RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5662498-aquacraft-super-vee-27-nitro.html)

Ron Olson 04-03-2007 11:46 PM

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Aquacraft has officially posted this new boat on their site so you know that a thread was going to be coming.
I just finished watching the video and earlier today saw the pictures of it. It looks like a trip to the LHS to put a deposit on one!
I'm not sure which color that I want but I'm sort of leanig towards a white one and orange being my second choice. The red doesn't look too bad either.
This boat has a water-cooled header that I'm guessing will fit onto the Miss Vegas for those that had problems with the coupler melting.

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub22-main.html

Grimmie said that I'd like it and he's right! I can't wait to see it in person a week from Saturday. Yes, I'll take lots of pix of it.

Jerry Dunlap 04-03-2007 11:49 PM

RE: Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

I had an opportunity to run the boat while I was in Champaign two weeks ago. Runs very nicely. :D

JD

GRANT ED 04-04-2007 03:09 AM

Whats the speed like compared to the electric version?

Ron Olson 04-04-2007 07:59 AM

It's kind of hard to tell from the video what the speed is. I'm guessing that an aftermarket prop will speed her up some more though.
What I did notice is how flat it takes the waves.
One thing that I am curious about is why they didn't go with the water pick-up in the rudder with this boat like on the electric version or the Miss Vegas.

Russ Williamson 04-04-2007 09:06 AM

Hi Ron,
Our choice was to have the water pick up in the rudder, instead of on the transom. However, with all the SV Brushless video we have seen on the Net, many are making left turns just as much as they are to the right, even though this is a surface drive system and intended for right hand turns.

The SV27 Brushless rudder will bolt on the Nitro to have a race rudder and eliminate the water pick up on the transom.

Thanks,
Rw

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

It's kind of hard to tell from the video what the speed is. I'm guessing that an aftermarket prop will speed her up some more though.
What I did notice is how flat it takes the waves.
One thing that I am curious about is why they didn't go with the water pick-up in the rudder with this boat like on the electric version or the Miss Vegas.

Ron Olson 04-04-2007 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just noticed in the stock photo that the water pick-up in the ridder is blocked off. I'm thinknig that it may be possible to remove the grub screw and replace it with a fitting for water cooling.

toyotatruckin 04-04-2007 10:12 AM

Why didnt you guys put an adjustable stinger on eather of the boats? Kinda makes it of less quality than just having a brass tube sticking out the back, Difference, the brass tube you can adjust..

Grimracer 04-04-2007 10:24 AM

Ron,

The production boats rudder does not come with a water pick up hole in it..

Good Eagle Eye man

Grim

Grimracer 04-04-2007 10:26 AM

Toyo..

Tell me.. why do we want an adjustable stinger for the RTR guys.. or why at all?

Thanks for helping us understand..

Grim

toyotatruckin 04-04-2007 10:33 AM

Question is, Why not be able to tune the ride of your boat to make it run its best? tune with trim tabs work but also causes unwanted drag which slows the boat down...

Grimracer 04-04-2007 10:43 AM

Oho.. My confusion.. You see the stinger is the exit of the exhaust.. Are you talking about the Strut? If so it is adjustable… however not in length.. The length of the strut has been optimized here at Aquacraft for that length boat.

Thanks

Grim

toyotatruckin 04-04-2007 10:51 AM

Hay your a boat guy the strut your talking about is a stinger you should know that come on grim has working at aqu. made you slip away from the rest of the RC world??LOL ......If the STINGER is adjustable then I was wrong Just didnt look like it was.........And I think the Nitro V hull that size was a good addition to the line...Its gotta be better than the shockwave!

piper_chuck 04-04-2007 10:52 AM

This kind of problem occurs when two different parts of a boat get the same name. Here's an example of the term "stinger" used as toyotatrukin did: http://rossisales.com/stinger187.html

toyotatruckin 04-04-2007 10:55 AM

Well said

Jerry Dunlap 04-04-2007 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

Whats the speed like compared to the electric version?
I saw Grim's EP SV 27 run in South Carolina and it's fast. I would say the speed of the GP SV 27 is at least that fast, maybe a bit faster. I think the new model boater will be able to get the GP SV 27 to run faster than the EP version.

JD

toyotatruckin 04-04-2007 11:51 AM

I have seen the sv27 run also for what it is its ok on speed and i agree that the nitro version can and will be faster

Grimracer 04-04-2007 12:57 PM

Lets expand on this further.

If you look under the "Strut" section at Rossi sales you will find a strut called a stinger..

So you might indeed call our strut a stinger... it can be confusing..

Back to the SV Nitro...

The SV Nitro is darn quick out of the box.. I have had it up to 36MPH out of the box.. plastic prop and all.. The boat shows little signs of cavitation and for the guys that are concerned.. the cooling works if you are turning right or left.

Its a very fun boat..

The video was fun to shoot.. The water was super rough and the boats just keeped pluging.

ROCK ON

Grim

Ron Olson 04-04-2007 01:11 PM

I had an idea that you were in the video. It looked like a cold, windy day that you shot it.

When I first started rading the replies I was wondering what Toyota was talking about as yes, there is a stinger on the end of a tuned pipe plus the "stinger" type of strut.

Jerry Dunlap 04-04-2007 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I had an idea that you were in the video. It looked like a cold, windy day that you shot it.

When I first started rading the replies I was wondering what Toyota was talking about as yes, there is a stinger on the end of a tuned pipe plus the "stinger" type of strut.
Jeez, and all these years I've just thought bees had stingers,;) O.k., it's off topic. Ron might have to delete something "Ol JD" posted.

JD

sleepy306 04-04-2007 03:37 PM

This might be off topic, but how can a mono with the same powerplant run faster than a hydro? I thought (scale) hydros were suppose to be fast? Or is it just the handling, although I'm sure this sv can carve just as well?

Jerry Dunlap 04-04-2007 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sleepy306

This might be off topic, but how can a mono with the same powerplant run faster than a hydro? I thought (scale) hydros were suppose to be fast? Or is it just the handling, although I'm sure this sv can carve just as well?
I'm sure one of the first things I'll do when I have my GP SV27 is run it against a Vegas. That's when we'll have a true speed comparison.

JD

motorhead91 04-07-2007 07:43 PM

grim what props would you recommend for th sv27?

Ron Olson 04-14-2007 10:04 PM

I met Grimracer today at the Toledo show and you'll never guess what I got! OK, you guessed. As thanks for the work that I've done here, Mike and Russ wanted to do something for me. I knew that Mike had something that he wanted to give me, but didn't know what it was.
I am now the proud owner of a Super-Vee 27!!!!!!!![sm=teeth_smile.gif]
I've been playing around with it since I got home between answering e-mails. If the weather holds out this week, it will be on the water by Saturday at the latest. I'm on vacation this week but have a big honey-do list to attend to first.
I will record its maiden voyage then start with the tinkering.
If you haven't been on the Aquacraft site lately, they will be coming out with a line of props for their boats to squeeze some more speed out of them. I've got a few in the prop box to try out but will start with the one provided and go from there.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...t/PICT0076.jpg

rcBPman04 04-14-2007 10:46 PM

Well there Ron that thing looks good in your hands and congrads with getting it. I'm sure that we all have thanked you from time to time with some stupid question we all have asked you so thanks again and it seems to have paid off. Let us know how well that lil guy works. Even though i'm thinking of getting the electric version do to the fact that Steve from offshoreelectrics won't race me cuz i dont have an electric!!!!

Ron Olson 04-14-2007 11:06 PM

I've got it sitting here right beside me right now and am slowly looking at everything. One little mod that I had to do was cut off the outer hole on the rudder servo arm as it was hitting the side of the radio box not allowing the servo to move.
As I start messing around with it I will make some changes to see how they work and report back if my ideas worked or not. I can't leave anything alone!

rcBPman04 04-14-2007 11:12 PM

Plop that turn fin off on the left...less weight...!!!!!! Is that a carbon 3 blade on it or 2? Does that cowling have any holes in it to let the hot air out and fresh air into it or are those little black stickers on the back to "look like a hole"?

I like Green so i think that hull is CRAZYYYYYYYYYY

Ron Olson 04-15-2007 12:05 AM

Yeah, the left turn fin will probably be tossed off to the side after I make a few passes with it if not before-hand.
The scoop over the winshield decal is real as are the two vents on the rear of the hatch. I may run mine "topless" just because my other mono's don't have them.
there is a chunk of foam up in the bow but I may add another piece for insurance as there is a lot of room on the starboard side. The hatch if used could use a chunk of some kind of floatation material added just in case it comes off during a possible flip.
I won't give out all of what I plan to do with it but leak a little out at a time. Most of the things are no-cost items or cost just a few cents. I'd hate to try something out, let everyone know then discover that it didn't do what I though would.
I didn't think that I'd like the green but it looks much better in person than what it does in any picture that I've seen.

Here is a video that my son shot at the show with Mike doing a little presentation of the boat: http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...t=CLIP0054.flv

gooycheese 04-15-2007 06:27 AM

Thats Sweet Ron. You are a great guy and a great help to alot of people, Nobody deserves it more than you !!!!

Paul

Hydro Junkie 04-16-2007 12:09 AM

Ron, you lucky ***:D
BTW, what's up with the hat and dark glasses? You're not trying to hide your identity are you?[sm=lol.gif]

Ron Olson 04-16-2007 05:25 AM

The glasses aren't really that dark, I don't know why they look that way. The tint helped to cover my blood-shot eyes as I only had 3 hours sleep before heading to Toledo.
As for the hat, I can't find my RCU hat so I had to wear that as a Red Wings fan plus it wasn't all grubby from work.

Russ Williamson 04-16-2007 07:53 PM

SuperVee 27 Nitro's arrived and now available from your LHS.
Have fun!
Rw

Ron Olson 04-16-2007 08:07 PM

I've got to thank Russ also for the boat as it was he and Mike that donated it to me. If today and tomorrow wasn't so busy with other things that have ot be done it might have been on the water already. Friday or Sunday looks like my best shots as right now they are predicting thunderstorms for Saturday.

unclecrash 04-16-2007 08:39 PM

Sweet looking boat I like the green along with the graphics.Reminds me of my Artic cat. All my friends call it a ditch pickle:D

Ron Olson 04-16-2007 09:07 PM

There's a name for it, the Pond Pickle!:D Nahhhh.

ryan_t888 04-17-2007 08:42 AM

Good Job Ron, you deserve it! Keep us posted on performance and such.

Ryan

sleepy306 04-17-2007 05:08 PM

Ron, you luckky Dawg! I want one.

Ron Olson 04-17-2007 05:24 PM

Order one then!:D
I took it down to a LHS today to show it off. One of the electric car racers there is looking at the Super-Vee as they have a red one now sitting there. I just finished installing a Ni-MH 5-cell battery pack iin it and upgraded to a Futaba 2PL because I had one.

FE_Chris 04-17-2007 09:04 PM

Ron, To bad my electric version is gonna run right off and leave yer nitro version! Errr.....well.... for about 5 mins :D

Nice boat ron! congrats!

Everyone else, don't think for a second ron and I ar'nt gonna race here in about a month or so. I've got a stock prop that I can throw on, as ron can use his too we can have a pretty fair race and see. In all honesty I would bet both boats are really close in performance.

Anyone know how much this things weighs fuled up on a 5-cell pack ready to rip?

Ron Olson 04-17-2007 09:16 PM

No idea on the weight with them loaded but we ought to get them on the water at the same time just to do a speed comparison. It's pretty much stock out of the box with nothing done yet to improve performance. I did take the left turn fin off but that would only take a minute to bolt back on. I ought to have Mark bring me up a gallon of 45% to bring it down to where most people would run theirs instead of my 65%.
I was going to port match the header but it looks like Aquacraft did a good job there so I left it alone.
If you whip on me too much I can always pull my NR .21 carb off the OS .12!

GRANT ED 04-18-2007 04:07 AM

Has anyone got the goods on how she runs??? The suspense is killing me. :)