers pinch off the fuel tube right where it enters the carb. Watch the fuel mist coming out of the plug hole until it almost goes completely away. Then stop turning over the motor. Tilt the boat back toward the transom to drain any extra fuel out of the pipe. Then re-install the glow plug. With the starter belt, rotate the moter backwards (counter clockwise) until it comes up against the motor compression. Put on the glow plug battery, wait 3 or 4 seconds, then start the motor.

I always used a clamp to pinch off the fuel tubing at the carb, and left it clamped on there until ready to start the motor. A warm day, moving the boat around, turning the motor over, even by hand, can all start the fuel flowing into the motor causing it to flood and making it very hard to start.

Believe It 01-20-2007 03:58 PM

it depends on which starter you have on if you are gonna be able to crank over a 'big block' on 12v. My sullivan hi-tork starter wont turn my OPS motor over (nor my K&B motor) on 12v. 24v it spins them right up.. but even with the OPS and new piston/sleeve i gotta really jerk the belt up onto the pulley to get it past tdc. Now if i had a dynatron, im sure it would spin em over on 12v fine as it makes probably the same torque on 12v as most starters on 24v.

Believe It 01-20-2007 04:05 PM

btw a good handle that lets you have a better hold on the starter also helps with getting the motor spun over. I made my own out of some material i found sitting in the garage, but plan to get a speedmaster at some point (same style, just better :)). This one works flawlessly though for only spending $8 on the momentary siwtch :)

http://i10.tinypic.com/42u1hg1.jpg