RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Going electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/6385548-going-electric.html)

bensidus197217 09-18-2007 07:52 PM

Going electric

That's it I had enough of this nitro stuff I'm going electric

CadillacDTS2001 09-18-2007 07:54 PM

RE: Going electric

HA HA YES!!!
welcome to a world of endless speed and super light wallets!
Now. . . only to get Ron to come to the dark side!

BTW you can keep the 3.5CC O/B and use to make a electric outboard tunnel.

Dan S 09-18-2007 10:13 PM

Ben,
Sorry to hear that, but you didn't give us a chance to really help you out.

You never told us what size K&B you had, what fuel and glow plug you were using, you were even offered to send your motor in to a great guy and he would have got that motor running.

I know, its not the same when we do it ourselves, but to be able to help you out we need as much info as possible, I am sorry that you have poured a good amount of cash into that motor but I don't know who told you to replace all those parts.

Take care,

Dan.

Team A-Hull 09-19-2007 12:13 AM

Your going to have issues either way. There is always going to be a time when your going to get frustrated. Just hang in there and throw out a couple more post to figure it out.

Sean Bowf 09-19-2007 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: bensidus197217

That's it I had enough of this nitro stuff I'm going electric
I think Grim made a hell of a gracious offer in your other thread, that you probably need to take him up on...

Sean

bensidus197217 09-19-2007 12:56 AM

It's a K+B 3.5 or.21 cubic inch. The reason I bought a new piston and liner was because I'm used to the habits of much bigger engines like big cat diesels. On any engine I have worked on and to date I have rebuilt over 200 truck and yacht engines, the piston will slide the length of the bore with little change. I learned from my hobby dealer that these rotten little motors are tapered so I not knowing better and thinking I knew enough about engines in general sanded the taper right out of it. It did slide nicely but hence no compression. I replaced the piston and liner,tightened every screw, changed every gasket changed glow plugs, tried starting in either direction. I blew the excess fuel out the cylinder with the glow plug removed because I was informed I flooded it by setting the needle valve between four to five turns. I put the glow plug back in changed the batteries in the glow plug battery pack started with the mixture screw turned out one turn then with each five seconds of cranking would turn out the screw one quarter turn till I got to three and one half turns. All I could get this pile of scrap aluminum to do was help the starter motor turn faster but not run on it's own and heat it's little self up. I also previous to all this cleaned the carb and blew it out with compressed air, it has black body with brass fittings. I never sent it off in a box because I haven't been on this website long enough to really know who is who and am always somewhat skeptical about dealings over the internet. My hobby dealer says to bring it into him and he will see if he can get it running I have been dealing with him for 25 years now, he knows his stuff. I had a 60 engine years ago and it ran great but the three that followed a 40, 049 and this K+B are really leaving a bad taste. I have done fast electrics and yes they have thier problems too like salt water and water ingress, but when I get them and try them they work! If my hobby guy can't get this thing to go then I will still be able to put the leg to good use. Thanks all for your help. Sorry one more thing it has run twice the first time for about five seconds the second for ten and on the second start up I actually had to pinch the fuel line to get it to shut down. Thanks Jim

bensidus197217 09-19-2007 01:04 AM

Sorry Grim, thanks for the offer, I'm sure you know your stuff and I am sorry if I offended you , I'm sure you understand. Thanks again and maybe I will take you up on that offer but first I'll try to get it done here in my home town. Jim

Vertical3-D 09-19-2007 09:34 AM

This is gonna sound really stupid but I have read both threads and am trying to rule anything else that has not been mentioned out, have you given it a little more throttle when it was helping the started as you put it...the opening should be about 1-2mm at idle...I think I remember the black carb 3.5 I had around 2.5-3 turns somewhere, and 2.5 is usually where I will start an engine if I dont know what it should be, last two engines I fired I started at 3 turns and where too rich...they where an .049 cox(modded to use a standard glowplug) and a CMB .45(with a remote needle from an OS LA .40 plane engine)...anyway if you have someone there who can take it for a couple days and get it running for you thats probablly the best bet, or send it to GRIM...the few times I ran my tunnel it never gave me trouble...